It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Don't Know Shit About Hockey, but....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:35 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
I don't remember them being so crappy 5 on 5 last year or so badly defensively for long stretches.

I haven't seen a consistent effort from nearly every player on the roster.

If you didn't get the CBC feed, they actually asked Sully about last years Pens team.

I'm paraphrasing, but this was Sully's response:

"Last year we were uneven but goaltending saved us from falling behind the pack
This year we're uneven as well, but the PP saved us from falling behind"

But this team last year got outshot on a consistent basis...sometimes outchanced too but MAF and MM bailed their asses out

This year: Well the Niemi games really pushed their 5 v 5 stats way back. MM had a couple of stinkers too.

The good thing is the stuff I'm seeing is correctable: they are missing switches and coverages in the Dzone
the bad thing is that it's the same problem I see with my 5th grade daughter's bball team. This type of stuff shouldn't be happening on such a consistent basis at the NHL level.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm 

One thing about hockey, if you're 8th place or better at the end of March, you still have a chance. It's the one sport where the higher seeds aren't as certain to win.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:27 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
I don't remember them being so crappy 5 on 5 last year or so badly defensively for long stretches.

I haven't seen a consistent effort from nearly every player on the roster.

If you didn't get the CBC feed, they actually asked Sully about last years Pens team.

I'm paraphrasing, but this was Sully's response:

"Last year we were uneven but goaltending saved us from falling behind the pack
This year we're uneven as well, but the PP saved us from falling behind"

But this team last year got outshot on a consistent basis...sometimes outchanced too but MAF and MM bailed their asses out

This year: Well the Niemi games really pushed their 5 v 5 stats way back. MM had a couple of stinkers too.

The good thing is the stuff I'm seeing is correctable: they are missing switches and coverages in the Dzone
the bad thing is that it's the same problem I see with my 5th grade daughter's bball team. This type of stuff shouldn't be happening on such a consistent basis at the NHL level.

I don't remember them playing behind so much last year as this year. They play in a deficit far too often and the early goals allowed have been a thorn in their thigh.

As to the bolded-line changes have been a problem all year. Agree about the switches and covering in a smart manner in the DZ. When you don't move your feet and don't close off space(s) you see what the Pens have been to this point defensively.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 pm 

I have faith in Sully.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:21 pm 

Obviously wrote:
I have faith in Sully.

He is part of the problem.

The team comes out flat nearly every game.
The haven't solved the 5 on 5 problem.
Line changes have been sloppy and have led to odd chances and easy goals.
The bottom 6 isn't very good and that is in part to the off season and no moves being made.
If I'm Sully I go to Rutherford and tell him to get rid of Reaves. Nothing against the player or guy but he isn't a fit on this team. Maybe move Simon up full time and onto the bottom 6. He would bring a talent upgrade to that part of the roster.

There is blame to go all around. Everyone to this point(sans a player or two here) has been below the line.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:57 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Obviously wrote:
I have faith in Sully.

He is part of the problem.

The team comes out flat nearly every game.
The haven't solved the 5 on 5 problem.
Line changes have been sloppy and have led to odd chances and easy goals.
The bottom 6 isn't very good and that is in part to the off season and no moves being made.
If I'm Sully I go to Rutherford and tell him to get rid of Reaves. Nothing against the player or guy but he isn't a fit on this team. Maybe move Simon up full time and onto the bottom 6. He would bring a talent upgrade to that part of the roster.

There is blame to go all around. Everyone to this point(sans a player or two here) has been below the line.

Yeah, he was fun to watch when I was in da house against Nashville....but really hasn't done shit.