It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GORUCK (fitness related)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:38 pm 
http://www.GORUCK.COM

So, I've done two of the GORUCK "Light" events. And wow, were they ever awesome!

A summary of the GORUCK Light:

You're in a class of about 20-30 other people. Each person is equipped with a ruck (a military-grade backpack) that is loaded with a minimum of 20 pounds of bricks, a 3 Liter water bladder, and other essentials such as snacks and maybe a change of socks or shirt. Rucks never touch the ground unless given permission. Permission is rarely granted. You're also required to carry an american flag and a team weight of your choosing. Team weight must be 25 pounds. Like your rucks and the flag, the team weight cannot touch the ground and will be passed around to different team members as the ruck goes on.

The class is led by an active (or formerly active) member of the military special operations branches. That means he was either a Navy Seal, a Green Beret, a Recon Marine, an Army Ranger, or something in that sphere of badasses. This person is known as your "cadre".

You'll start with what is known as the Welcome Party. This is meant to get your body primed for what's ahead, and to quickly weed out the people who don't belong. Every cadre has his own approach to the Welcome Party, but here was my latest experience:

Cadre sets his pack on the "deck" and walks about 50 yards away from it. From there, he orders us to get on all 4s and bear crawl all 50 yards (again, while wearing packs). The same distance is repeated many times with the following drills:

Crab Walks (rucks sit on your stomach)
Duck Walks
Lunges
Low Crawls
Seal Crawls (You crawl the entire distance using nothing but your arms. Your pelvis, knees, and ankles are not to leave the ground, much like a seal does through the snow).
Ruck Sprint
Fireman's Carry (with a partner)

Once the cadre is satisfied that everyone is warmed up, the ruck begins. I won't cover every detail, but the Light covers 10ish miles over 6 hours. During that time, there are frequent stops for more physical training drills. When not doing PT drills, expect to march along while carrying your ruck overhead, out in front, or while carrying "wounded" classmates...among other surprises. We actually pulled a water-drenched log out of the Allegheny River in front of Heinz Lofts and carried it all the way down the Riverwalk to the Carnegie Science Center (and stopped to do PT with the log, of course). The funny part was that this was around 6:30PM the day of the Steelers/Bills preseason game. So we did all of this in front of 100s of drunk Steeler fans who were tailgating at the docks in front of Heinz Field.

It's a team-based event that is meant to be impossible for anyone to finish without help. It's also meant to be a mental test. Every event features a water section. It's not so bad if it's 75 degrees out. In fact, it might even feel good in that case. But my first even was in 45 degree weather in early April. We hopped in a fountain in North Allegheny, did about 10 minutes of PT, then got out. Instead of continuing our ruck, he made us all sit down and stop moving for 15 minutes. The reason? He wanted us to feel the early effects of hypothermia before we continued so that we'd have something to push through, mentally.

So that's an overview of the Light. The next step up is the Challenge, which I'm signed up for in December. It's 12 hours and covers around 17 miles. And starts at 9PM and runs through 9AM.

If that's not enough for you, there's the Heavy. It runs a full 24 hours and also introduces extra team weight. Heavy's have a 50% pass rate.

And if you're clinically insane, there's the Selection. Which is a full 48 hours, nonstop. And has a 7% pass rate.

But the events are really fantastic. They've completely changed how I work out. They really made me realize the difference between gym strength and functional strength. I don't even care about things like curls and bench press anymore. I spend far more time working all the little support muscles that I didn't even know about before. And best of all, the community is amazing. I've become good friends with many people from my classes, and we train together quite often. Even the cadre are great. They don't just do their jobs and go home. They encourage you to friend them on Facebook so you can get ahold of them later. I've asked them for workout tips, reading suggestions ("Becoming a Supple Leopard" is as eye-opening as the title is ridiculous), or whatever else. They actually seem to like helping people out, and even better, are always willing to share some beers (and war stories) after events.

Post subject: Re: GORUCK (fitness related)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:14 pm 

Both posters make compelling arguments. I'm torn. The flag carrying thing is kind of a turn off. But I'm not really into weed either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:38 pm 
SteelerDog wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Both posters make compelling arguments. I'm torn. The flag carrying thing is kind of a turn off. But I'm not really into weed either.

in your case Litster you can substitute weed for some rare 16th century hand ground coffee no one gives a damn about

You're unbelievably pathetic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:46 pm 

Crosby4Life wrote:
SteelerDog wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

in your case Litster you can substitute weed for some rare 16th century hand ground coffee no one gives a damn about

You're unbelievably pathetic.

I take no offense if this the second person plural.

Coffee ground in the fifteen hundreds?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:49 pm 

Thank you so much for posting. That sounds awesome crosby. I love that type of workout myself. I get so bored so quickly with gym routines. Free weights, cardio, machines etc... Blah.

I've been looking for a type of exercise like cross fit but without the cost of joining cross fit gyms. The wife and I did a lot of walking last summer. 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours a night. Nothing extreme. Bicycle trails and such. I was packing 50LBS of workout dumb bells in an old Army gunny-sack and that would get the sweat going. Never thought about doing crab crawls and the like until now.

