It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cole trade makes me feel like the Hunwick signing made s
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:57 am 

3. The surest predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. Last year, Pittsburgh was carrying three goalies and there was interest in Mike Condon. GM Jim Rutherford knew it. The hope from outside was the Penguins would place him on waivers, but Rutherford resisted. He wanted… something. Finally, Ottawa stepped up with a fifth-rounder for a player who helped saved their season. As the Post-Gazette’s Jason Mackey reported, Ian Cole is available. That’s someone who really impressed me in the playoffs, a battler on an undermanned blue line that stepped up in a big way. The Penguins, not wanting to risk injury, are keeping him out of the lineup, knowing Cole would throw himself on a live grenade.

It’s hard to see this ending without a trade, but Rutherford will do this at his pace and not until he gets what he wants. It is unfortunate to see it play out this way. Pittsburgh and Cole were great for each other.

4. The interesting variable is Rutherford giving agent Kevin Magnuson permission to talk to teams. It opens the possibility of a sign-and-trade, making the UFA-to-be more than a rental. That could improve Pittsburgh’s return. Mackey reported Colorado, Toronto and Vegas as potential partners. I could see the first two for sure, especially since the Maple Leafs have Calvin Pickard and Garret Sparks in the AHL if the Penguins feel they need a bridge during Matt Murray’s injury hiatus. (But I’m not sure I see Toronto wanting to add term.)

I wonder if Chicago and Edmonton wade into this. New Jersey seems like a match, but is there any chance Pittsburgh deals in the Metropolitan?

31 Thoughts Frieddman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:03 am 

I have no issue at all with pursuing trades of a valuable asset like to Cole to help improve the club. The Penguins front office has earned a long leash to make whatever moves they see fit. But holding a guy out of the lineup to protect his value...now that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If the Pirates did that they would be VILIFIED.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:08 am 

SteelPro wrote:
I have no issue at all with pursuing trades of a valuable asset like to Cole to help improve the club. The Penguins front office has earned a long leash to make whatever moves they see fit. But holding a guy out of the lineup to protect his value...now that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If the Pirates did that they would be VILIFIED.

Had the Pirates won three World Series championships with their current core, including the last two consecutively, I think people would be more inclined to trust management. Any attempt at comparing the Penguins front office with that borderline dumpster fire at PNC is ridiculous at this point. I'm laughing out loud as I have to type it.

Additionally, it's not like Sully hasn't benched Cole before.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:08 pm 

Ice wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Had the Pirates won three World Series championships with their current core, including the last two consecutively, I think people would be more inclined to trust management. Any attempt at comparing the Penguins front office with that borderline dumpster fire at PNC is ridiculous at this point. I'm laughing out loud as I have to type it.

Additionally, it's not like Sully hasn't benched Cole before.

You could substitute Pirates for any franchise in most any sport. Holding a healthy veteran player out of the lineup is pretty much universally frowned upon. It is one thing if a trade is imminent. It is accepted practice for pitchers to get scratched at the trade deadline for A START. But not more than 1. When you are talking about scratching a player for a week straight... that doesn't seem like the right way to treat a player. Of course this is all speculative as to why he is being scratched.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 pm 

Hockey isn't baseball. When was the last time a MLB player was asked to take the pounding any NHL player, particularly a hitting, shot-blocking defenseman like Cole does on a nightly basis? Apples and oranges.

Also, again, the back to back titles instill a little bit of confidence.

And also, again, Cole has been a healthy scratch under Sullivan before, and the rumors are that they are not exactly getting along super well at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 pm 

Ice wrote:
Hockey isn't baseball. When was the last time a MLB player was asked to take the pounding any NHL player, particularly a hitting, shot-blocking defenseman like Cole does on a nightly basis? Apples and oranges.

Also, again, the back to back titles instill a little bit of confidence.

And also, again, Cole has been a healthy scratch under Sullivan before, and the rumors are that they are not exactly getting along super well at the moment.

You can’t possibly think that an NHL defenseman is more fragile and carries a greater injury risk than an MLB pitcher. And I have no issues with the Penguins sitting Cole for legitimate reasons. I just don’t buy that a legitimate reason would be to keep him healthy while they are working on a trade. Not for an entire week. A single game maybe if they were real close to a deal. Not a whole week.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:55 pm 

Maybe not more fragile, but any one of those many shots Cole blocks...

And like I said, there's possibly more than one reason that Cole is benched.

One way or another, I'm assuming this situation is going to resolve itself soon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:08 am 

The Pirates ownership sucks a huge bag of dicks. Who gives a fuck about the differences in reactions. Players from superstars to role players get benched all the time. Cole had a great game tonight. It'll be forgotten in five seconds, especially if he's not traded.