It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greatest Athletes by Number - SI Edition
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:04 pm 

I just picked up a special Sports Illustrated edition showing their choices for greatest athletes of all-time by their number. Of course, this does neglect those who didn't have numbers like athletes pre-1930 or whenever they started using numbers in sports. Anyway found the link:

http://www.si.com/more-sports/photos/20 ... tes-number

Pittsburgh teams athletes who won were considered the best at their number:

47 - Mel Blount
54 - Rich Gossage (one season with the Pirates)
58 - Jack Lambert
59 - Jack Ham
66 - Mario Lemieux
68 - Jaromir Jagr
75 - Joe Greene
76 - Marion Motley (one season with the Steelers, the rest with the Browns)
86 - Hines Ward
87 - Sidney Crosby
98 - Casey Hampton

In consideration (actual winners in parenthesis)
5 - Hank Greenberg (Joe DiMaggio) - Greenberg was only with the Bucs for one season, the rest w/ the Tigers.
7 - Ben Roethlisberger (John Elway)
8 - Willie Stargell (Yogi Berra)
9 - Bill Mazeroski (Ted Williams)
12 - Terry Bradshaw (Tom Brady)
18 - Ted Kluszewski (Peyton Manning) Big Klu with the Bucs two seasons.
21 - Roberto Clemente (Tim Duncan) This is the one I disagree with the most, and I am a big Tim Duncan fan.
22 - Bobby Layne (Emmitt Smith)
24 - Barry Bonds (Willie Mays) Barry wore 24 with the Bucs. He won 25 though, but that was his number with the Giants
26 - Rod Woodson (Wade Boggs) Not sure I agree with this one either
32 - Franco Harris (Jim Brown)
36 - Jerome Bettis (Gaylord Perry)
39 - Dave Parker (Roy Campanella)
43 - Troy Polamalu (Richard Petty)
47 - Francisco Liriano (Mel Blount)
49 - Tim Wakefield (Ron Guidry)
51 - James Farrior (Dick Butkus)
52 - Mike Webster (Ray Lewis)
56 - LaMarr Woodley (Lawrence Taylor)
58 - Kris Letang (Jack Lambert)
63 - Ernie Holmes (Gene Upshaw) "Hey Eugene! Upshaw! I'm gonna kick your ass!!!" - Ernie Holmes, 1974 AFCCG
64 - Jeff Hartings (Randall McDaniel)
66 - Alan Faneca (Mario Lemieux)
68 - L.C. Greenwood (Jaromir Jagr)
70 - Ernie Stautner (Sam Huff)
71 - Evgeni Malkin (Alex Karras)
77 - Paul Coffey (Red Grange)
78 - Dwight White (Anthony Munoz)
81 - Marian Hossa (Dick "Night Train" Lane)
82 - John Stallworth, Martin Straka (Raymond Berry)
83 - Heath Miller (Ted Hendricks)
88 - Lynn Swann (Alan Page)
91 - Kevin Greene (Sergei Federov)
92 - James Harrison (Reggie White)
93 - Petr Nedved (Dwight Freeney)
94 - Chad Brown (Charles Haley)
95 - Greg Lloyd, Alexei Morozov (Richard Dent)

Post subject: Re: Greatest Athletes by Number - SI Edition
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:14 pm 

Tim Duncan!! Gotta be fuckin' kidding me!!

And Alan Page over Lynn Swann!!
*Pittsburgh......12 + 88 = 6
*Minnesota.....Take your pick + 88 = 0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:50 am 

Yeah, that's the most egregious error going with Duncan over the Great One, and like you OF, I like Duncan a lot. But c'mon. Clemente is a legend. He had to endure his own special prejudices especially with the Pittsburgh media at the time AND had he played in NYC or LA, he would have gotten the press he so richly deserved.

Gotta say though, there's plenty of Pittsburgh representation on that list.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:45 pm 
I would change-

7- BR wins...Such a shame TD rehabilitated the choking bitch Elway.

12- TB wins...rings and own plays vs less rings and a cinematographer in his ear.

21- Icon wins vs stiff ass Sasquatch playing a girls sport.

24- BB wins...yeah Willie was the best outfielder I ever saw but chicks did the long ball...swelled HR king greater then iconic figure.

26- RW wins...Boggs? You have to fucking being kidding me...

39- Cobra hands down...sports writers and there sentimental bullshit...

43- TP...the only racing event I recognize as sport is GTA post San Andreas....

88- Swann...Page was very good...but his end story elevates him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:51 pm 

Zivco wrote:
I would change-

7- BR wins...Such a shame TD rehabilitated the choking bitch Elway.

