It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't Know Shit About Hockey, but....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm 

I know much of the season is remaining, but not feeling it for a Threepeat, or even close, this year.

I think we simply lost too many important components, most significantly, our #3 & #4 centers.

Puckheads agree?

Post subject: Re: Don't Know Shit About Hockey, but....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:25 pm 

few things more than likely contributing...Stanley cup hangover...your goaltending last season was off the charts...kunitz was a loss on and off the ice, and he had great chemistry with crosby...winning with the collection of defenders the pens had last season still baffles me today, and imo that had a lot to do with the off the charts goaltending that i referenced above...perhaps tocchet on the asst coaching side...had a great rapport with the players especially kessel not that klessel has been bad

edit forgot about bonino and Cullen as well...theres the answer right there..you guys got great goaltending and had really good depth...not rollin out 4 really good offensive lines any more

Last edited by GreekSteel on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:07 pm 

I'm hopeful they get shit together as season goes on.. maybe a trade or two that add to the cause!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:27 pm 

I don’t know shit about hockey either...but let me just say that at this point in the past two seasons, it didn’t feel like there were Cups in the future either.
Long way to go and a lot of moves to/can be made...just saying.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:41 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
I don’t know shit about hockey either...but let me just say that at this point in the past two seasons, it didn’t feel like there were Cups in the future either.
Long way to go and a lot of moves to/can be made...just saying.

most definitely...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:54 pm 

Lots of similar complaints at the same exact time last year. Not concerned...yet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:51 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Lots of similar complaints at the same exact time last year. Not concerned...yet

I usually don't watch much hockey until football's over. Not so this year with my nhl.tv subscription....maybe that explains my outlook.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:45 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

I usually don't watch much hockey until football's over. Not so this year with my nhl.tv subscription....maybe that explains my outlook.

Yeah, this is very much a "wait and see" team. There will be some moves made to address some issues, particularly the center position. Goal is to just stay in the hunt for the first half of the season, then get their together for a run during the second half.

I definitely think they'll be more competitive during the second half. Will it be enough? Who knows? The way I look at is we're pretty much playing with house money at this point. So if we don't hit that upswing, that's fine. It almost feels greedy asking for more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:39 am 

lol, Chris Kunitz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:26 pm 

I don't remember them being so crappy 5 on 5 last year or so badly defensively for long stretches.

I haven't seen a consistent effort from nearly every player on the roster. Even Rust who was a stalwart early has regressed the last month.
Murray wasn't as good either and that is part on him and his glove weakness and crap defense around him and from the forwards.

This team knows what it takes to win the Stanley cup. That is part of the battle.
Remember when the Pens won in 2009 and we thought there would be more and right away? I have this notion that that squad didn't want to put forth the effort to win championships following back to back cup finals. Then came Sullivan and he was the answer in part for that. I know that injuries sabotaged a few seasons so that was a factor as well.

These guys know what it takes and I'm hoping they are just putting forth enough to hang close and when the second half gets going they will put forth a better effort.
I have my doubts though.