It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The end of PBR?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:45 am 

MillerCoors has a deal with Pabst to brew Pabst Blue Ribbon. That deal expires in 2020 and there are options to renew it. But now MillerCoors is saying that it doesn’t have the capacity and needn’t renew. And now Pabst is arguing that MillerCoors is trying to torpedo it. There’s a $400 million trial going on about this, and if it doesn’t go a certain way we could see the end of PBR.

Post subject: Re: The end of PBR?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:52 am 

What will hipsters do?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:22 pm 

stillthere wrote:
What will hipsters do?

LMAO. I'm not much a drinker but this made me lol.

Do hipsters really drink PBR? I'm really wondering.

I can remember as a kid my dad, some uncles and a neighborhood dad of one of our friends drinking PBR and not a single one of those guys was, is, nor would ever be considered a hipster.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:02 pm 

Wait. MillerCoors is beer? When did that happen?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:19 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
stillthere wrote:
What will hipsters do?

I can remember as a kid my dad, some uncles and a neighborhood dad of one of our friends drinking PBR and not a single one of those guys was, is, nor would ever be considered a hipster.

Yes. Yes they do.

I predict a rise in Miller High Life sales from Hipster influx. Buy stock now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:46 pm 

I have to admit it's been at least a decade since I've had a miller or coors. Kind of a scab beer these days. Can't remember the last Pabst I had. I do remember enjoying it though. I also admit I'm kind of a beer snob and prefer IPA's, Stouts and absolutely love Porters. With all the small brewing company's popping up like weeds making great beers I'm surprised the big brewers haven't down sized or just gone out of business. Currently, I'm enjoying one from Seattle called, Elysian Space Dust. It's an IPA. Refreshingly good. https://www.elysianbrewing.com/beer/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:28 am 

It all went downhill for beer when Strohs fell out of favor. Just kidding.

I remember in the very early 80's bringing Coors in quantity back East and people losing their minds wanting it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:25 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I have to admit it's been at least a decade since I've had a miller or coors. Kind of a scab beer these days. Can't remember the last Pabst I had. I do remember enjoying it though. I also admit I'm kind of a beer snob and prefer IPA's, Stouts and absolutely love Porters. With all the small brewing company's popping up like weeds making great beers I'm surprised the big brewers haven't down sized or just gone out of business. Currently, I'm enjoying one from Seattle called, Elysian Space Dust. It's an IPA. Refreshingly good. https://www.elysianbrewing.com/beer/

i like Space Dust.

If you have it in your area, look for Rhinegeist Truth. Another very good IPA

https://rhinegeist.com/beer/explore/?av ... year-round

I will add that I track different beers with the phone app Untapped. I am a big IPA fan and here are my top 5 IPAs I've tried

Hop Hunter - Sierra Nevada Brewing
None the Wiser IPA - Blind Owl Brewing
Voodoo Ranger IPA - New Belgium Brewing
West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing
The Geoffery - Big Lug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:33 am 

jebrick wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

i like Space Dust.

No such thing as a good IPA. J/K.... I'm just not a fan. I much prefer Porters and Stouts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:02 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

i like Space Dust.

No such thing as a good IPA. J/K.... I'm just not a fan. I much prefer Porters and Stouts.

IPAs have a nasty habit of ruining otherwise perfectly good sampler packs.

"Oh, this brewery I like has a sampler! Goddamit, they put an IPA in it. Fuck that."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:33 pm 

Oh man, say it ain't so. Back in the day Pabst was the beer we drank through the week. Then on weekends it was michelob or High again(heineken).
Can't hardly understand why it's preferred by any crowd. Now IC aluminum bottles, well...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:11 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

I remember in the very early 80's bringing Coors in quantity back East and people losing their minds wanting it.

Used to call Strohs "Shorts or Shorts light" in HS and could not believe people didn't know we were talking about beer in class.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:18 pm 

stillthere wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Used to call Strohs "Shorts or Shorts light" in HS and could not believe people didn't know we were talking about beer in class.

Never heard it called that.
A long time ago I tended bar where we sold so much of the stuff we had it on 2 taps.
-----
BTW, I love me some IPA.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:30 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
stillthere wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Never heard it called that.
A long time ago I tended bar where we sold so much of the stuff we had it on 2 taps.
-----
BTW, I love me some IPA.

We called it Shorts because that was strohs spelled backwards. Ah the simple life before the internet and when kids played outside.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:42 am 

Still Lit wrote:
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
stillthere wrote:
What will hipsters do?

Yes. Yes they do.

I predict a rise in Miller High Life sales from Hipster influx. Buy stock now.

Call me crazy but for what it is (cheap macro brew), I enjoy High Life.

For you IPA haters, I was once one of you. Just keep trying them and you'll come around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:07 am 

I was drinking Bass when it was the only IPA so this is a good time for me.

I remember working in Montana in the early 80's and they were excited about Strohs as people east of the Mississippi were about Coors ( at the time).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:22 am 

jebrick wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

i like Space Dust.

I will add that I track different beers with the phone app Untapped. I am a big IPA fan and here are my top 5 IPAs I've tried

Hop Hunter - Sierra Nevada Brewing
None the Wiser IPA - Blind Owl Brewing
Voodoo Ranger IPA - New Belgium Brewing
West Coast IPA - Green Flash Brewing
The Geoffery - Big Lug

11.2%, 10.2% (Rhinegeist) Stouts sounds like a good time. ;) Unless they distribute to the West Coast I likely won't get the chance to sample any. I'll take your word for it though, brick. Have had the Hop Hunter. Really good. Look up Knee Deep Brewery http://kneedeepbrewing.com/ when you can. Their a local here with some great IPA's. Another really good Porter I tried several months ago that blew the mind was this Icelandic Porter, Einstok. Delicious. Check it out, highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:21 pm 

Y-Town Steel wrote:

For you IPA haters, I was once one of you. Just keep trying them and you'll come around.

If you have to train yourself to like something...it's probably not good.

I'm pretty sure you could train someone to like dog shit if you force-fed it to them long enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:14 am 

stillthere wrote:
What will hipsters do?

lol, my very first thought when reading the OP.

I remember being out in DC about 8 years ago and to my shock, hipsters were paying 5 bucks for cans of PBR. :lol:

Good marketing i guess.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:58 am 

There is only one good bier.. Winkler Brau Kupfer Spezial..
anyone that was every near Hohenfels Germany will know exactly what I am talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:57 am 

Tundralag wrote:
There is only one good bier.. Winkler Brau Kupfer Spezial..
anyone that was every near Hohenfels Germany will know exactly what I am talking about.

I have found memories of the Black Cat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:26 pm 

Do they import beer? Love to try some. https://brauerei.winkler-braeu.de/en/startseite.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:07 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Do they import beer? Love to try some. https://brauerei.winkler-braeu.de/en/startseite.html

No sorry. It’s a very local beer. If you drive 20 or so miles of the brewery you won’t find it. I had to drive from grafenwoehr Germany. 40 kilometers south to get it. Made a special trip from Vicenza Italy right before I moved to Texas and bought 20 racks of winkler. My wife brought back 300 bottles of Italian wine. Took up most of my household goods.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:06 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:

What kind of German makes non-alcoholic beer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:00 pm 

R S wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

What kind of German makes non-alcoholic beer.
One that sees a market niche. What? You don't like capitalism?
:lol: