It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL Moment of Silence for Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:08 pm 

Saints and Vikings had a moment of silence for Pittsburgh on NBC.

Then 9:00PM hits and they are allowed to show the new graphic video game commercials.

Fade to dystopian, realistic looking society, with The Beach Boys song “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” in the background, while a group of twenty somethings look over a sunset with a mushroom cloud in the foreground.

Where does the devolution of society come from I wonder? This country...

Fallout76

“Stay off my lawn”

Post subject: Re: NFL Moment of Silence for Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:19 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Where does the devolution of society come from I wonder?

Oh I have an idea or two...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:26 pm 

What would've made you happy?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:40 pm 

Since you are asking, and I bitch at my son about it all the time, way too many shooter games, and way too many hero movies.

Can they not make more realistic space exploration games? A madden-esque game based on Lewis and Clark. A zillion ideas for games that don’t have to be shooter franchises. I would even buy a game console if they had some better games or more developed genres.

Just had to shake my head at the moment of silence and then video game commercial. I don’t really think gaming causes the issues, but perhaps the poor juxtaposition of the two messages is more of a commentary on society.

Reminded me of Mars Attacks, they blared over loud speakers “ do not fear us”, while their lasers zapped citizens left and right.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:01 pm 

Yah I personally never understood the allure of these types of first person games.

Human life in general is devalued these days.

Goes well beyond video games.

Your first post..."graphic video game"....shooting games didn't come to my mind for some reason...(it shouldve) ...that's why I was thinking what's this guy upset about.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:27 pm 

I agree. My brother is adamantly against having guns in his household. He has two young boys 8 and 5. He jjust bought the oldest the new Call of Duty video game. My Dad and I both let him know he's a dumbass.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:04 pm 

I don’t generally play first person shooters, but I will say the Falllout series is pretty awesome.

And I really don’t put Fallout in the same grouping as those other shooter games.

It has violence...but I dunno, it feels different. It doesn’t feel gratuitous like a call of duty game does.

You’re a survivor in a desolate world with limited resources. You’ll certainly need to kill, but there’s generally a reason for it and there’s generally a problem solving aspect to it.

As for space exploration games, No Man’s Sky would probably fit your needs. It caught a lot of flack when it first same out, but I’ve heard it’s gotten much better since then. It’s literallu all about discovering new planets and learning about its ecosystems.

Another fun one I’ve been playing is Subnautica. You crash land on an alien planet that is almost entirely covered with ocean and have to survive by exploring the deep sea and gathering resources and building bases and underwater vehicles. It’s only in beta on consoles and has some performance issues, but is still really awesome. One of the best “survival” games I’ve ever played, and has virtually no violence.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:32 am 

If you raise your kids up right the video games don't matter.. The movies don't matter. I think this is more of a society crumbling issue.. I mostly blame social media for the breakdown of our society. In todays world the young idiots we are shitting out have no respect no civility, they are gullible as all get out, parents trying to be there friend instead of the authoritarian figure... kids are idiots today... well I read it on face book it must be true..
Its the YOU OWE me generation with Zero responsibility.

that is what's wrong with America. Maybe I am just an old fuck.. but damn I was brought up right.. my kids were brought up right,

My heart goes out to everyone in Pittsburgh.. what a tragedy..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:17 pm 

Tundralag wrote:
If you raise your kids up right the video games don't matter.. The movies don't matter. I think this is more of a society crumbling issue.. I mostly blame social media for the breakdown of our society. In todays world the young idiots we are shitting out have no respect no civility, they are gullible as all get out, parents trying to be there friend instead of the authoritarian figure... kids are idiots today... well I read it on face book it must be true..

that is what's wrong with America. Maybe I am just an old fuck.. but damn I was brought up right.. my kids were brought up right,

Ding fucking ding on the bolded.

As far as most of the rest of it, yeah, you do sound like an old fuck ;) You realize it though. Every generation ever says this shit about the younger generations. These fuckheads doing most of these shootings aren't millennials.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:09 pm 

Tundralag wrote:

Weird. You're older than me, but I think video games are stupid. Turns kids and adults into zombies. Read a book instead and kill your TV while you're at it. Social media is just the new opiate for the masses. All the old fucks are opiated by television. No much more noble.

Am I being sarcastic? Maybe!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:34 pm 

I think you have to add in all the overmedicated children and adults that are fucking with peoples minds. And i'm not talking about opioids.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:22 pm 

R S wrote:
I think you have to add in all the overmedicated children and adults that are fucking with peoples minds. And i'm not talking about opioids.

that's funny.. you know when I was growing up.. Not one fucking kid had a Nut allergy.. Today every other kid has some shit...
Docs handing out ADHD meds to every kid like a fucking Pez dispenser..

We had no issues like that back in the 60's-70's Our biggest worry was getting our asses tanned for not getting home before the street lights came on..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:10 pm 

Tundralag wrote:
R S wrote:

that's funny.. you know when I was growing up.. Not one fucking kid had a Nut allergy.. Today every other kid has some shit...
Docs handing out ADHD meds to every kid like a fucking Pez dispenser..

We had no issues like that back in the 60's-70's Our biggest worry was getting our asses tanned for not getting home before the street lights came on..

Yeah and until the late 19th century, there were not such things as germs either and thus no such thing as disease caused by germs or viruses.

Tough talk walks a fine line from just being moronic talk.

That said, I do wonder about the prevalence and ease with which such stuff gets diagnosed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:34 pm 

So sorry that the city had to go through a lot. And that thoughts and prayers are with the families of loved ones lost. And it is no wonder I do not play video games. I am an 80's kid. My nephews or some of them played but one is married now and the other two are in the Air Force. These are not like Pac-Man or Donkey Kong.