It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Break up the robber baron tech companies
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:33 pm 

jebrick wrote:
People have willingly given away their data. The data collected by Cambridge Analytical had a disclaimer saying that their data might be sold to 3rd parties.

IT IS FACEBOOK'S BUSINESS MODEL! If you use Facebook, your data can be used and sold.

True, but it's practically a public utility. Give them your data or be a social misfit. You absolutely should have an option of paying them not to use or release your data....but that's a problem for their model.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:50 pm 

This is not at all creepy and terrifying:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/17/1734 ... ta-privacy

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:03 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
This is not at all creepy and terrifying:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/17/1734 ... ta-privacy

Well, since Kodiak thinks that the options are either to sign up to Facebook and handover data or be a social misfit, I’d say the social engineering is working quite nicely for them in respect of at least some people. :shock:

I’m a misfit: never had and never will have a social media account of any kind. Simply uninitersyed in spending time on such a platform. Unless you count SteelerFury. :D

But yeah: it’s fucking creepy.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:11 am 

Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:
People have willingly given away their data. The data collected by Cambridge Analytical had a disclaimer saying that their data might be sold to 3rd parties.

IT IS FACEBOOK'S BUSINESS MODEL! If you use Facebook, your data can be used and sold.

True, but it's practically a public utility. Give them your data or be a social misfit. You absolutely should have an option of paying them not to use or release your data....but that's a problem for their model.

Facebook is in no way a public utility. The ISPs would become utilities ( and should ) well before facebook or google.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:39 am 

Facebook is a stupidity magnet. The thing to do with Facebook is leave or never sign up, and I never did.

Google is more problematic. It certainly is a monopoly in terms of search and YouTube. YouTube is the best university on the planet, BTW, if used properly, and it's free.

The ISPs already are regulated like utilities. What I don't understand is all the fucking mergers after the ATT breakup in 1984.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:24 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

The ISPs already are regulated like utilities. What I don't understand is all the fucking mergers after the ATT breakup in 1984.

not so fast my friend. Ajit Pai ( corporate crony) would like that to be repealed for his masters. Title II would give them the same regulations as the phone and gas companies. Title I allows them to do almost whatever they want ( as long as they report it). It is like being able to cheat on your wife as long as you tell her.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:00 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Well, since Kodiak thinks that the options are either to sign up to Facebook and handover data or be a social misfit, I’d say the social engineering is working quite nicely for them in respect of at least some people.

I don't have a Facebook account, nor do I post on Twitter. However, I'm also not 15-20 years old. I think any college student rejecting social media would be basically a complete recluse. Nothing to do with social engineering or brainwashing - Facebook is the social hub for millenials and younger. I don't see how that's debatable.

Sure seems to be a fair number of school shootings driven by being bullied or excluded on social media.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:07 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
What I don't understand is all the fucking mergers after the ATT breakup in 1984.

60 Minutes story last night on this very subject [Google]. Basically said the Justice department has ignored monopolies for 20 years, RARELY blocking mergers or buyouts.

Google has gobbled up over 200 companies in 2 decades. The ones they didn't buy, they destroyed [or so the EU regulators say].

Personally, there IS more competition among ISP's and substitutes. And Google/Facebook/Netflix have been piling on and smearing the ISP's to distract from the fact the real danger is they control a ton of content. The sheeple eat it up about what the ISP's may or may not allow them to access....while being competely ignorant of how the content kings are basically gatekeepers of what you see on the internet. As I've said many times in this thread, that is FAR more dangerous than "fast lanes" (which actually has merit).

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:43 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Well, since Kodiak thinks that the options are either to sign up to Facebook and handover data or be a social misfit, I’d say the social engineering is working quite nicely for them in respect of at least some people.

I don't have a Facebook account, nor do I post on Twitter. However, I'm also not 15-20 years old. I think any college student rejecting social media would be basically a complete recluse. Nothing to do with social engineering or brainwashing - Facebook is the social hub for millenials and younger. I don't see how that's debatable.

Sure seems to be a fair number of school shootings driven by being bullied or excluded on social media.

Actually most of my students are into apps I’ve never heard of. Facebook is akin to MySpace for sone of my more recent students.

My point is not really diminished by your response. It is perhaps strengthened. The notion that you cannot live without social media apps without being an outcast simply means these companies have won a cultural purchase. You say that’s not engineering. Fine, but a rose by an alternate name will still smell as sweet.

As far as Facebook being the primary social hub, honestly, i’m not sure that’s true any more. My students rely on a lot of apps I have never heard of. I think Facebook in college is for old high school chums. They use other apps for college social life. Brave new world!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:25 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
What I don't understand is all the fucking mergers after the ATT breakup in 1984.

60 Minutes story last night on this very subject [Google]. Basically said the Justice department has ignored monopolies for 20 years, RARELY blocking mergers or buyouts.

Google has gobbled up over 200 companies in 2 decades. The ones they didn't buy, they destroyed [or so the EU regulators say].

Personally, there IS more competition among ISP's and substitutes. And Google/Facebook/Netflix have been piling on and smearing the ISP's to distract from the fact the real danger is they control a ton of content. The sheeple eat it up about what the ISP's may or may not allow them to access....while being competely ignorant of how the content kings are basically gatekeepers of what you see on the internet. As I've said many times in this thread, that is FAR more dangerous than "fast lanes" (which actually has merit).

As does Amazon, as does Disney, As does Comcast/NBCU, as does Time Warner (possibly to be owned by AT&T), as does CBS, as does Viacom, as does FOX, as well as Apple dipping their toes into content...

There are a few potential mergers upcoming such as Disney or Comcast bid to buy Fox, CBS and viacom to merge again, etc... But that still leaves a lot of different players controlling content. So yes, maybe content mergers need to be scrutinized tougher going forward. But there are still a lot of different players controlling content. I don't see the power being that concentrated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next