See I'm a cheap ass MF'er. I don't believe in paying to workout. To me it's all about a status symbol and most gyms are meat markets anyways. In addition to having their small clicks of workout people hogging the equipment. Not for me.

See this is something I can do for myself and it doesn't cost me anything but time and sweat. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:04 pm 
Steelafan77 wrote:
Thank you so much for posting. That sounds awesome crosby. I love that type of workout myself. I get so bored so quickly with gym routines. Free weights, cardio, machines etc... Blah.

I've been looking for a type of exercise like cross fit but without the cost of joining cross fit gyms. The wife and I did a lot of walking last summer. 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours a night. Nothing extreme. Bicycle trails and such. I was packing 50LBS of workout dumb bells in an old Army gunny-sack and that would get the sweat going. Never thought about doing crab crawls and the like until now.

See I'm a cheap ass MF'er. I don't believe in paying to workout. To me it's all about a status symbol and most gyms are meat markets anyways. In addition to having their small clicks of workout people hogging the equipment. Not for me.

See this is something I can do for myself and it doesn't cost me anything but time and sweat. Thanks again.

http://training.goruck.com/category/6-week-plan/

Here's their 6 week plan for getting in shape for a Challenge. Lots of good stuff that don't require a gym membership, there (click each week for a breakdown of exercises for each day).

And that's the beauty of these things. You get a couple sandbags, a good ruck, and you can kick the shit out of yourself 10X worse than the average douche does at the local Planet Fitness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:35 pm 

Sounds too intense for me. The workout and the 500 year old coffee

Kudos to you

Fifteen years ago maybe, can't do that shit anymore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:59 pm 

People must be really unmotivated to get shape on their own these days. So many goddamn gimmicks everywhere you look. At the gym, in groups, crawling through the mud. This reminds me of something a bunch of white collar cubicle dwellers would do at a teamwork building retreat and then slap each other on the back about how badass it was. Basically people that hit 35 years old and realize they've never in their lives tasted real, intense competition of any sort. Yes, i'm a dick.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:20 pm 

SteelerDog wrote:
R S wrote:
People must be really unmotivated to get shape on their own these days. So many goddamn gimmicks everywhere you look. At the gym, in groups, crawling through the mud. This reminds me of something a bunch of white collar cubicle dwellers would do at a teamwork building retreat and then slap each other on the back about how badass it was. Basically people that hit 35 years old and realize they've never in their lives tasted real, intense competition of any sort. Yes, i'm a dick.

well said

Neither one of you are being a dick. Just your opinions. I like gimmicks. I'm tired of the same old same old.

I am Fat. I hate being Fat. I hate that I allowed myself to become Fat. I'm looking for a DIY approach. Instead of spending hard earned money while gaining little results and/or burning out before the 3rd month of the same old bullshit I did in high school for PE 25+ years ago.

I also Hike, Bike, Swim, Fish, Hunt, Football, Basketball and Softball, Hacky Sack, Skate Boarding anything to stay active. I could start running marathons like my 1 year younger brother did. Fuck That! Now that I'm in my 40's I find it a challenge to stay on top of those activities. You know with having to work for a living. Raising my last child of 5 children. Everyone I know also working for a living with little time for activities.

Just a newer concept I hadn't put much thought into and was already more or less doing something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:10 am 
That's sick, sick, sick. Congrats if you accomplish that...really, that isn't training, that's accomplishing something.

But a wee word...the functional strength stuff is a load of shit. Nothing will get you strong like heavy weights...functional is a matter of what else you do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:29 am 

R S wrote:

I've always been taught the best exercise is anything you can stick too.

Your single, no kids, and don't have any idea yet what responsibility is or what having all your free time spoken for is yet either. The world would be a better place if we could all put on our $75 dollar spandex shorts that match our new adidas headband and wristbands and hit that assisted dip machine over by the wall of mirrors and do our circuit training. But not everyone can or wants too.

I would think motivation is the exact opposite of what you tried to describe. Maybe you should try that workout to see who's in better shape.

Yes, I'm a dick too

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:13 am 

R S wrote:

I did this stuff in real life many years ago. My fitness program to prepare for that training was simple: Run, pushups, situps, pullups and road marching. Never went to a gym to do this and never lifted to prepare. I still run 5Ks and my prep is running. Still don't go to a gym. I just do pushups when I'm in the mood.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:36 am 
Zivco wrote:
That's sick, sick, sick. Congrats if you accomplish that...really, that isn't training, that's accomplishing something.

But a wee word...the functional strength stuff is a load of shit. Nothing will get you strong like heavy weights...functional is a matter of what else you do.

It's not about the weight, it's about what you do with it. What I meant is that the old-school routine of bench/squat/legpress/curls isn't functional lifting.

