It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any fly fishermen here?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:55 pm 

Figure there has to be a few... anyway, I’ve been planning to take a fly fishing trip out to Montana for like 20 years and am finally going this summer. Very pumped. Rented a house on the Yellowstone River for 6 days, will be fishing the Gallatin, Madison, Firehole, and Yellowstone Rivers.

Anyone here have experience there?

Post subject: Re: Any fly fishermen here?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:22 am 

Not a fisherman but you might want to think about elk or mule deer hunting nearby.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:16 am 

No experience as I’ve never fly fished but wanted to say have a great time that’s gonna be awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:24 am 

yep,
Started fly fishing when I was 11.. Started tying my own fly's by 14 and then started building my own Fenwick fly rods at 16
Was taught by a legend outdoorsman by the name of Warren Zimmerman in Coudersport, Great man, taught me to trap as well..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:24 pm 

I fished south of Glacier one summer. South fork of the Flathead river.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:56 pm 

Tundralag wrote:
yep,
Started fly fishing when I was 11.. Started tying my own fly's by 14 and then started building my own Fenwick fly rods at 16
Was taught by a legend outdoorsman by the name of Warren Zimmerman in Coudersport, Great man, taught me to trap as well..

Good stuff. I’ve been an avid trout fisherman for over 30 years, started fly fishing about 20 years ago, just got heavy into it and started tying my own flies the past handful of years. Fly fish for steelhead in the Erie tribs now as well. When I lived in Washington state I only went after steelhead with conventional tackle.

After this trip I’m going to hit three or four of the best streams in Colorado next year. Anyway, this is the place I’ll be staying at in Montana this summer. Heaven on earth!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:59 pm 

That’s pretty awesome SP. Beautiful country and what a great time that should be.

Bear country?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:21 pm 

955876 wrote:
That’s pretty awesome SP. Beautiful country and what a great time that should be.

Bear country?

Grizzly. Will be packing a can of bear spray and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:31 pm 

And if that fails maybe a 12 gauge loaded up with some Brenneke slugs... ;)

Don’t wanna read about you in the papers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:15 am 

I've fly fished many moons ago. I'll be getting back into it as my grandson absolutely loves fishing and has expressed interest. Never tied my own flies, but will probably look into taking a course to do so with him. Sounds like a great trip - one that I would like to take several years from now when he is a little older. Enjoy and be sure to tell us how ya made out!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 pm 

SP wrote:
Tundralag wrote:
yep,

Good stuff. I’ve been an avid trout fisherman for over 30 years, started fly fishing about 20 years ago, just got heavy into it and started tying my own flies the past handful of years. Fly fish for steelhead in the Erie tribs now as well. When I lived in Washington state I only went after steelhead with conventional tackle.

After this trip I’m going to hit three or four of the best streams in Colorado next year. Anyway, this is the place I’ll be staying at in Montana this summer. Heaven on earth!

Very cool. You need any beer buddies for this excursion?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:56 pm 

SP wrote:
955876 wrote:

Bear country?

Get a bear bell ( read cow bell). If they hear you coming they will not bother you.

Unless you see a cub then get the hell out of there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:14 am 

SP wrote:
Tundralag wrote:
yep,

Don't know much about fishing but Montana is beautiful.

Interesting house...love that dormer and its depth- might be big enough to serve as an inglenook. LIke how they integrated the double gables, interlocking at the bottom. Horizontal supports brought from the interior to the exterior is a trick that the modernist architects of the mid 20th century used often but in smaller residences.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 pm 

SP wrote:
955876 wrote:

Bear country?

If Grizzlies are around there, you better pack a Howitzer.