It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone catch A Slayer show in this last tour?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:19 am 

I’m headed to Syracuse today to see em. Can’t wait but honestly I’m really looking forward to Anthrax the most. Jammed to them so hard growing up and have never seen them live. I’m a fan of Slayer, I just never dove into them much. I think it’s a travesty Lamb of God goes on after Anthrax. Fuck that noise! They suck compared to Anthrax! Getting old sucks, but as my dad would say: it beats the alternative!

Enjoy your day everyone.

Slayer / Anthrax

\m/

Post subject: Re: Anyone catch A Slayer show in this last tour?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:25 pm 

Have fun, man! Some friends of mine saw them and loved the show!

I readily admit to being a lightweight when it comes to “metal”, but I’m still reeling from the Avenged Sevenfold tour getting cancelled. Had good seats for the Pittsburgh show. I don’t go to that many concerts, so when I do, it’s usually a “bucket list” type of thing that I absolutely have to see. G n’ R was my last one and A7X was my next one...until it wasn’t.

Oh well, at least I still have Metallica coming up later this year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:04 pm 

So, how was the show?

It's been 10 years since I last saw Slayer(Death metal fest in Philly).
Seen them 7 or 8 times and one really show stood out-1996(?) Ozzfest. No band wanted to be the band that played before Slayer and The Deftones ended up being that band and they were great. Primus preceded The Deftones which was cool. Les Claypool put on quite the show.

Never saw Avenged Benfold but I like the guitar players a great deal. Only made it to one G-n-R show (1991) and they started off on fire but were so drunk by the end that it turned into a slop fest.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:15 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

Never saw Avenged Benfold but I like the guitar players a great deal. Only made it to one G-n-R show (1991) and they started off on fire but were so drunk by the end that it turned into a slop fest.

I was a little too young to see G n' R in their hey-dey, which was a huge disappointment to me when they broke up as the Use Your Illusions album(s) was my favorite thing to listen to as a kid. I wasn't a big fan of 80s rock at that age, so I didn't grow to appreciate the greatness of Appetite for Destruction until a few years ago.

Anyways, when I saw G n' R were reuniting for a new tour, I had pretty low expectations as Axl had sounded absolutely horrible in the videos I'd have seen of him from a few years prior on the Chinese Democracy Tour. But I was such a big fan and was so disappointed from not seeing them in the 90s, that I was hell bent on seeing them anyways.

I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised. Axl obviously wasn't as good as he was in the 80s and early 90s, but he was passable...and much better than I expected. And the rest of the band was so freaking amazing that "passable" was all Axl really needed to be to put on an incredible show. Slash just absolutely killed every solo he had, which is just about every song.

I'd absolutely jump at a chance to see them again.

I've watched a bunch of videos online of Avenged playing live. They put on a really good show from what I can tell. Although I think their lead singer has lost some of his trademark singing power in recent years, which is why their albums have gotten progressively more mellow. Then they found blood blisters on his vocal chords two weeks ago, resulting in the tour's cancellation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:05 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Have fun, man! Some friends of mine saw them and loved the show!

I readily admit to being a lightweight when it comes to “metal”, but I’m still reeling from the Avenged Sevenfold tour getting cancelled. Had good seats for the Pittsburgh show. I don’t go to that many concerts, so when I do, it’s usually a “bucket list” type of thing that I absolutely have to see. G n’ R was my last one and A7X was my next one...until it wasn’t.

Oh well, at least I still have Metallica coming up later this year.

That sucks to hear about the cancelation. Enjoy the hell out of Metallica!

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

I was a little too young to see G n' R in their hey-dey, which was a huge disappointment to me when they broke up as the Use Your Illusions album(s) was my favorite thing to listen to as a kid. I wasn't a big fan of 80s rock at that age, so I didn't grow to appreciate the greatness of Appetite for Destruction until a few years ago.

Anyways, when I saw G n' R were reuniting for a new tour, I had pretty low expectations as Axl had sounded absolutely horrible in the videos I'd have seen of him from a few years prior on the Chinese Democracy Tour. But I was such a big fan and was so disappointed from not seeing them in the 90s, that I was hell bent on seeing them anyways.

I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised. Axl obviously wasn't as good as he was in the 80s and early 90s, but he was passable...and much better than I expected. And the rest of the band was so freaking amazing that "passable" was all Axl really needed to be to put on an incredible show. Slash just absolutely killed every solo he had, which is just about every song.

I'd absolutely jump at a chance to see them again.