12- TB wins...rings and own plays vs less rings and a cinematographer in his ear.

21- Icon wins vs stiff ass Sasquatch playing a girls sport.

24- BB wins...yeah Willie was the best outfielder I ever saw but chicks did the long ball...swelled HR king greater then iconic figure.

26- RW wins...Boggs? You have to fucking being kidding me...

39- Cobra hands down...sports writers and there sentimental bullshit...

43- TP...the only racing event I recognize as sport is GTA post San Andreas....

88- Swann...Page was very good...but his end story elevates him.

Love it Zivco! I do like Campy though. Hard to argue with 3 MVP's in five seasons on a perennial pennant winner like Brooklyn. And he's a HOFer and lost good seasons to the Negro Leagues and later on the accident. He would have destroyed the ball in the L.A. Colosseum.

Absolutely agree wih the rest of it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:51 pm 
JL 58, mostly trusted my grandfather on Camp as he was before my time. Baseball was my grandfathers game and when they would play the Camp bio over and over back in the 70's he was always ranting the story was better then the player was...Scooter Rizz and those money store commercials would set him off as well. That generation of PGHers really thought the Yanks and Dodgers were somewhat blown out of proportion because of the big media center thing...no denying those championships but there opinion was very good became HOF with that exposure.

I just took a quick look at lifetime stats, remembered Parkers cannon in that all star game and went with it. To tell you the truth Berra's stats kinda blew me away...much better player then the good hearted idiot quotes he is remembered for lead you to believe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:04 pm 
Who got 63?

<rant>
The navigation on that site is absolutely horrid. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to find a full list.

Hate it when site designers choose artistic merit over functionality (you can have both, people!).

</rant>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:52 pm 

Quote:
21 - Roberto Clemente (Tim Duncan) This is the one I disagree with the most, and I am a big Tim Duncan fan.

I usually don't pay much mind to shit like this, but...GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:35 am 

You are all fucking insane re: Clemente. Tim Duncan is arguably the greatest basketball player of all-time. Don't believe me? Only man to win a championship in three separate decades. Look at his stats. His Per/36M stats somehow have not changed. The man has not fucking aged. Oh yeah, he completely reinvented the way he plays basketball. He was a dominate back-to-the-basket post player when he entered the league. Now, he operates much more in a PnR/PnP motion system. How many other greats can claim that?

Duncan is on a level with Le Magnifique, Jordan, Woods, Ruth, Jim Brown, Bonds, Federer, and few others. Clemente is a notch below those guys.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:05 am 
Bah...first basketball blows...

Start with the premise it's the least important sport...end with the key to his success is a pituitary gland run amuck.

Really...basketball, soccer, and tennis should be women only.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:55 am 
Zivco wrote:

Start with the premise it's the least important sport...end with the key to his success is a pituitary gland run amuck.

I agree with those, except I'd include baseball on that list.

If you spend 75% of the game scratching your nuts and spitting sunflower seeds, it's probably not an intense sport. At least basketball and soccer players need to be in shape.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:58 am 

Crosby4Life wrote:
Zivco wrote:

I agree with those, except I'd include baseball on that list.

If you spend 75% of the game scratching your nuts and spitting sunflower seeds, it's probably not an intense sport. At least basketball and soccer players need to be in shape.

Tennis, soccer, and basketball players are generally all in much better physical shape compared to baseball players. I wonder if many of you even play tennis at a proficient level. It is actually quite demanding.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:15 am 
Hitting a baseball at the MLB level is so difficult...and it takes some guts. Most fielding requires some athleticsism. There is an element of danger.

To me...tennis, soccer, and basketball are for girls...or under 10 years because you wouldn't want to hurt themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:15 am 

Crosby4Life wrote:
Who got 63?

<rant>
The navigation on that site is absolutely horrid. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to find a full list.

Hate it when site designers choose artistic merit over functionality (you can have both, people!).

</rant>

Gene Upshaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:19 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
You are all fucking insane re: Clemente. Tim Duncan is arguably the greatest basketball player of all-time. Don't believe me? Only man to win a championship in three separate decades. Look at his stats. His Per/36M stats somehow have not changed. The man has not fucking aged. Oh yeah, he completely reinvented the way he plays basketball. He was a dominate back-to-the-basket post player when he entered the league. Now, he operates much more in a PnR/PnP motion system. How many other greats can claim that?

Duncan is on a level with Le Magnifique, Jordan, Woods, Ruth, Jim Brown, Bonds, Federer, and few others. Clemente is a notch below those guys.

