It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens v. Broons
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:32 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Orange, I credit you with the win. The hissy fit worked!

Never underestimate the power of a good, old fashioned hissy fit...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:32 pm 

Giving up 4 goals like that in the second period was bush league. But great finish.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:38 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
We give up so many odd man scoring chances

Yea the defensive coverage has been not good but if you want a silver lining we seem to be just playing better with the puck : transition game is better, activating and getting the puck to the D, and most importantly, actually shooting the damn thing. Really feel like Sprongs "shoot everything" mindset had rubbed off

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Giving up 4 goals like that in the second period was bush league. But great finish.

I'm not blaming hunwick for everything but in what world is he better than Cole? Hunwick sucks major cock...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:26 am 

that win was big. went from basement to 5th in one swoop...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 am 

Just a weird game. Period to period the momentum flipped.

That goal to cut it to 5-4 at the end of the second was huge. Credit to Crosby for getting it to Malkin and 71 getting it past Rask to bring them back.

I thought Hagelin played damn well. He didn't do much on score sheet but he played 200 feet and was tough to play against all night. Used his speed well on both ends.

Those Boston announcers got on my nerves. They were literally blowing Pasternak all game long. Then in OT Pasternak was spent but he quit on the play(where the Pens scored to win) and Malkin and Kessel were off to the races. Credit Crosby's mini line for getting off before the Bruins could change which led to the game winner.

When your stars score or dominate you win. Good to see Malkin and Crosby putting up the points. Good to see back to back games where they scored a lot-man I have missed that so far.
Hopefully the break doesn't have an effect upon the recent flow.

Hunwick/Cole- Hunwick blows around the net but he doesn't get caught pinching too often and has some decent offensive skills. Cole is pretty good around the net but gets caught pinching too often and out of place.

Guentzel was better on the PK. He might even fit there for the next few weeks. Still think the third line is too small and defensively weak. Too thin to really make any sweeping changes on the lines now except for a move here or a small move there.

I don't know if the Pens are finding their way yet but with them scoring the way they have recently it is encouraging. The Carolina defeat still leaves a bitter taste in the palette because there is no way they should be dominated like that.

Five days off then back to back afternoon games next weekend.Of course the Pens and Steelers play at the same time next Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:00 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

Five days off then back to back afternoon games next weekend.Of course the Pens and Steelers play at the same time next Sunday.

I thought they changed the start of the Pens game to accomodate?

Anyway I'm not sure I like the lines but Sully is handcuffed by the lack of a 3rd C. I think Jake is trying his best there but you can tell he's not effective in that role right now. Plus Jake only got 12 mins and Sheahan got even less. Not saying those guys are great but that seems like they are being underutilized

I'd love to try Simon at C (he's played it before in the minors), but you don't want to mess with Sid's current roll he's got going. Lots of questions at F but the Defensive personnel should be the EASIEST thing to fix. But Cole is in Sully's doghouse right now and I doubt he gets out

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Lots of questions at F but the Defensive personnel should be the EASIEST thing to fix. But Cole is in Sully's doghouse right now and I doubt he gets out

I'm pretty sure Cole ran over Sully's dog. That's about the only answer I have at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:44 pm 

What would the Pens record be if the whole game was played 3 on 3? They’d have 70 wins.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:28 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

I thought they changed the start of the Pens game to accomodate?

Anyway I'm not sure I like the lines but Sully is handcuffed by the lack of a 3rd C. I think Jake is trying his best there but you can tell he's not effective in that role right now. Plus Jake only got 12 mins and Sheahan got even less. Not saying those guys are great but that seems like they are being underutilized

I'd love to try Simon at C (he's played it before in the minors), but you don't want to mess with Sid's current roll he's got going. Lots of questions at F but the Defensive personnel should be the EASIEST thing to fix. But Cole is in Sully's doghouse right now and I doubt he gets out

I was going off an old schedule. The Pens play at 7:30 PM.
Guentzel isn't the answer at 3rd center and I would rather keep him at wing so he can work his way out of his slump. This new position along with the PK isn't going to help in that regard.

I look at Hunwick and Cole as two guys with holes. Holes that happen to contrast from player to player. When Sully put Hagelin back with 71/81 that line struggled defensively. I noticed that Cole was out there with that line the past few weeks and he seemed to as much a culprit as the poor defensively chemistry b/n those three. Just an observation and certainly it could be a flawed one.
Thankfully the addition of Oleksiak has been a good one. I like the guy and am surprised how well he has worked into the flow.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of the line with 87/12/41. Young guys bring energy and there is a good amount of skill with the young wingers.
Never thought of Simon at center. Still think they solve that issue outside of the team currently.

Small steps I guess.

bradshaw2ben wrote:
What would the Pens record be if the whole game was played 3 on 3? They’d have 70 wins.

Five minutes here and there is fine. Lots of teams could match us in this regard and probably cause a lot of problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:33 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Five minutes here and there is fine. Lots of teams could match us in this regard and probably cause a lot of problems.

IDK, fractal... the Pens... in particular Malkin-Kessel-Dumervil seem unmatchable in 3 on 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:08 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

IDK, fractal... the Pens... in particular Malkin-Kessel-Dumervil seem unmatchable in 3 on 3

Sully went with Schultz in OT with 71/81 then finished with Letang. Normally I believe it is Letang on the top trio and if Schultz is healthy he gets second line threesome love.
I bet you would sing a different song if McKinnon or MacDavid were out there. Washington, Tampa, Columbus and Chicago to name a few would give the Birdies a run in OT.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:26 pm 

Elvis Dumervil?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:49 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Elvis Dumervil?

Suggs was in the locker room getting some work done on his skates.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
I bet you would sing a different song if McKinnon or MacDavid were out there. Washington, Tampa, Columbus and Chicago to name a few would give the Birdies a run in OT.

I was remembering the Edmonton game OT, specifically-- scary with McDavid or anyone with top level speed but I thought, even in that context that the Birdies had a great relative advantage overall in 3 on 3.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:21 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

I was remembering the Edmonton game OT, specifically-- scary with McDavid or anyone with top level speed but I thought, even in that context that the Birdies had a great relative advantage overall in 3 on 3.

I don't remember the end of that contest.

I think the key to the Pens 3 on 3 success has to do with the defensemen being used. Letang has the pure speed to match up and Schultz the savvy to compete.
I would love to have the time to go over each 3 on 3 in the league this year just to see how some teams approach it and the tendencies that come from such.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 pm 

Yeah, spellcheck is awesome.