It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Judge Strikes Down Citizenship Census Question
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:15 pm 

You do realize the National Mall is a zoo every 4th of July and it cost money to pay all those cops around DC and on The Mall to close the roads off every year plus clean up? I mean every single year. I have been living in DC since 1995. The major difference is the president is attending the ceremonies at the mall this year oh yeah and there are some tanks out there sitting on platforms. If the turnout is low this year due to people boycotting Trump then that just makes everyone's job easier.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:55 am 

"In 1970, the Census Bureau began sending around two questionnaires: a short-form questionnaire to gather basic population information and a long form that asked detailed questions about everything from household income to plumbing. The short form went to most households in America. The long form was sent to a much smaller sample of households, 1 in 6. Most people didn't get it.

Starting in 1970, questions about citizenship were included in the long-form questionnaire but not the short form. For instance, in 2000, those who received the long form were asked, "Is this person a CITIZEN of the United States?"

The 2000 long-form survey, sent to a subset of Americans, asked about citizenship. The more widely distributed census short form that year did not.
Census.gov/Screenshot by NPR
The short form kept it simple: name, relationship, age, sex, Hispanic origin, race, marital status and whether the home is owned or rented.

The 2000 census short form asked about race but not citizenship, which the long form that year did ask about.
Census.gov/Screenshot by NPR
Later, the census added the American Community Survey, conducted every year and sent to 3.5 million households. It began being fully implemented in 2005. It asks many of the same questions as the census long-form surveys from 1970 to 2000, including the citizenship question."

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/27/59743651 ... s-question

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:10 am 

https://www.politifact.com/texas/statem ... rvey-law-/
Quote:
The bureau said federal law requires U.S. residents to answer the ACS.

Federal law mandates as much, but the bureau also doesn't seek to penalize individuals who fail to participate. The reality appears to be that recipients can refuse to comply.

By federal law, which has never been enforced, you must answer the census.

Personally, I do not see an issue with the question. The problem ends up when the Government weaponizes the information.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:56 am 

jebrick wrote:
Personally, I do not see an issue with the question. The problem ends up when the Government weaponizes the information.

That's my position. It wasn't for the courts to infer how the question might be used. If the govt were to misuse the information, THEN you have the courts as recourse.

I think given the policies being thrown around for illegal immigrants that we should have a good count/estimate so people can understand the costs being talked about.

Also, just because it might affect the electoral college to benefit one party (I doubt it would), doesn't make it invalid as a political reason. The problem is Democrats NOT including the question would be considered equally a political reason, by the same logic. All of that is beside the point - everyone should want an accurate count, and accurate allocation of electoral votes not for political reasons, but because it's the correct thing to do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5