I like Duncan a lot, but you're the only person I have ever heard who considered him the GOAT in basketball. Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Big O, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Lebron are normally the candidates.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:25 am 
Zivco wrote:
Hitting a baseball at the MLB level is so difficult

And the threshold for succeeding is much, much lower. If you hit it 25% of the time, you're considered a pretty good hitter.

If you shoot 25% in basketball, stop 25% of shots in hockey, complete 25% of your passes in football, connect on 25% of your shots in tennis, you're doing absolutely horribly and won't have a job for very long at all.

But hit a baseball 25% of the time for your career and you're in consideration for the Hall of Fame.

Quote:
...and it takes some guts. Most fielding requires some athleticsism. There is an element of danger.

To me...tennis, soccer, and basketball are for girls...or under 10 years because you wouldn't want to hurt themselves.

Oh, please. I'd rather field a ground ball in the MLB than take a charge from 6'8", 250 pound Lebron James.

And I don't think basketball players are particularly tough, just not any less so than baseball players. Baseball players get a hangnail and they're on the DL for 3 damn weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:03 am 

Zivco wrote:
Hitting a baseball at the MLB level is so difficult...and it takes some guts. Most fielding requires some athleticsism. There is an element of danger.

Yep, same level of athleticism as fielding a grounder. Also, the idea that basketball doesn't have similar levels of danger as baseball seems...crazy to my mind. Baseball injuries probably have higher tails, but the medians are probably the same, if not a bit higher in basketball.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 am 
Crosby4Life wrote:
Oh, please. I'd rather field a ground ball in the MLB than take a charge from 6'8", 250 pound Lebron James.

And I don't think basketball players are particularly tough, just not any less so than baseball players. Baseball players get a hangnail and they're on the DL for 3 damn weeks.

I wasn't clear...I meant the hitting part of it taking guts...for me anyway as I've been in the cage vs 90+...at those speeds there is movement on everything...or I was in a fucked up cage.

As far as James goes...or Shaq...or Barclay...have you ever seen any basketball player attempt to fight? :lol:

I think punch like a basketball player is an insult to throw like a girl. You would think there would be some athletic bleed over...

Don't get me wrong...I think playing basketball is good for your health and I enjoyed playing back in the day...but not even gambling could make it exciting enough for me to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:15 am 

JackLambert58 wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:

I like Duncan a lot, but you're the only person I have ever heard who considered him the GOAT in basketball. Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Big O, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Lebron are normally the candidates.

They aren't paying attention/bored by Duncan's "style. Take a look at this quote from Russell and the accompanying stats: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... t-the-top/.

In my mind, the only two that really compare are Jordan and Duncan. If you compare Jordan to Duncan, Jordan beats Duncan in terms of rate stats. But Duncan played more in the NBA (over 2,000 minutes+ and counting), so that in terms of total output, he probably beats Jordan. Also, while both were defensive geniuses, Duncan played a more crucial defensive spot. Both guys radically changed the way they played the game. However, Duncan was much more effective late into his career as compared to Jordan. Both were big winners, with Jordan edging Duncan by one title, though Duncan proved he could win in probably 2.5 different eras of NBA basketball. Both had some really good teammates and coaches. We can call that one a wash.

People really don't give Duncan his due. The idea that Wilt, Magic, Bird, the Big O, Russell, or LBJ compare to Duncan is laughably to me. They either don't have the statistical domination, longevity, or the championship pedigree to compare to Duncan.

I'd grant you Kareem (who like Duncan is criminally underrated). So, for me the only guys really in the discussion for GOAT in basketball are Jordan, Kareem, and Duncan. LBJ could get there if he can get Cleveland a couple championships.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:17 am 

Zivco wrote:
Crosby4Life wrote:

I wasn't clear...I meant the hitting part of it taking guts...for me anyway as I've been in the cage vs 90+...at those speeds there is movement on everything...or I was in a fucked up cage.

As far as James goes...or Shaq...or Barclay...have you ever seen any basketball player attempt to fight? :lol:

I think punch like a basketball player is an insult to throw like a girl. You would think there would be some athletic bleed over...

Don't get me wrong...I think playing basketball is good for your health and I enjoyed playing back in the day...but not even gambling could make it exciting enough for me to watch.

That's nice. I hate watching soccer. I find it really boring. I still recognize that the best soccer player is more deserving of an honor than the 20th best football player, even if I largely prefer football.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:33 am 
Zeke5123 wrote:
That's nice. I hate watching soccer. I find it really boring. I still recognize that the best soccer player is more deserving of an honor than the 20th best football player, even if I largely prefer football.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In a world populated entirely by pussy.