It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: NON-PARTISAN political post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 pm 

R S wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
R S wrote:
Can you site some specific examples of "disaster" that's being created?
Regardless of how you define "disaster," suffice it to say that his approval ratings are in the toilet amongst the entire country, not just the 26% of the voting public that voted for him. So it seems the majority of the country isn't too thrilled with him or his policies. And the rest of the civilized world doesn't think so highly of him or his policies either. Call it fake news if you like.

I get that he's not likeable. He tweets non-stop. He says inflammatory things regularly. But outside of his crude demeanor, I just wonder what fuels the "sky is falling" crowd. If you really look, you'll see more progress with his fingerprints on than disasters.

Edit: Swiss, you are the king of starting non-political, political threads. People like Cor-Ten and I cannot help but take the bait. Might as well.........

It starts with the premise, RS, that they're all full of shit....I just think it's maddening that these fuckers in Congress....Dems and GOPers alike.....
*Have the fuckin' nerve to break out champagne and toast themselves for re-opening an enterprise that should never, ever, ever stop functioning.
*Go on vacation for weeks at a time, leaving their work unfinished regularly.
*Think they're in some goddamn highfalutin brotherhood or sisterhood....and this happens on the state level as well.

In sum, fuck those bitches. Do the shit you're supposed to do, and stop the self-congratulatory back-slapping and self-promoting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:09 pm 

Can't agree anymore with Swiss. These idiots enjoy sniffing their own farts

Things I'd change immediately :

-congress /prez / senators are paid $1
- furthermore their benefits should not be exempt from obamacare
- cannot administer raises for themselves
- drug testing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:33 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
...an enterprise that should never, ever, ever stop functioning

"Functioning" is a generous, relative term. And only like 1/8th of the govt we could probably get by without actually stopped working (for part of 1 whole day).

I don't disagree with the sentiment of this thread, but at this point you surely must realize that "shutdowns" are mostly a dog-n-pony show to point fingers for political gain?

And if you continue to vote for incumbents then, well, you're partly to blame.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

- drug testing

Ok, so if they were paid $1 you'd either have a Senate and Congress packed with independently wealthy men that don't need any money, or you'd have even more money kickbacks so they can afford to live in one of the most expensive areas in the nation.

I advocate for term limits. When a congressman or senator has been around for a couple decades you start having these narcissistic moments like cracking champagne for doing the very minimal requirements of your job.

It just seems to me that term limits would solve a lot of the problems swiss has with the governing bodies.

I imagine the longstanding politicians would explain that if there was a 4 or 8 year term limit you'd constantly have new officials pouring in that didn't know how to govern...yada yada yada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:53 am 

R S wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

- drug testing

Ok, so if they were paid $1 you'd either have a Senate and Congress packed with independently wealthy men that don't need any money, or you'd have even more money kickbacks so they can afford to live in one of the most expensive areas in the nation.

I advocate for term limits. When a congressman or senator has been around for a couple decades you start having these narcissistic moments like cracking champagne for doing the very minimal requirements of your job.

It just seems to me that term limits would solve a lot of the problems swiss has with the governing bodies.

I imagine the longstanding politicians would explain that if there was a 4 or 8 year term limit you'd constantly have new officials pouring in that didn't know how to govern...yada yada yada

I'm down for term limits as well

Back to the salaries. My premise has always been: name me 1 Prez/Congressman/Senator that isn't ALREADY wealthy before they took this position.

They all come from money and they come TO DC for the added power and ego trip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:02 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

- drug testing

Standard GS pay like it use to be..
Same benefits and laws that we all follow..
Term limits..with limited retirements..
Unlawful to go within 200 yards of a lobbyist
annual in depth dives into financials, to insure your not back dooring the system / people you serve.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:05 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
R S wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

- drug testing

Back to the salaries. My premise has always been: name me 1 Prez/Congressman/Senator that isn't ALREADY wealthy before they took this position.

Keep the salaries where they are ($175k isn't really that much in DC dollars, frankly. At least not considering the position). The real solution is stop all other OTHER, under the table, bullshit that goes on. Lobbyists, bribes, etc, etc. Put a stop to all that so they can have some semblance of the voter's interest dictating their actions instead of auctioning votes to the highest bidder.

Absolutely agree on the term limits. Limit the good ol' boy network.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:24 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

Believe it or not, there are civil servants and elected officials that genuinely want to help governance and do positive things for society. Fame, fortune, and power isn't the only driving force to engage with government. Circumstance has a lot to do with why shit is shit, and the left and right have been artificially congealed into two entities that simply can't, or more accurately won't, mix or compromise.

But I know that means nothing to conservatives and the meme that ALL government officials are scamming the system in the "swamp" and that government is inherently bad. I'm guessing conservatives would do away with government altogether and just install a "leader" with more control than the other branches of government. Dick Cheney wanted to give the prez more power, overriding the constitution, because he felt Nixon was shafted. Add Rog Stone to that list.

If you had an effective manager that keeps the company running efficiently, why would you want to fire them?Corruption and complacency happens everywhere, not just government. But I agree there should be some kind of metric that can be used in terminating someones term and remove the fame fortune and power motivator from the equation. Term limits on the surface sound good, but it would effectively put the handbrake on government when inexperienced managers take their entire term just to figure out what the fuck is going on. Nothing would get done, and if it did, it would be without pause or prudence.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:34 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
R S wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

- drug testing

I don't have the time or energy to look up the backgrounds of officials but i would wager that a majority of Senators and congressman would not have been able to work for free when they started out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:37 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Believe it or not, there are civil servants and elected officials that genuinely want to help governance and do positive things for society. Fame, fortune, and power isn't the only driving force to engage with government. Circumstance has a lot to do with why shit is shit, and the left and right have been artificially congealed into two entities that simply can't, or more accurately won't, mix or compromise.

But I know that means nothing to conservatives and the meme that ALL government officials are scamming the system in the "swamp" and that government is inherently bad. I'm guessing conservatives would do away with government altogether and just install a "leader" with more control than the other branches of government. Dick Cheney wanted to give the prez more power, overriding the constitution, because he felt Nixon was shafted. Add Rog Stone to that list.

If you had an effective manager that keeps the company running efficiently, why would you want to fire them?Corruption and complacency happens everywhere, not just government. But I agree there should be some kind of metric that can be used in terminating someones term and remove the fame fortune and power motivator from the equation. Term limits on the surface sound good, but it would effectively put the handbrake on government when inexperienced managers take their entire term just to figure out what the fuck is going on. Nothing would get done, and if it did, it would be without pause or prudence.

If the term limits are sensible that would't be an issue. I agree 4 or 8 years is too short. But having people in Congress for 20+ is a problem. And honestly, I'm not sure if the number of years is the problem as much as the re-elections themselves. These congressmen make decisions not necessarily on what is in the best interest of all their constituents as much as what they can do to fire up their base for purpose of reelection. Two terms in the senate is 12 years. That is plenty long enough. And the way Senate seats are staggered in elections the turnover from term limits would not be so high as to have too much inexperience in office. For the House, lengthening terms to 4 years with a 2 term limit seems ok to me. But if you want to make it 3x4 for 12 years like the senate I would be ok with that too.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next