It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Break up the robber baron tech companies
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:09 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Well, since Kodiak thinks that the options are either to sign up to Facebook and handover data or be a social misfit, I’d say the social engineering is working quite nicely for them in respect of at least some people.

I don't have a Facebook account, nor do I post on Twitter. However, I'm also not 15-20 years old. I think any college student rejecting social media would be basically a complete recluse. Nothing to do with social engineering or brainwashing - Facebook is the social hub for millenials and younger. I don't see how that's debatable.

Sure seems to be a fair number of school shootings driven by being bullied or excluded on social media.

Actually most of my students are into apps I’ve never heard of. Facebook is akin to MySpace for sone of my more recent students.

As far as Facebook being the primary social hub, honestly, i’m not sure that’s true any more. My students rely on a lot of apps I have never heard of. I think Facebook in college is for old high school chums. They use other apps for college social life. Brave new world!

This is true. My 14 and 11 yr old daughters think of Facebook as outdated and for their parents. The Myspace comparison is apt. They use Snapchat and Instagram- that's all their friends talk about anymore

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:07 pm 

Yeah, the idea that Facebook is the end all be all of social media is dubious. But as a third party authentication platform it has some significant reach. I know quite a few people that have Facebook accounts not for social networking but because it simplifies authentication with numerous services, apps, apis, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:19 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Yeah, the idea that Facebook is the end all be all of social media is dubious. But as a third party authentication platform it has some significant reach. I know quite a few people that have Facebook accounts not for social networking but because it simplifies authentication with numerous services, apps, apis, etc.

Never ever sign into a page with Facebook account. Those buttons give the website permissions to get your data. If they pay more they get more of your data. Just for logging into a page.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:46 pm 

jebrick wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Never ever sign into a page with Facebook account. Those buttons give the website permissions to get your data. If they pay more they get more of your data. Just for logging into a page.

That might mean something to me if I gave a shit. Seriously, I expect anyone and everyone is selling my data. I’m not surprised by it nor overly bothered by it. Convenience always has a cost. Could be monetary, or in this case sacrificing some privacy. Honestly, I’m less concerned about data being sold as I am the government forcing businesses to hand data over to them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:36 am 

Thought this was interesting...

Quote:
Apple is going to war with Facebook's web trackers

Ever since Facebook’s (FB) massive Cambridge Analytica scandal broke, Apple (AAPL) CEO Tim Cook has made no bones about his distaste for the social media giant’s mishandling of its users’ data.

Now, Cook and company are taking their own steps to jam up social media sites’ web-tracking tools by blocking them in both the upcoming macOS Mojave and iOS 12 versions of Apple’s Safari browser. In other words, the war of words between Facebook and Apple seems to have just gone hot.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/appl ... 55408.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:14 pm 

So a few weeks ago 60 Minutes had a piece on this very topic....there was a Republican congressman saying "Facebook and Google have 84% of internet ad revenue....and the sheer size of their data mining operations is effectively a barrier to entry - no startup can hope to compete with them".

And just last Sunday was they had an interesting piece on some whiz kid in Trump's campaign with how he micro-targeted potential voters on Facebook (very similar to what the Obama campaign did in 2012). Thankfully capitalism means they'll willingly take money from both parties, but what if they put politics first and decided to tip the scales in some manner?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 am 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/general-el ... 1529862757

Quote:
Speaking of which, there’s lots of chatter about breaking up the tech giants: Amazon needs to spin off its cloud business. Apple should split into a hardware and software company. Facebook has to jettison WhatsApp. And Google, well, it should voluntarily reduce its presence in advertising.

Like GE once did, Apple and Amazon each represent around 1% of the U.S. economy. But only Apple is in the Dow. It’s a pretty good bet that in 10 years, and certainly in 20, these companies won’t be the dominating players they are today. I can identify the seeds of destruction already planted at Apple, Amazon, Google and Facebook. No need to break them up; the market will take care of that for us. Just ask GE.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 am 

SteelPro wrote:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/general-electrics-long-unwinding-1529862757

Quote:
Speaking of which, there’s lots of chatter about breaking up the tech giants: Amazon needs to spin off its cloud business. Apple should split into a hardware and software company. Facebook has to jettison WhatsApp. And Google, well, it should voluntarily reduce its presence in advertising.

Like GE once did, Apple and Amazon each represent around 1% of the U.S. economy. But only Apple is in the Dow. It’s a pretty good bet that in 10 years, and certainly in 20, these companies won’t be the dominating players they are today. I can identify the seeds of destruction already planted at Apple, Amazon, Google and Facebook. No need to break them up; the market will take care of that for us. Just ask GE.

Latest "rumors" i've heard is Amazon considering buying UPS. Doubt it'll happen, but man what an interesting maneuver that would be.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:13 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Latest "rumors" i've heard is Amazon considering buying UPS. Doubt it'll happen, but man what an interesting maneuver that would be.

Doubly interesting when you consider the financial impact to the Gubmit....I imagine USPS takes a big hit if Amazon buys UPS and funnels more business thru it.

Amazon I don't really have much issue with. Sure, there's a lot of information in your purchases and the frequency of, but they don't have a 24/7 picture of you (and your friends) like Google and Facebook. Although I've never looked at the permissions for the Amazon app on my phone!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Well, since Kodiak thinks that the options are either to sign up to Facebook and handover data or be a social misfit, I’d say the social engineering is working quite nicely for them in respect of at least some people.

I don't have a Facebook account, nor do I post on Twitter. However, I'm also not 15-20 years old. I think any college student rejecting social media would be basically a complete recluse. Nothing to do with social engineering or brainwashing - Facebook is the social hub for millenials and younger. I don't see how that's debatable.

Sure seems to be a fair number of school shootings driven by being bullied or excluded on social media.

Actually most of my students are into apps I’ve never heard of. Facebook is akin to MySpace for sone of my more recent students.

My point is not really diminished by your response. It is perhaps strengthened. The notion that you cannot live without social media apps without being an outcast simply means these companies have won a cultural purchase. You say that’s not engineering. Fine, but a rose by an alternate name will still smell as sweet.

As far as Facebook being the primary social hub, honestly, i’m not sure that’s true any more. My students rely on a lot of apps I have never heard of. I think Facebook in college is for old high school chums. They use other apps for college social life. Brave new world!

And this backs up your point that Facebook isn't so hip with the youngest generation and it may lose it's grip soon as the leading social media platform. Monopoly???? I think not.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/daily-digit- ... 32636.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next