It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone care to reply pros/cons of medicinal marijuana
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:26 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
I didn't think this is a New Yorker kind of crowd.

At any rate, I'm a little hesitant in posting this. It has flaws. But I'm sure others will pounce on it as an affirmation of the criminalization of cannabis. Or they will label the source as a liberal rag. Whatever.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... illness-1/

I think that just like any drug (in this case THC), it can cause extreme reactions in various individuals.

But on the whole, marijuana is probably the least harmful drug that exists on the planet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:28 am 

Pro's= some mild pain relief
Con's= can still be fired from employment

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
I didn't think this is a New Yorker kind of crowd.

At any rate, I'm a little hesitant in posting this. It has flaws. But I'm sure others will pounce on it as an affirmation of the criminalization of cannabis. Or they will label the source as a liberal rag. Whatever.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... illness-1/

Honestly, I'm not a New Yorker fan at all. But that was one of the few articles i've seen that actually attempted to lay out where most of the research stands.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:40 pm 

We would be a lot further along with knowing the full effects, pros and cons, if the drug hadn't been so demonized and therefore mis-scheduled by the government. Research was set back 80 years because of Reefer Madness propaganda.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
We would be a lot further along with knowing the full effects, pros and cons, if the drug hadn't been so demonized and therefore mis-scheduled by the government. Research was set back 80 years because of Reefer Madness propaganda.
It should, at the very least, be de-scheduled, and made available like alcohol. The facts are in, and they clearly show it's not worse than your average highball. Even three of them.

Then let the debate begin.

It's all about the $$$$.

You don't need a distillery. You don't need bottling or a disinfecting manufacturing process. Anybody can grow it in their back yard. THAT is the problem. Gov can't get it's grubby fingers in your botanical garden.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:43 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
It should, at the very least, be de-scheduled, and made available like alcohol. The facts are in, and they clearly show it's not worse than your average highball. Even three of them.

Then let the debate begin.

It's all about the $$$$.

You don't need a distillery. You don't need bottling or a disinfecting manufacturing process. Anybody can grow it in their back yard. THAT is the problem. Gov can't get it's grubby fingers in your botanical garden.

Oh, govt will find a way to get their “grubby fingers” on it, should they stumble upon your botanical garden. Just like they do when they find the still in the woods behind my home.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:53 pm 

Quick point of clarification - The government could care less about producing/consuming your own home made alcohol. It's when you start selling it that it becomes a problem. With liquor especially, its really not worth the time/effort involved to only still enough for personal use, unless you consider it a hobby.

Having said that, i am 100% clueless on any aspects of growing pot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:10 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Quick point of clarification - The government could care less about producing/consuming your own home made alcohol. It's when you start selling it that it becomes a problem. With liquor especially, its really not worth the time/effort involved to only still enough for personal use, unless you consider it a hobby.

Cannabis is different. That's exactly the point. Growing maryjane is easyish. At least easier than distilling a good whiskey, from what I know. I'd rather spend $50-$100 on a good bottle of scotch from scotland than try to emulate it at home. Lost of time, effort, and infrastructure required. Get some grow lamps set up on a computerized timer, irrigation system, climate control, and you can grow pot like tomatoes. In your apartment. It's a law enforcement nightmare. The ROI is way bigger than alcohol. Especially since it's illegal in most states, and the quality of the product can be 90% of what commercial growers grow. They use the same techniques.

And no. I've never grown pot. But as with anything else, follow the money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:32 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Cannabis is different. That's exactly the point. Growing maryjane is easyish. At least easier than distilling a good whiskey, from what I know. I'd rather spend $50-$100 on a good bottle of scotch from scotland than try to emulate it at home. Lost of time, effort, and infrastructure required. Get some grow lamps set up on a computerized timer, irrigation system, climate control, and you can grow pot like tomatoes. In your apartment. It's a law enforcement nightmare. The ROI is way bigger than alcohol. Especially since it's illegal in most states, and the quality of the product can be 90% of what commercial growers grow. They use the same techniques.

And no. I've never grown pot. But as with anything else, follow the money.

I know lots of home beer brewers. And my wife is Italian. Her father, uncles, cousins, etc all make home made wine. It isn't terribly difficult to make alcohol. Sure, high quality whiskey isn't something you are going to make at home. But how much of alcohol consumption is whisky? I don't believe illegality of pot has anything to do with money. It has everything to do with fear and propaganda cooked up by Christian groups... the same groups of people that pushed and got alcohol prohibition. The problem was alcohol was too deeply rooted in culture of early America and European immigrants. It couldn't stick. People demanded to be able to imbibe in alcohol. But Marijuana use was much less widespread. Many fewer people were experienced with it, or cared strongly about it. The propaganda machine against pot worked and there wasn't nearly the numbers of people that had marijuana woven into their culture to revolt against the propaganda like there was with booze.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:41 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
I know lots of home beer brewers. And my wife is Italian. Her father, uncles, cousins, etc all make home made wine. It isn't terribly difficult to make alcohol. Sure, high quality whiskey isn't something you are going to make at home. But how much of alcohol consumption is whisky?

Beer and wine are easy to make (minus cleaning the bottles, which sucks). It's just not cost effective for the average joe. People that make it tend to do it as a hobby.

(Good) Liquor is a pain in the ass, and somewhat dangerous.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:11 pm 

Pabst wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
I know lots of home beer brewers. And my wife is Italian. Her father, uncles, cousins, etc all make home made wine. It isn't terribly difficult to make alcohol. Sure, high quality whiskey isn't something you are going to make at home. But how much of alcohol consumption is whisky?

Beer and wine are easy to make (minus cleaning the bottles, which sucks). It's just not cost effective for the average joe. People that make it tend to do it as a hobby.

(Good) Liquor is a pain in the ass, and somewhat dangerous.

It is not really cost effective for an average joe to grow weed either. The economies of doing either at home are not apples an to oranges comparison. The closest comparison is what occurred during prohibition. And it looked a lot like the pot market today. But my point is that money is not really the driver behind the criminalization of pot. Though it ultimately will be the driver behind the decriminalization.