I've watched a bunch of videos online of Avenged playing live. They put on a really good show from what I can tell. Although I think their lead singer has lost some of his trademark singing power in recent years, which is why their albums have gotten progressively more mellow. Then they found blood blisters on his vocal chords two weeks ago, resulting in the tour's cancellation.

Appetite of Destruction was their only album I ever liked. Loved actually. Man that was great when it came out!

fractalsteel wrote:
So, how was the show?

It's been 10 years since I last saw Slayer(Death metal fest in Philly).
Seen them 7 or 8 times and one really show stood out-1996(?) Ozzfest. No band wanted to be the band that played before Slayer and The Deftones ended up being that band and they were great. Primus preceded The Deftones which was cool. Les Claypool put on quite the show.

Oh man the show was great!

I enjoyed Napalm Death, then Testament was pretty damn good. Anthrax was the next one up and who I was really interested in seeing. Been a fan for 31 years and this was my chance to see them live. Love me some Anthrax!

Lamb of God came on and although I'm not a big fan of theirs, the crowd seemed to love them. Too me it was ridiculous they went on after Anthrax but whatever.

Slayer: they killed it. I mean killed it. I like Slayer. I never really got into them over the years but enjoy their music. Their set was seriously amazing. Great tribute to Hanneman during the show and really non stop, amazing set.

The only downside to the show for me personally was a lot of walking, and some drunk guy saw me struggling walking and pushed me in the ribs to see if I'd fall over. I was dumbfounded, like did that mother fucker just push me and laugh to see if I'd fall over? Anyhow, I got VIP box seating because of the golf cart ride to the Amphitheatre from the parking lot because I just had double knee replacements and didn't want to walk that much. Was afraid to fight the crowd in and out that I might fall down if people were pushing into me since I'm not walking great/sturdy yet. Was a lot of walking anyway! 4-5 jack and cokes certainly did help with the pain etc. The other great thing was, I bought a souvenir bandana to hang in my garage and 10 minutes later going into the VIP club I run into Joey Belladonna. I was like holy shit that's Joey Belladonna. This lady (somehow linked to Anthrax/Joey) says well get his autograph. I replied I don't want to bother him, I just thought it was cool to say hello. She says well I'll bother him and pulls out a silver sharpie and says, "hey Joey, give this fan an autograph." He turns around and starts talking to me, I pull out my Anthrax bandana and he signs it, thanks me for coming to the show etc. He was a cool guy.

Tom from Slayer said after the last song, " I'm really going to miss you mother fuckers", and walked to the edge of the stage in multiple spots and just stared at the crowd chanting Slayer, Slayer. He stood there and seriously looked stoked and just sad taking it all in knowing they're hanging it up.

Great fucking show!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:10 pm 

Thrill-glad you enjoyed the show, sucks about that dude pushing you down. I've been to thousands of concerts(worked some security for a few years) and I have seen just about everything from people using needles, couples having sex out in public to people taking shits in the stands.
One of the craziest shows was Alice in Chains 1994 when the grass on the field was dry due to drought. Dumbasses started about thirty fires and the place just went insane.

Cool that you got that autograph-treasure it!

Didn't know that Slayer was hanging it up-good thing you saw them.
----------

Lipps- awesome that Axl can still bring it to a degree. It is a shame that the band never had a bigger catalog.

The original drummer to Avenged Ben Fold died in 2009. Always thought he was great.

Enjoy Metallica.
To this day, I still am pissed at myself for not seeing them with Cliff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:48 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Thrill-glad you enjoyed the show, sucks about that dude pushing you down. I've been to thousands of concerts(worked some security for a few years) and I have seen just about everything from people using needles, couples having sex out in public to people taking shits in the stands.
One of the craziest shows was Alice in Chains 1994 when the grass on the field was dry due to drought. Dumbasses started about thirty fires and the place just went insane.

Cool that you got that autograph-treasure it!

Didn't know that Slayer was hanging it up-good thing you saw them.
----------

Lipps- awesome that Axl can still bring it to a degree. It is a shame that the band never had a bigger catalog.

The original drummer to Avenged Ben Fold died in 2009. Always thought he was great.

Enjoy Metallica.
To this day, I still am pissed at myself for not seeing them with Cliff.

Thanks man. I didn’t fall down or I’m sure the night would of ended miserably as my cousin I went with has beat the hell out of a couple men at time on more than one occasion. People always seem to talk shit to him because of his never ending grin on his face but what they don’t realize is he really doesn’t care about getting arrested so he’ll throw down no matter who, how many etc.

