It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: J.J. Watt to Pay For Funerals of Victims of Texas Shooti
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:27 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
jebrick wrote:
:roll: Damm you people.

You could be discussing that a football player is reaching out to his community to help in a time of tragedy. How much money Watt has raised for flood victims or him reaching out to families to help in a bad time.
I agree. I posted for the sake of clarity only.

You'd be surprised how many players reach out to thier communities. The bigger the name, the more money they have and the more likely you are to read about it. And you usually hear about players in your market only. Live somewhere where there is no NFL franchise, no feel good stories about players. I think it's great he did what he did. Unfortunately, people like to politicize everything.

If by clarity you mean your two cents...then yeah...mission accomplished. Don't get me wrong. I certainly agree the "right wing propaganda machine" downplays and in some cases outright ignores implicit bias. But being the centrist that I am I see liberal agenda being pushed hard as well and identity politics has been a very useful tool to rally their base against perceived political enemies. It is disgusting how the far left and and far right are at such odds that they refuse to meet even on issues that common ground exists because they just can't allow the other side any opportunity to claim a "win". And I echo jebrick's sentiment. JJ Watt seems to be a generally good human being. Good for him for helping people.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:45 am 

SteelPro wrote:
...It is disgusting how the far left and and far right are at such odds that they refuse to meet even on issues that common ground exists because they just can't allow the other side any opportunity to claim a "win".

Yes. But I'm afraid this is the future where there are no good solutions to the few remaining real problems.

Politics is a path to wealth - which is a problem voters could actually fix but they choose not to. The fact that you can create groups/blocs that vote 60/70/80/90% for one party should make one question whether votes are actually a free, independent choice or something highly manipulated and influenced. I'm not sure it's even debatable that the average voter isn't making a conscious, informed choice - that's why campaign spending has a huge correlation with outcome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:56 am 

Kodiak wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
...It is disgusting how the far left and and far right are at such odds that they refuse to meet even on issues that common ground exists because they just can't allow the other side any opportunity to claim a "win".

Yes. But I'm afraid this is the future where there are no good solutions to the few remaining real problems.

Politics is a path to wealth - which is a problem voters could actually fix but they choose not to. The fact that you can create groups/blocs that vote 60/70/80/90% for one party should make one question whether votes are actually a free, independent choice or something highly manipulated and influenced. I'm not sure it's even debatable that the average voter isn't making a conscious, informed choice - that's why campaign spending has a huge correlation with outcome.

eh.. i have a hard time blaming voters. The choices for voters in most elections are binary. Until 3rd parties and /or Independent candidates become viable voting options to the masses it will be this way. 3rd parties have such an uphill grind and we can shame the two major political parties for that. The Republican and Democrat political duopoly refuses to allow the slightest hope of recognition in the voters' eyes for 3rd parties. They've made ballot access laws terribly difficult and they just love taking 3rd parties to court to challenge their efforts. The limited resources that 3rd parties have get chewed up on 1) collecting signatures to gain ballon access, and 2) defending the validity of the signatures they collect. Third parties are forced to fight a war of attrition just to get a name on the ballot and that leaves them with absolutely no resources left to communicate their messages.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:03 am 

SteelPro wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

eh.. i have a hard time blaming voters. The choices for voters in most elections are binary. Until 3rd parties and /or Independent candidates become viable voting options to the masses it will be this way. 3rd parties have such an uphill grind and we can shame the two major political parties for that. The Republican and Democrat political duopoly refuses to allow the slightest hope of recognition in the voters' eyes for 3rd parties. They've made ballot access laws terribly difficult and they just love taking 3rd parties to court to challenge their efforts. The limited resources that 3rd parties have get chewed up on 1) collecting signatures to gain ballon access, and 2) defending the validity of the signatures they collect. Third parties are forced to fight a war of attrition just to get a name on the ballot and that leaves them with absolutely no resources left to communicate their messages.

Not only that, but look how hard the Reps/Dems fought against Gary Johnson to even GET ON TV so he could debate with them.
Sad state of affairs indeed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:09 pm 

Single issue voting and social media news bubbles, far more than campaign spending, create homogeneous voting blocks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:26 pm 

Ice wrote:
Single issue voting and social media news bubbles, far more than campaign spending, create homogeneous voting blocks.

I think that's somewhat circular logic - IMO campaign spending, which uses social media heavily, is how you create single issue voters. Like 80% of the population votes EVERY R or D on nearly every ballot (at least federal) just about every time. The remainder usually split evenly enough such that elections really are about turning out "the base", which is why the rhetoric ramps up and both sides pretend like the other position is a global disaster in the making. I think that 80% are mostly single issue voters, and both parties have their 3-4 go-to "wedge issues" they hammer to turn out the base. And it works just like any other advertising - every time you ring that bell, you get more sales (and it costs money to ring that bell).

Every time people talk about the 2-party duopoly and campaign finance....I just don't see any govt around the world functioning any better so I don't think that's the problem.

You really want to screw with the election process, drop the "R" and "D" designation and scramble the names around!