It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone catch A Slayer show in this last tour?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:17 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Being from the bay area California I've seen Testament when they were little known playing small gigs in Oakland. Used to get close enough to throw joints on stage and watch Chuck Billy reach down pick them up and as he put them in a shirt pocket give a head nod to us. Seen Anthrax play several times since the late 80's. Love their shows. Slayer, Testament, Lamb of God, Anthrax and Behemoth back in May 13th this year at the Cal Expo in Sacramento. My 25 year old son and I went to this show together. First show together. Testament opened, followed by Anthrax then Behemoth then Lamb of God and for their finale Slayer! :twisted:
Seen Slayer a few times before this. Big huge pits at this show. Got punched in the face actually. Good Times! Anyway, Slayer is still really good live. The only complaint I have is with that many bands playing the individual bands didn't play very long. Slayer played IIRC 6 maybe 7 songs. Testament only played like 5. Too short of sets for my liking. Slayer was bad ass of course but the band that really impressed me was Lamb of God. I didn't really get into them as I'm more old school metal perhaps even a metal snob if you will. So I really only listen to certain aged metal, lol. Lamb of God was the most harmonic and energy thriving band of the night IMO. Anthrax had the best pit. Behemoth was just Too Damn satanic for my liking. Of course the mushrooms I ate prolly didn't help me [understand their lyrics] either so I felt like I was most comfortable with the music I grew up listening to from my teenage years. I will definitely go see Lamb of God again. Killer live band.

Excellent. Maybe people bitched about Slayers short set. They played for like and hour and a half. They crammed in many songs. I mean most of the bands talked to the crowd between songs a bit, Slayer would finish a song and the riff for the next one would immediately follow. Don’t know Behemoth at all and you can have Lamb of God. Sounds like you and the boy had a good time. Congratulations.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:07 pm 

Best Slayer show I saw was in 97 at the Warfield in San Francisco. I believe that was the Diabolus in Musica tour. They played solo... 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:13 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Best Slayer show I saw was in 97 at the Warfield in San Francisco. I believe that was the Diabolus in Musica tour. They played solo... 8-)

That had to be great!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Slayer / Anthrax

\m/

I saw "Scab Slayer" in New Hampshire a few weeks back. Paul Bostaph is a great drummer, and Gary Holt is a technically better guitarist than Kerry King and Jeff Hannemann (RIP) combined. I also think having Bay area veterans like those guys lend a lot more more authenticity than some random young kids. The stage show was also a lot more elaborate.
That said, this show just didn't compare to when I saw them in Baltimore with the classic lineup (Jagermeister Music Tour in 2010). Tom Araya seemed and sounded ready to pack it in, and the setlist had too much of the newer less interesting Slayer jams for my taste.

I still enjoyed myself, though I was largely buzzing from Napalm Death, Testament and Anthrax also being on the bill. Testament always rules, and Anthrax for sure had the biggest pit during "Indians." I was very pleased to hear "Be All End All" as State of Euphoria got a shit ton of plays on my walkman back in the day. Both of those bands did not play long enough. And Napalm Death is great, but i'd rather see them in a midsize club or something where I can get closer to the energy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm 

DrMalba wrote:
Slayer / Anthrax

\m/

I saw "Scab Slayer" in New Hampshire a few weeks back. Paul Bostaph is a great drummer, and Gary Holt is a technically better guitarist than Kerry King and Jeff Hannemann (RIP) combined. I also think having Bay area veterans like those guys lend a lot more more authenticity than some random young kids. The stage show was also a lot more elaborate.
That said, this show just didn't compare to when I saw them in Baltimore with the classic lineup (Jagermeister Music Tour in 2010). Tom Araya seemed and sounded ready to pack it in, and the setlist had too much of the newer less interesting Slayer jams for my taste.

I still enjoyed myself, though I was largely buzzing from Napalm Death, Testament and Anthrax also being on the bill. Testament always rules, and Anthrax for sure had the biggest pit during "Indians." I was very pleased to hear "Be All End All" as State of Euphoria got a shit ton of plays on my walkman back in the day. Both of those bands did not play long enough. And Napalm Death is great, but i'd rather see them in a midsize club or something where I can get closer to the energy.

That’s cool.

I understand getting closer to Napalm Death. Great point. No mosh pit at all at this show. Some movement during Slayer but, really unimpressive. I was hoping ND would of played the song Bored.
Love that song and those riffs, and prob watched Texas Cbainsaw Massacre 3 a million times. That’s where I heard it first and had to search to find out what I had heard. Great stuff.

Last edited by SteelThrillsseeker on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:11 pm 

Not Slayer so a bit off topic but a couple weeks ago I went to see Kid Rock.

After about three songs he asked the crowd who had seen him live before. To those he said then they know what to expect.

To all the others, he said he would “ease them in”.

Had a private chuckle to myself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:03 pm 

955876 wrote:
Not Slayer so a bit off topic but a couple weeks ago I went to see Kid Rock.

After about three songs he asked the crowd who had seen him live before. To those he said then they know what to expect.

