It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Jackets 12-21-17
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:36 pm 

That's a fantastic appeal to authority...I mean I've got nothing to combat it because coaches never make the incorrect decision.

Carry on. It is still my stance that if it's a coin flip in terms of who you choose in a shootout, you don't go with the guy who is a headcase (Letang) when he's had a rough week or game. I'll make the same case with Kessel- if he's had a poor stretch, don't go with the cold hand.

But I thought it was a smack in the face to Kessel back then, a guy who had/has been really carrying this team in the form of OT winners to have his ass stapled to the bench, while air head Kris Letang gets a shot (well he technically didn't get it on net if I recall).

Letang has been much better (not where he needs to be) the past week or so, and I felt he deserved the 3rd try just as much as Kessel. That's the only argument I'm making here: go with the mojo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:54 pm 

I too understand the need to attention to details including the little ones. Yet, when a Pens game goes to shootout it seems this board really gets heavy handed with the critiquing of the placement of shooters-like it is the most important thing in the game.

Last night for the second time Sullivan broke up the top PP unit. Did it a game or two ago as well. Crosby and Guentzel on the top with Malkin and Kessel on the second unit. I went back and looked at the players on ice and their time just before the penalty and no one(Crosby or Malkin) had been on long enough that they needed to rest before joining the PP. And its not like this is some new dynamic because in the past when either had been extended they sucked it up and still went out on the top PP.
So what are we seeing with this new twist? Is Sully open to splitting up his franchise duo on the PP? What is next? Play them together?

It is those kinds of things that I would rather discuss than who went where in the SO lineup.
Just saying.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:49 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
I too understand the need to attention to details including the little ones. Yet, when a Pens game goes to shootout it seems this board really gets heavy handed with the critiquing of the placement of shooters-like it is the most important thing in the game.

Last night for the second time Sullivan broke up the top PP unit. Did it a game or two ago as well. Crosby and Guentzel on the top with Malkin and Kessel on the second unit. I went back and looked at the players on ice and their time just before the penalty and no one(Crosby or Malkin) had been on long enough that they needed to rest before joining the PP. And its not like this is some new dynamic because in the past when either had been extended they sucked it up and still went out on the top PP.
So what are we seeing with this new twist? Is Sully open to splitting up his franchise duo on the PP? What is next? Play them together?

It is those kinds of things that I would rather discuss than who went where in the SO lineup.
Just saying.

I think Sully (well at least I think it's him and not Recchi) who has not been shy about trying new combos on the PP. He definitely uses PP time as a carrot/stick. If he feels you (or a handful of the top guys) aren't engaged, he'll put out the 2nd unit even if the typical first unit guys are fresh. Believe at one point Kuhn was doing some screening on the PP if I remember?

I think the other game he's playing is that he wants to make his PP unpredictable with personnel and movement. Remember last playoffs (can't remember who, maybe OTT) was refusing to let Kessel QB the PP from his hashmark and they were in a major funk? He knows the shtick can get stale and works some wrinkles, unlike the Caps who count on Ovi in the left circle and when that doesn't work they all sulk and their PP sucks. They've got only 1 trick but no counter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:09 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
That's a fantastic appeal to authority...I mean I've got nothing to combat it because coaches never make the incorrect decision.

Carry on. It is still my stance that if it's a coin flip in terms of who you choose in a shootout, you don't go with the guy who is a headcase (Letang) when he's had a rough week or game. I'll make the same case with Kessel- if he's had a poor stretch, don't go with the cold hand.

But I thought it was a smack in the face to Kessel back then, a guy who had/has been really carrying this team in the form of OT winners to have his ass stapled to the bench, while air head Kris Letang gets a shot (well he technically didn't get it on net if I recall).

Letang has been much better (not where he needs to be) the past week or so, and I felt he deserved the 3rd try just as much as Kessel. That's the only argument I'm making here: go with the mojo

And that's a fine opinion. My issue is not, and has never been, your stance on the issue itself.

My issue is, and has been, that you argue like there's no reasonable alternative, which is complete and utter crap, and of which its level of importance wasn't even remotely proportional to the amount of vigor you put into defending it.

Same thing with Archibold/Kuhnhackl . For as adamant as you were in insisting Archibold should have been in the lineup and Kuhnhackl shouldn't (mentioning just about every time fractal listed a lineup), I had to go back and look at Archibold's AHL stats, thinking maybe he was having some crazy amount of success down there that I wasn't aware of. Turned out, his stats comparable to, yet worse, than Kuhnhackl's.

And that doesn't mean I'm saying you're wrong in liking Archibold better, there's surely arguments out there that will support that and that's not the argument I'm trying to initiate. I'm just saying the difference isn't nearly as important as you seemed to want everyone to believe. And it seems that just about everyone else agrees with me in that because I notice that absolutely no one took the bait in initiating that conversation with you when you brought it up time after time. Why? Because it wasn't an argument that was worth the effort to even make.

And I think that's what fractal is saying as well. There's plenty of bigger and more interesting things to discuss, so why do you and others keep ignoring those things and latching onto things with far less importance and interest?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:26 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

And I think that's what fractal is saying as well. There's plenty of bigger and more interesting things to discuss, so why do you and others keep ignoring those things and latching onto things with far less importance and interest?

And that's what's neato about message boards- people are free to discuss, ignore, debate about what they want to.
Isn't that kinda fun? If you don't like it, then just ignore it. Not that difficult