I’ve seen Metallica only twice but sadly you are not alone missing a show with Cliff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:44 pm 

They still have mosh pits at these type of shows?

Saw Slayer in 89...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:15 pm 

955876 wrote:
They still have mosh pits at these type of shows?

Saw Slayer in 89...

Hardly.

We talked about the lack of anyone in the pit doing anything but watching the show.

Moshing seems to be a thing of the past. There was minimal if you could even call it that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 pm 

Being from the bay area California I've seen Testament when they were little known playing small gigs in Oakland. Used to get close enough to throw joints on stage and watch Chuck Billy reach down pick them up and as he put them in a shirt pocket give a head nod to us. Seen Anthrax play several times since the late 80's. Love their shows. Slayer, Testament, Lamb of God, Anthrax and Behemoth back in May 13th this year at the Cal Expo in Sacramento. My 25 year old son and I went to this show together. First show together. Testament opened, followed by Anthrax then Behemoth then Lamb of God and for their finale Slayer! :twisted:
Seen Slayer a few times before this. Big huge pits at this show. Got punched in the face actually. Good Times! Anyway, Slayer is still really good live. The only complaint I have is with that many bands playing the individual bands didn't play very long. Slayer played IIRC 6 maybe 7 songs. Testament only played like 5. Too short of sets for my liking. Slayer was bad ass of course but the band that really impressed me was Lamb of God. I didn't really get into them as I'm more old school metal perhaps even a metal snob if you will. So I really only listen to certain aged metal, lol. Lamb of God was the most harmonic and energy thriving band of the night IMO. Anthrax had the best pit. Behemoth was just Too Damn satanic for my liking. Of course the mushrooms I ate prolly didn't help me [understand their lyrics] either so I felt like I was most comfortable with the music I grew up listening to from my teenage years. I will definitely go see Lamb of God again. Killer live band.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:17 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Being from the bay area California I've seen Testament when they were little known playing small gigs in Oakland. Used to get close enough to throw joints on stage and watch Chuck Billy reach down pick them up and as he put them in a shirt pocket give a head nod to us. Seen Anthrax play several times since the late 80's. Love their shows. Slayer, Testament, Lamb of God, Anthrax and Behemoth back in May 13th this year at the Cal Expo in Sacramento. My 25 year old son and I went to this show together. First show together. Testament opened, followed by Anthrax then Behemoth then Lamb of God and for their finale Slayer! :twisted:
Seen Slayer a few times before this. Big huge pits at this show. Got punched in the face actually. Good Times! Anyway, Slayer is still really good live. The only complaint I have is with that many bands playing the individual bands didn't play very long. Slayer played IIRC 6 maybe 7 songs. Testament only played like 5. Too short of sets for my liking. Slayer was bad ass of course but the band that really impressed me was Lamb of God. I didn't really get into them as I'm more old school metal perhaps even a metal snob if you will. So I really only listen to certain aged metal, lol. Lamb of God was the most harmonic and energy thriving band of the night IMO. Anthrax had the best pit. Behemoth was just Too Damn satanic for my liking. Of course the mushrooms I ate prolly didn't help me [understand their lyrics] either so I felt like I was most comfortable with the music I grew up listening to from my teenage years. I will definitely go see Lamb of God again. Killer live band.

Excellent. Maybe people bitched about Slayers short set. They played for like and hour and a half. They crammed in many songs. I mean most of the bands talked to the crowd between songs a bit, Slayer would finish a song and the riff for the next one would immediately follow. Don’t know Behemoth at all and you can have Lamb of God. Sounds like you and the boy had a good time. Congratulations.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:07 pm 

Best Slayer show I saw was in 97 at the Warfield in San Francisco. I believe that was the Diabolus in Musica tour. They played solo... 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:13 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Best Slayer show I saw was in 97 at the Warfield in San Francisco. I believe that was the Diabolus in Musica tour. They played solo... 8-)

That had to be great!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Slayer / Anthrax

\m/

I saw "Scab Slayer" in New Hampshire a few weeks back. Paul Bostaph is a great drummer, and Gary Holt is a technically better guitarist than Kerry King and Jeff Hannemann (RIP) combined. I also think having Bay area veterans like those guys lend a lot more more authenticity than some random young kids. The stage show was also a lot more elaborate.
That said, this show just didn't compare to when I saw them in Baltimore with the classic lineup (Jagermeister Music Tour in 2010). Tom Araya seemed and sounded ready to pack it in, and the setlist had too much of the newer less interesting Slayer jams for my taste.