There's a ton of stuff the traditional exercises miss. All the little support and connector muscles that are ignore when you do isolated exercises. I agree that heavy weights are needed, but if you're just using them to bench press and squat, you're missing a ton of stuff that complex exercises hit. That doesn't mean you should never do those exercises, just that they shouldn't be the only thing you do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:23 am 

Zivco wrote:

Really? 'Cause at my peak if training I could easily out chin up and out pull up guys that could bench more than twice as me. Their grip strength was shit and couldn't maintain enough endurance to best me. I never lift weights, not ever. Maybe functional strength is bullshit, but muscle endurance is not. Gymnasts that rarely lift but pull their own body weight up hours every day say hello. You could bench 500 pounds easy and fail miserably at doing an iron cross lift. But the gymnast who is not near as strong as you does it without effort. Pretty sure function matters unless I misunderstand. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:39 am 
Crosby4Life wrote:
Zivco wrote:

It's not about the weight, it's about what you do with it. What I meant is that the old-school routine of bench/squat/legpress/curls isn't functional lifting.

There's a ton of stuff the traditional exercises miss. All the little support and connector muscles that are ignore when you do isolated exercises. I agree that heavy weights are needed, but if you're just using them to bench press and squat, you're missing a ton of stuff that complex exercises hit. That doesn't mean you should never do those exercises, just that they shouldn't be the only thing you do.

First, I could never do that...hats off.

What I meant was....imo if you want to get stronger for sport there is nothing that comes close to compound exercises for relatively low reps. I believe the way you make that strength functional to that sport is training the technique/drills of that sport. I'm all for the limited use of isolation exercises. But I don't believe in stability training, unilever training, and that sort of thing...really I find the whole concept of functional strength absurd...To me it's aerobics instructors run amuck... What you are doing annihilates the CNS...it's great for endurance and your heart, but overtime you will actually diminish strength...although I can't imagine that the training you do for this event is close to the duration of the event itself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 am 
Still Lit wrote:
Zivco wrote:

Really? 'Cause at my peak if training I could easily out chin up and out pull up guys that could bench more than twice as me. Their grip strength was shit and couldn't maintain enough endurance to best me. I never lift weights, not ever. Maybe functional strength is bullshit, but muscle endurance is not. Gymnasts that rarely lift but pull their own body weight up hours every day say hello. You could bench 500 pounds easy and fail miserably at doing an iron cross lift. But the gymnast who is not near as strong as you does it without effort. Pretty sure function matters unless I misunderstand. Just my opinion.

Lit...strength training has nothing to do with gymnastics or marathons. And Lit...at 240 lbs I could do 10 chins with 75 lbs hanging. Strength training is an arena of it's own. A person who trains with weights and does nothing else is likely going to have endurance limitations. But I'll take the high level athlete that strength trains in the traditional manner over the bodyweight guy everytime.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:16 am 

Zivco wrote:
strength training has nothing to do with gymnastics.

Muscles adapt to the task they're trained to do. If all you ever do is push weight away from you, there are certain things your muscles will not be as good at. I don't care how much weight you lift, if you haven't trained your muscles for it, you're not going to just up and do an iron cross. It is a different task on the muscles. Not important enough to argue over. Believe what you like.

I may very well be wrong, but I'll let others judge whether gymnastics requires a ton of strength (of a different sort from weightlifting, to be sure). Just observe the holds from 20 seconds on. Nothing to do with strength? That buggers the imagination.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:56 am 
Lit...I don't want to go on about this...but I talked about strength training...not strength itself. There is a whole realm of exercises that focus on pulling. Muscles adapt to range of motion and load. That happens in all exercises and is one of the reasons for variation of exercise and reps...say incline bp vs flat bp, 15 reps vs 5.

All exercise is good...but you really aren't strength training without weights. There are fast twitch fibers and slow twitch fibers and you really can't hit the fast twitch fibers without a significant load.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:00 pm 

Iron_City wrote:
R S wrote:

I've always been taught the best exercise is anything you can stick too.

Your single, no kids, and don't have any idea yet what responsibility is or what having all your free time spoken for is yet either. The world would be a better place if we could all put on our $75 dollar spandex shorts that match our new adidas headband and wristbands and hit that assisted dip machine over by the wall of mirrors and do our circuit training. But not everyone can or wants too.

I would think motivation is the exact opposite of what you tried to describe. Maybe you should try that workout to see who's in better shape.

Yes, I'm a dick too

So you think people will stick with that type of training?? Ha. They will move on to the new fad in a couple months. Or they will burn out. I don't wanna hear your sob story about the wife and kids, no time, boohoo. Especially someone who posts on this message board all the time. You can get in an efficient workout in 50 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:02 pm 

Fury wrote:
R S wrote:

I did this stuff in real life many years ago. My fitness program to prepare for that training was simple: Run, pushups, situps, pullups and road marching. Never went to a gym to do this and never lifted to prepare. I still run 5Ks and my prep is running. Still don't go to a gym. I just do pushups when I'm in the mood.

When i see people with no military background, trying to tough it and imagine they are in the military it just screams fad to me. Its not something they will or can stick with. Just some fantasizing of actually being badass like the guys that do it for a living. Kinda like Neil Huntington and the Pirates SEAL training.