It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J.J. Watt to Pay For Funerals of Victims of Texas Shooting
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:29 am 

Imagine that.

EDIT : Offered to pay.

Post subject: Re: J.J. Watt to Pay For Funerals of Victims of Texas Shooti
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:30 am 

This is twice now he's stepped up to help his community. Maybe he's actually a great dude?

I'm not going to point out he's spending milions of his own money to do this while some of his colleagues are barely able to kneel for free.....

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:14 am 

Kodiak wrote:
This is twice now he's stepped up to help his community. Maybe he's actually a great dude?

I'm not going to point out he's spending milions of his own money to do this while some of his colleagues are barely able to kneel for free.....

Kaepernick has donated about $1 million dollars to charity.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:20 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Kaepernick has donated about $1 million dollars to charity.

I know, plus a lot of his time. He's not one of the guys I was referring to.

The NFL could and should have countered the whole thing with spotlights on what players were doing in their community. My suspicion is most of the kneelers had nothing to spotlight, which is why the NFL didn't do it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:51 pm 

My suspicion is that it was a big nothing burger until The Prez decided to tell them they can't do it.

I hope more people act like Watt in helping out their communities. he is using his status to call attention and raise money for local people who have suffered a tragedy. At least those tragedies that make the evening news.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:18 am 

jebrick wrote:
At least those tragedies that make the evening news.

LMFAO. There's literally like 100 innocent people "murdered" a year by cops. Half those victims are black. Out of 10M - ten MILLION - arrests annually. It's all fucking bullshit identity politics.

A white woman got her ass beat by cops over the weekend and you know what she said? "I probably shouldn't have resisted arrest". Well, no shit, that's usually the case.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:31 am 

Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:
At least those tragedies that make the evening news.

LMFAO. There's literally like 100 innocent people "murdered" a year by cops. Half those victims are black. Out of 10M - ten MILLION - arrests annually. It's all fucking bullshit identity politics.

A white woman got her ass beat by cops over the weekend and you know what she said? "I probably shouldn't have resisted arrest". Well, no shit, that's usually the case.

Without living in those communities I just cannot say. I think the vast majority of police are professional folks who at worst are subject to implicit bias no more than I am, but probably bettet aware of it and better at dealing with it.

But I have witnessed racist policing in a white upper middle clas neighborhood and dude was def a bad apple. Asshole arrested my black friend for no fucking reason. I know this to be true bc I was with my friend when it happened.

I don’t know that it is ALL identity politics. Surely some is.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:42 pm 

Dem's and liberals traditionally look out for the poor and disenfranchised (usually African Americans, minorities, and/ or immigrants) with social safety nets, while conservatives and republicans aid the rich and well off. This much is fact. The right wing propaganda machine has labeled this " indentity politics" in order to characterize empathy and sense of community is using brown people as political pawns to attain power; denying institutional racism, or any racism / implicit bias doesn't exist to the degree it does..

And more for the sake of clarity :

Quote:
According to the post, an officer followed her after the encounter. "I asked them don't they have something better to do as cops than to stop people for underage drinking on the beach," she wrote. "The cop said, 'I was gonna let you go but now I'll write you up.' "

The officer asked Weinman for her name, which she refused to give, according to the post. She said the officer then informed her he was arresting her. "I tripped and fell and the cop tackled me to the ground and smashed my head into the sand," she wrote. "At that point I blacked out and fought any way possible trying to get up and push him off me."

"Yes, I know I should've gave him my name," she continued. "I was partly wrong in a way but I was scared."

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:02 pm 

:roll: Damm you people.

You could be discussing that a football player is reaching out to his community to help in a time of tragedy. How much money Watt has raised for flood victims or him reaching out to families to help in a bad time.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:33 pm 

jebrick wrote:
:roll: Damm you people.

You could be discussing that a football player is reaching out to his community to help in a time of tragedy. How much money Watt has raised for flood victims or him reaching out to families to help in a bad time.
I agree. I posted for the sake of clarity only.

You'd be surprised how many players reach out to thier communities. The bigger the name, the more money they have and the more likely you are to read about it. And you usually hear about players in your market only. Live somewhere where there is no NFL franchise, no feel good stories about players. I think it's great he did what he did. Unfortunately, people like to politicize everything.