It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anyone catch A Slayer show in this last tour?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:17 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Being from the bay area California I've seen Testament when they were little known playing small gigs in Oakland. Used to get close enough to throw joints on stage and watch Chuck Billy reach down pick them up and as he put them in a shirt pocket give a head nod to us. Seen Anthrax play several times since the late 80's. Love their shows. Slayer, Testament, Lamb of God, Anthrax and Behemoth back in May 13th this year at the Cal Expo in Sacramento. My 25 year old son and I went to this show together. First show together. Testament opened, followed by Anthrax then Behemoth then Lamb of God and for their finale Slayer! :twisted:
Seen Slayer a few times before this. Big huge pits at this show. Got punched in the face actually. Good Times! Anyway, Slayer is still really good live. The only complaint I have is with that many bands playing the individual bands didn't play very long. Slayer played IIRC 6 maybe 7 songs. Testament only played like 5. Too short of sets for my liking. Slayer was bad ass of course but the band that really impressed me was Lamb of God. I didn't really get into them as I'm more old school metal perhaps even a metal snob if you will. So I really only listen to certain aged metal, lol. Lamb of God was the most harmonic and energy thriving band of the night IMO. Anthrax had the best pit. Behemoth was just Too Damn satanic for my liking. Of course the mushrooms I ate prolly didn't help me [understand their lyrics] either so I felt like I was most comfortable with the music I grew up listening to from my teenage years. I will definitely go see Lamb of God again. Killer live band.

Excellent. Maybe people bitched about Slayers short set. They played for like and hour and a half. They crammed in many songs. I mean most of the bands talked to the crowd between songs a bit, Slayer would finish a song and the riff for the next one would immediately follow. Don’t know Behemoth at all and you can have Lamb of God. Sounds like you and the boy had a good time. Congratulations.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:07 pm 

Best Slayer show I saw was in 97 at the Warfield in San Francisco. I believe that was the Diabolus in Musica tour. They played solo... 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:13 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Best Slayer show I saw was in 97 at the Warfield in San Francisco. I believe that was the Diabolus in Musica tour. They played solo... 8-)

That had to be great!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Slayer / Anthrax

\m/

I saw "Scab Slayer" in New Hampshire a few weeks back. Paul Bostaph is a great drummer, and Gary Holt is a technically better guitarist than Kerry King and Jeff Hannemann (RIP) combined. I also think having Bay area veterans like those guys lend a lot more more authenticity than some random young kids. The stage show was also a lot more elaborate.
That said, this show just didn't compare to when I saw them in Baltimore with the classic lineup (Jagermeister Music Tour in 2010). Tom Araya seemed and sounded ready to pack it in, and the setlist had too much of the newer less interesting Slayer jams for my taste.

I still enjoyed myself, though I was largely buzzing from Napalm Death, Testament and Anthrax also being on the bill. Testament always rules, and Anthrax for sure had the biggest pit during "Indians." I was very pleased to hear "Be All End All" as State of Euphoria got a shit ton of plays on my walkman back in the day. Both of those bands did not play long enough. And Napalm Death is great, but i'd rather see them in a midsize club or something where I can get closer to the energy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm 

DrMalba wrote:
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Slayer / Anthrax

\m/

I saw "Scab Slayer" in New Hampshire a few weeks back. Paul Bostaph is a great drummer, and Gary Holt is a technically better guitarist than Kerry King and Jeff Hannemann (RIP) combined. I also think having Bay area veterans like those guys lend a lot more more authenticity than some random young kids. The stage show was also a lot more elaborate.
That said, this show just didn't compare to when I saw them in Baltimore with the classic lineup (Jagermeister Music Tour in 2010). Tom Araya seemed and sounded ready to pack it in, and the setlist had too much of the newer less interesting Slayer jams for my taste.

I still enjoyed myself, though I was largely buzzing from Napalm Death, Testament and Anthrax also being on the bill. Testament always rules, and Anthrax for sure had the biggest pit during "Indians." I was very pleased to hear "Be All End All" as State of Euphoria got a shit ton of plays on my walkman back in the day. Both of those bands did not play long enough. And Napalm Death is great, but i'd rather see them in a midsize club or something where I can get closer to the energy.

That’s cool.

I understand getting closer to Napalm Death. Great point. No mosh pit at all at this show. Some movement during Slayer but, really unimpressive. I was hoping ND would of played the song Bored.
Love that song and those riffs, and prob watched Texas Cbainsaw Massacre 3 a million times. That’s where I heard it first and had to search to find out what I had heard. Great stuff.

Last edited by SteelThrillsseeker on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:11 pm 

Not Slayer so a bit off topic but a couple weeks ago I went to see Kid Rock.

After about three songs he asked the crowd who had seen him live before. To those he said then they know what to expect.

To all the others, he said he would “ease them in”.

Had a private chuckle to myself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:03 pm 

955876 wrote:
Not Slayer so a bit off topic but a couple weeks ago I went to see Kid Rock.

After about three songs he asked the crowd who had seen him live before. To those he said then they know what to expect.

To all the others, he said he would “ease them in”.

Had a private chuckle to myself.

LoL, I’m sure you did get a chuckle out of that saying.

How was Kid Rock overall?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 pm 

Pretty much what you’d expect out of Kid Rock in terms of the performance I suppose. I enjoyed it. Had never seen him before.

The amount of eye candy in attendance was a bonus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:34 pm 

955876 wrote:
Pretty much what you’d expect out of Kid Rock in terms of the performance I suppose. I enjoyed it. Had never seen him before.

The amount of eye candy in attendance was a bonus.

That’s cool. I’d catch one of his shows. Always thought he would be ok to see. Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:47 am 

My daughter thought Lamb of God was awesome. Slayer was great, Anthrax wasn't bad, Testament good, and I guess she missed Napalm Death altogether. Still can't believe that's what she wanted for her birthday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next