It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Supplement question for fitness posters
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18 pm 

"Don't eat from 7pm to 11am....or 8pm to 12pm. No toast, no eggs. Coffee is fine, no cream or sugar though. If you do that for a year you likely won't be a fatass anymore. It's the easiest no brain way to keep from turning into an obese slob like 80% of US citizenry. If you wanna really be in the top 5% of fitness in the United States of Gluttony try working out 3-4 days a week with the fasting."

I agree with this though I would tell most people don't eat after 9 pm and skip breakfast and lunch if you can. Terry Crews waits until 2 pm every day (though he sort of cheats with BCAAs). The point is to keep the feeding window under 8 hours or 6. You don't even have to do this every day. Then it's really not that big of a deal to do a 24 hour fast which is eating dinner only. And if you really want to go hard core, extended fasts, but be careful with minerals and have it medically supervised.

The other advantage to skipping lunch or avoiding carbs at lunch is no crashes in the afternoon.

Get before and after bloodwork from a good primary care doc including insulin and inflammatory markers and measurements (waist is more important than BMI), so if you backslide you can figure out what the problem is. If you're in an HMO you might have to seek out someone privately because they are not keen on this and simply give the same advice that doesn't work, like calories in calories out.

One other thing I've experimented with is eating more game and organ meat. There really is no food better than liver. And nothing more delicious than elk backstrap.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:05 pm 

The point is to make it easy for people to try it.

We've been so ingrained with the bullshit premise of breakfast being so important and even the more recent bullshit fad of eat 8-9 small meals a day because it will speed up your metabolism.

Telling them to wait until dinner to eat anything will likely lead to most people not even trying fasting. Saying don't eat until lunch is much less shock to the morbidly obese system.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:35 pm 

R S wrote:
The point is to make it easy for people to try it.

We've been so ingrained with the bullshit premise of breakfast being so important and even the more recent bullshit fad of eat 8-9 small meals a day because it will speed up your metabolism.

Telling them to wait until dinner to eat anything will likely lead to most people not even trying fasting. Saying don't eat until lunch is much less shock to the morbidly obese system.

I dunno. I consider condensed eating windows a fad as much numerous small meals. Every person is a bit different. I'm up at 5:30 every morning. I need breakfast to function. Some people do well with many small meals. Some people struggle trying that, either because of life style or they just don't feel satiated with 300 calorie meals. Some people can do condensed windows of eating like you are suggesting. Others cant. Key is really to eat a balanced diet of nutritious foods, sensible portions, as little processed foods as possible, and limit refined sugars and alcohol. Whatever you need to do lifestyle-wise to make that happen can work. Whether that be many small meals, or limited eating windows, or a near religious tracking of food intake in a food app (what I do). Lots of tricks out there to help people accomplish the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:36 pm 

You only THINK you need breakfast to function.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:20 am 

Sorry to say, but most of this is genetics along with/or processed food. As I have crept in to my 40's, I have noticed I have to watch my carbs more and really limit alcohol, but that's my makeup. I still weigh pretty much the same as I did in my 20's. Some people burn calories faster then others, exercise helps with this. Laziness is probably one of the biggest culprits. Much easier to pick up 2 double cheeseburger then it is to make a veggie drink. I eat mostly all organic food, fruits and vegetables daily, and exercise 5 to 6 times a week (walking, light weights). People still cant believe my age, again genetics. If your lucky enough to not have to watch every calorie you eat, or fast, or Atkins, or Keto, or whatever the fuck, count yourself lucky and remember without your genetics, you would more.then likely be a fat fuck too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:41 am 

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Sorry to say, but most of this is genetics along with/or processed food. As I have crept in to my 40's, I have noticed I have to watch my carbs more and really limit alcohol, but that's my makeup. I still weigh pretty much the same as I did in my 20's. Some people burn calories faster then others, exercise helps with this. Laziness is probably one of the biggest culprits. Much easier to pick up 2 double cheeseburger then it is to make a veggie drink. I eat mostly all organic food, fruits and vegetables daily, and exercise 5 to 6 times a week (walking, light weights). People still cant believe my age, again genetics. If your lucky enough to not have to watch every calorie you eat, or fast, or Atkins, or Keto, or whatever the fuck, count yourself lucky and remember without your genetics, you would more.then likely be a fat fuck too.

roughly 21% of European adults are obese according to the WHO.

40% of Americans adults are obese according to NCHS study in '15-'16

Those genetics really went to hell in the last couple hundreds years since since coming to the new world! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:14 am 

I'd like to know what the stats are for obesity in Europe in 1970. Before american fast food/ processed food infected Europe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:43 pm 

R S wrote:
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:

Those genetics really went to hell in the last couple hundreds years since since coming to the new world! :roll:

I think processed foods play a big role in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:00 pm 

My point is the genetic excuse and thyroid excuse are largely bullshit. I don't consider someone's parents eating like shit and being fat, and their children doing the same as genetic factors.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:05 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I'd like to know what the stats are for obesity in Europe in 1970. Before american fast food/ processed food infected Europe.

Probably about the same it was for the USA in the 40's and 50's. I'd guess.

This subject aggravates me to no end. Single payer healthcare sounds great. But when you have a country stacked full of people so unhealthy due to their own choices, It makes it very hard for me to pay more for a system to support more turds. Why are smokers the lepers of society yet morbidly obese folks are celebrated as big is beautiful? They are equal dregs on the healthcare system. Seems unfair to me. End Rant.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:36 am 

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
R S wrote:
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:

I think processed foods play a big role in it.

