It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Protests/Possible Riots
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:29 pm 

I know politics and the like aren’t acceptable, and that’s not my intent, but just wanted to extend a warning to my fellow posters.

I have several friends who are in Pittsburgh PD, and word is that the protests that have been happening around the city for the past few days may take a turn for the worst early this week.

There’s word going around that members of some of the more extreme activist groups are being bussed into the city with the intention of turning the protests violent. One friend I spoke to said that the Baltimore riots from Two years ago are being used as an example of the potential.

If you work downtown and have the option to work from home, I’d highly recommend it. If not, and you do have to go downtown, keep alert.

Post subject: Re: Protests/Possible Riots
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:49 pm 

Damn. Nice heads up for those it could affect. What is this all about?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:10 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Damn. Nice heads up for those it could affect. What is this all about?

The Antwon Rose shooting a few days ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:25 pm 

I don't get this country anymore. You have 2 morons doing a drive by shooting, get pulled over, run and one gets shot and killed. Another moron in Milwaukee walking up a street shooting a 9mm off in the air and into the ground. Cops come, he runs, gets tased, starts running again and then gets shot and killed. Why protest that there are 2 less morons in this world. It's not like one of them was standing around pointing a toy revolver that looked real at people and then wondering why he was shot and killed too.
Maybe don't run, shut the fuck up and do what the asshole cop tells you. That to me is the best option, rather then getting shot and killed. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:51 pm 

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
I don't get this country anymore.

It defintely hurts the cause, or it causes a divide/animosity (which may be the point), when you choose such bad examples of racism/police brutality. Not to say police don't screw-up with actual criminals, just don't make actual criminals the posterboy for your cause.

There are more than a few examples of this with fine, upstanding citizens...yet somehow they don't attract the media attention and generate all the protests. It's an interesting dynamic, to say the least.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:09 pm 

Didn’t even know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:52 am 

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
I don't get this country anymore. You have 2 morons doing a drive by shooting, get pulled over, run and one gets shot and killed. Another moron in Milwaukee walking up a street shooting a 9mm off in the air and into the ground. Cops come, he runs, gets tased, starts running again and then gets shot and killed. Why protest that there are 2 less morons in this world. It's not like one of them was standing around pointing a toy revolver that looked real at people and then wondering why he was shot and killed too.
Maybe don't run, shut the fuck up and do what the asshole cop tells you. That to me is the best option, rather then getting shot and killed. Just my 2 cents.

In general I'm in agreement with you. Cops don't know if they'll complete their shifts and come back home and it's gotta be almost impossible for a sane person to do this job. The amount of stress and scrutiny they face is nuts.

But reading some details on the Rose shooting, how do you justify shooting someone in the back?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:

In general I'm in agreement with you. Cops don't know if they'll complete their shifts and come back home and it's gotta be almost impossible for a sane person to do this job. The amount of stress and scrutiny they face is nuts.

But reading some details on the Rose shooting, how do you justify shooting someone in the back?

I have no idea about what happened so my comments are in a general sense...

When I was in law enforcement, you could not. The rules for use of force seems to have become much more lax or the judges are allowing a lot more. You could not shoot to stop someone from fleeing. Now, I think you could say you felt threatened to justify just about anything ( unless there are pictures and even then).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:49 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:

I don't believe this would apply to the Rose case, but speaking hypothetically - Would it be justified if the cop & suspect are exchanging gunfire, then the suspect turns and runs? Could the suspect be shooting at the cop while running away?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:54 am 

This cop fucked up. Plain and simple. It appears from the witnesses that he knew he fucked up immediately after he pulled the trigger. Sad for all those involved. I don't know the whole case. But apparently there was a gun in the car and the car was suspected in a drive by. Anyone know if in fact it was the right car? Still the wrong move by the cop, but if the kid was in the car that just did a drive by, It's a bit different than him getting gunned down buying crackerjacks at the corner store.