I still enjoyed myself, though I was largely buzzing from Napalm Death, Testament and Anthrax also being on the bill. Testament always rules, and Anthrax for sure had the biggest pit during "Indians." I was very pleased to hear "Be All End All" as State of Euphoria got a shit ton of plays on my walkman back in the day. Both of those bands did not play long enough. And Napalm Death is great, but i'd rather see them in a midsize club or something where I can get closer to the energy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm 

DrMalba wrote:
Slayer / Anthrax

\m/

I saw "Scab Slayer" in New Hampshire a few weeks back. Paul Bostaph is a great drummer, and Gary Holt is a technically better guitarist than Kerry King and Jeff Hannemann (RIP) combined. I also think having Bay area veterans like those guys lend a lot more more authenticity than some random young kids. The stage show was also a lot more elaborate.
That said, this show just didn't compare to when I saw them in Baltimore with the classic lineup (Jagermeister Music Tour in 2010). Tom Araya seemed and sounded ready to pack it in, and the setlist had too much of the newer less interesting Slayer jams for my taste.

I still enjoyed myself, though I was largely buzzing from Napalm Death, Testament and Anthrax also being on the bill. Testament always rules, and Anthrax for sure had the biggest pit during "Indians." I was very pleased to hear "Be All End All" as State of Euphoria got a shit ton of plays on my walkman back in the day. Both of those bands did not play long enough. And Napalm Death is great, but i'd rather see them in a midsize club or something where I can get closer to the energy.

That’s cool.

I understand getting closer to Napalm Death. Great point. No mosh pit at all at this show. Some movement during Slayer but, really unimpressive. I was hoping ND would of played the song Bored.
Love that song and those riffs, and prob watched Texas Cbainsaw Massacre 3 a million times. That’s where I heard it first and had to search to find out what I had heard. Great stuff.

Last edited by SteelThrillsseeker on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:11 pm 

Not Slayer so a bit off topic but a couple weeks ago I went to see Kid Rock.

After about three songs he asked the crowd who had seen him live before. To those he said then they know what to expect.

To all the others, he said he would “ease them in”.

Had a private chuckle to myself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:03 pm 

955876 wrote:
Not Slayer so a bit off topic but a couple weeks ago I went to see Kid Rock.

After about three songs he asked the crowd who had seen him live before. To those he said then they know what to expect.

To all the others, he said he would “ease them in”.

Had a private chuckle to myself.

LoL, I’m sure you did get a chuckle out of that saying.

How was Kid Rock overall?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:46 pm 

Pretty much what you’d expect out of Kid Rock in terms of the performance I suppose. I enjoyed it. Had never seen him before.

The amount of eye candy in attendance was a bonus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:34 pm 

955876 wrote:
Pretty much what you’d expect out of Kid Rock in terms of the performance I suppose. I enjoyed it. Had never seen him before.

The amount of eye candy in attendance was a bonus.

That’s cool. I’d catch one of his shows. Always thought he would be ok to see. Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:47 am 

My daughter thought Lamb of God was awesome. Slayer was great, Anthrax wasn't bad, Testament good, and I guess she missed Napalm Death altogether. Still can't believe that's what she wanted for her birthday.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 am 

CdnSteelerFan wrote:
My daughter thought Lamb of God was awesome. Slayer was great, Anthrax wasn't bad, Testament good, and I guess she missed Napalm Death altogether. Still can't believe that's what she wanted for her birthday.

You're doing it right!

\m/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:29 pm 

CdnSteelerFan wrote:

You're doing it right!

\m/

You like what you hear growing up I guess, although my parents were country fans. :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:48 am 

My parents listened to country as well. Hated the shit growing up.

However, the “shit” they listened to, the type of country, was Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr., & Cash primarily.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve realized it was not only NOT shit but also some of the best music ever made.

And not just within the country genre IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:24 pm 

I liked those cameo's Family Guy does with Conway Twitty....

Love, Love Love Shania Twain. :D

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm 

955876 wrote:
My parents listened to country as well. Hated the shit growing up.

However, the “shit” they listened to, the type of country, was Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr., & Cash primarily.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve realized it was not only NOT shit but also some of the best music ever made.

And not just within the country genre IMO.

Let's be very clear. All country music is fucking terrible. All of it. Except Outlaw Country, for which we should all be eternally in debt. The roots of outlaw go straight back to Hank Williams.

Waylon Jennings is a goddamn national treasure.

And thank goodness for Sturgill Simpson keeping the flame alive.