I'd venture to guess that lifestyle plays a bigger role. Your average European is far more active than the average American.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:13 am 

It's not genetics. Google pics of Forbes Field crowds in the 1950s and 1960s. Those are your grandparents.

Stop kidding yourselves. It's sugar. This blew up when the government told us to stop eating fat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 am 

Ok, it's not genetics. So if your parents are short, there is a really good chance you will be short as well. If cancer runs on both sides of your family, your kind of fucked. Alcoholism, your more at risk. So does genetics play any part of anything. Sounds like Mongo logic to me. My metabolism runs super fast which allows me to eat alot of food and not gain weight. I guess I am just better then everyone else, not genetics. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:52 am 

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Ok, it's not genetics. So if your parents are short, there is a really good chance you will be short as well. If cancer runs on both sides of your family, your kind of fucked. Alcoholism, your more at risk. So does genetics play any part of anything. Sounds like Mongo logic to me. My metabolism runs super fast which allows me to eat alot of food and not gain weight. I guess I am just better then everyone else, not genetics. :roll:

It isn't that genetics doesn't matter. It is just that humans have not genetically changed all that much over the last several thousand years. Yet we keep getting fatter. If genetics aren't different then what has changed? Pretty clearly it is food consumption (both what we eat, quantities, and our eating habits) and our activity levels. Studies have shown the average Amish person take more than 3x times the numbers of steps per day as an average American. Similar studies have shown various Europeans take between 2000-4000 more steps per day than Americans. So it is no coincidence that Europeans have lower obesity rates. And I've seen a lot of Amish people. Been to Lancaster many times and I grew up not far from Amish communities near Smicksburg and Dayton. I've never seen a fat Amish man.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:06 am 

Quote:
I've never seen a fat Amish man.

This is true...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:39 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
This blew up when the government told us to stop eating fat.
This is the dumbest thing I've read today. And it's only 1:39 in the afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:43 pm 

Coming from CorTen, it's the ultimate compliment since he's the AOC of SteelerFury.

Government and academic nutrition pushed saturated fat is bad around 1980. Around the same time, HCFS came into wide use. If you don't get satiated on fat, you will substitute sugar. Look at any graph of obesity diabetes and the onset of nonalcoholic liver disease it takes off at that time. There is a direct correlation between the attempt to eliminate fat from American diets and fat waistlines.

DIETARY FAT does not cause body fat. Dietary fat is the only macro that does not drive insulin to store sugar as fat. This is why keto works.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:45 pm 

It may be genetics in an individual or a subgroup i.e. Polynesians. Genetics does not explain the advancement of obesity in a population over two generations. Google pics of the March on Washington 1963. MLK was the heaviest guy in most of the pics. African Americans were thin and they were eating bacon and eggs and not eating processed food.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:47 pm 

Coming from the Alex Jones of Steelerfury?

HA!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:55 pm 

Are you more arrogant or ignorant? Typical product of the modern educational system where critical thinking is not taught, but attitude is.

Are you saying that sugar is not the main culprit in the expanding of the American waistline?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-graphs-that-show-what-is-wrong-with-modern-diet#section11

By the way, people, understand the difference between group norms and individual characteristics. If I say NBA players as a group are tall, and you say, yeah, but what about Mugsy Bogues, in a snarky tone, you're not smart at all, you're actually very stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:55 pm 

Good Job!! You've got the strawman argument down pat. You can now move on to logical fallacies. . .

But be sure to include the requisite ad hominem.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:34 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
This blew up when the government told us to stop eating fat.
This is the dumbest thing I've read today. And it's only 1:39 in the afternoon.

Its a well known fact man. I get you and Dan's. politics dont jive, but attacking him on that is foolish

It not a partisan issue.

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/lifesty ... utType=amp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:44 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
It's not genetics. Google pics of Forbes Field crowds in the 1950s and 1960s. Those are your grandparents.

Stop kidding yourselves. It's sugar. This blew up when the government told us to stop eating fat.

You can track the weight gain in the US to the explosive growth of growing corn which led to a lot of HFCS in a lot of foods. Happened in the late 70's to early 80's IIRC. I am sure it is not the ONLY reason but it definitely a reason. HFCS is one of the major reason the calorie increase has happened in the normal diet. Especially for people who can't afford a lot of fruits and vegetables and rely on processed foods.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:43 pm 

You're right but it's both. HCFS is in a lot of processed food but both are glucose and fructose. Sucrose is 50/50 and HCFS is 45/55 I think so it's not that much higher. The damage is tremendous either way. Fructose is metabolized by the liver using the same pathway as alcohol. Before 1980, all fatty liver disease was from alcohol, since 1980 nonalcoholic fatty liver disease has taken off, even in kids. Sugar in all forms substituted for the satiety that was eliminated on low fat. Diabetes type 2 never used to be seen in kids, now it's becoming common. It has a worse prognosis than HIV. It's a national tragedy but we go on subsidizing these criminals.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:16 am 

Thought I’d give a field report.

Currently sitting among the sans culottes in the train station below Charles de Gaulle Airport. There are some fat motherfuckers speaking French. Not as fat as the people speaking American English, though.

Still Lit out.