To all the others, he said he would “ease them in”.

Had a private chuckle to myself.

LoL, I’m sure you did get a chuckle out of that saying.

How was Kid Rock overall?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 pm 

Pretty much what you’d expect out of Kid Rock in terms of the performance I suppose. I enjoyed it. Had never seen him before.

The amount of eye candy in attendance was a bonus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:34 pm 

955876 wrote:
Pretty much what you’d expect out of Kid Rock in terms of the performance I suppose. I enjoyed it. Had never seen him before.

The amount of eye candy in attendance was a bonus.

That’s cool. I’d catch one of his shows. Always thought he would be ok to see. Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:47 am 

My daughter thought Lamb of God was awesome. Slayer was great, Anthrax wasn't bad, Testament good, and I guess she missed Napalm Death altogether. Still can't believe that's what she wanted for her birthday.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 am 

CdnSteelerFan wrote:
My daughter thought Lamb of God was awesome. Slayer was great, Anthrax wasn't bad, Testament good, and I guess she missed Napalm Death altogether. Still can't believe that's what she wanted for her birthday.

You're doing it right!

\m/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:29 pm 

CdnSteelerFan wrote:

You're doing it right!

\m/

You like what you hear growing up I guess, although my parents were country fans. :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:48 am 

My parents listened to country as well. Hated the shit growing up.

However, the “shit” they listened to, the type of country, was Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr., & Cash primarily.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve realized it was not only NOT shit but also some of the best music ever made.

And not just within the country genre IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:24 pm 

I liked those cameo's Family Guy does with Conway Twitty....

Love, Love Love Shania Twain. :D

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm 

955876 wrote:
My parents listened to country as well. Hated the shit growing up.

However, the “shit” they listened to, the type of country, was Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr., & Cash primarily.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve realized it was not only NOT shit but also some of the best music ever made.

And not just within the country genre IMO.

Let's be very clear. All country music is fucking terrible. All of it. Except Outlaw Country, for which we should all be eternally in debt. The roots of outlaw go straight back to Hank Williams.

Waylon Jennings is a goddamn national treasure.

And thank goodness for Sturgill Simpson keeping the flame alive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:55 pm 

My wife, who has known me since I was like 16 (now 47), knows my disdain of country music.

She now catches me in the garage working out or hitting golf balls while cranking some Waylon and has a hard time wrapping her mind around it.

Ummm what has happened to you she ask?

While I love me some Hank Jr., Waylon is just tops. Can’t beat that voice.

Additionally, those particular artist had a realness to them that just doesn’t exist today. Their music and words was lived.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:33 pm 

I got a good dose of ABBA growing up too. I don't hate the music, just not something I'd put on the 8-track in my '73 Comet. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:31 pm 

Dancing Queen is a catchy ass tune... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 am 

Do you guys consider Glenn Campbell to be traditional country? I always liked his music a great deal but he might have been that bridge between old-school country and the slop that is today's crap.
And what is called country music today is pure bullshit. Pop music with a twang sung by pretty people. Luke Bryan can choke on a thermos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:24 pm 

Glen Campbell not for me. Just not my thing.

If I had to listen to new country today I’d go with Chris Stapleton. He at least has some edge to him.

At least the limited stuff of his I’ve heard.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:11 pm 

Cool-I'll check him out.

A decade ago I got into Ryan Bingham thanks to hardnosed. Wore out his album 'Mescalito' back in 2007/08.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:47 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Cool-I'll check him out.

A decade ago I got into Ryan Bingham thanks to hardnosed. Wore out his album 'Mescalito' back in 2007/08.

I was in a shitty metal band in HS. A bit older than Ryan, but he went to our high school and would occasionally hang out in our garage while we jammed. Clearly he had more talent than us. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:57 pm 

You’ve got to post some pics of yourself from those metal band days Lit...

A bit different but when I was in 8th grade Tesla played at my school dance. They were a local club band that at the time went by the name City Kidd. Our principle was buddies with thier original manager.

Shortly after they were signed, changed the name, and released Mechanical Resonance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:43 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Cool-I'll check him out.

I was in a shitty metal band in HS. A bit older than Ryan, but he went to our high school and would occasionally hang out in our garage while we jammed. Clearly he had more talent than us. :lol:

Did he have that 3 packs of smokes a day voice back then?

Funny how this thread went from Slayer to country music. Today I was driving for a few hours through one thunderstorm after another. Sheets of rain, 18 wheelers barreling by. I said fuck it and played 'Seasons in the Abyss' at 10.
Surreal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:11 pm 

Ok. Yeah. Country music sucks, imo. With the exception of some people mentioned.

But willie nelson straddles the line. And how the fuck can anyone not like Patsy Cline?

And fwiw, I never liked headbanger music. Gives me a fucking headache unless there is some kind of musicianship or interesting compositions. But I know "composition" is subject to interpretation.

And I also wonder about lit and his heavy metal band. You know there are tapes, that have been digitized. Send them along to B2B and he can showcase them on an intro to a podcast. :lol: :lol: :lol: