It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Bruins 11-24-17
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Hack - what you say is true but what centers were available for trade? Gotta have a willing partner to do a deal. We could've offered Cullen a billion dollars to stay but his wife chose Minnesota over any type of offer from us. Paying bones $4m for that term didn't make any sense either

That goes for Hags too : what team wants to take on that salary for what little production he brings?

Centers are expensive to acquire and we had the luxury of going 4 deep. We lost half of the depth and it's probably not going to be rebuilt in less than 6 months. Maybe Sheahan becomes the 4th C and we acquire someone better and things get fixed.

That's definitely a challenging question, but it's one I think that can be answered with "Rob Scuderi". Obviously Hagelin is a lot more of a player than Scuderi was at the time of the trade. A lot of it is knowing HOW the Penguins spent the money they did have. Sheahan and Reaves combine for about $3.125 in salary. I think Bonino signed for $4.1 million? Teams would want to take a 1-year flyer on Hagelin. I think Edmonton would be a great fit for Hagelin. He's got speed, which they don't really have outside of McDavid, and he does the little things that they were trying to get out of Jokinen and now Cammalieri. They definitely have the cap space for him. Toss the Penguins a pick or two, and it would have worked. All the sudden the team has $8 million in cap space. You can either re-sign Bonino with that and work with the $3 million or so you'd have left and would be willing to spend in cushion or go a different route. Hell, you can make the Riley Sheahan trade and still have about the same cap space leftover. Let's keep Scott Wilson in that deal and bump the 5th round pick the Penguins received back to a 6th rounder. I like Sheahan much more on the 4th line. So, the bottom 6 would look something like:

Archibald - Bonino - Hornqvist
S. Wilson - Sheahan - Kuhnackl

Obviously, I'd move around those pieces as needed, including bumping Sheary down to that 3rd line and maybe bumping Wilson up to L3. I'd want to get Archibald to RW as well. I think the master plan would be to get Sprong up here, so I could also see a situation where you DON'T get Sheahan, keep McKegg up here, and then make a deadline deal for a 2nd line LW. That bumps Rust down to L3 and Archibald out of the lineup. One of these bottom 6 guys can be traded to make room for Sprong, but the one I think would make the most sense is Conor Sheary. He's skilled but undersized, and it'd make a lot of sense to replace him internally with Sprong at RW3. I think Sheary would demand a fairly decent return, and the Penguins would clear about $3 million in cap from a guy that isn't a strong playoff performer, especially against bigger teams.

By my math, the Penguins would have about $6 million in cap space to get a prorated LW for the 2nd line in this scenario. Maybe the Penguins make a big move for Gabriel Landeskog. Maybe Sheary is involved in that trade? Who knows.

Replacing the speed guys for shit guys wasn't the answer.

Easier said than done, but the team could look something like:

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
XXX - Malkin - Kessel
Rust - Bonino - Sprong
Wilson - McKegg/Sheahan - Kuhnackl/Archibald

Oh, if I'm GM JR, I don't make the Hunwick deal either, which would save an additional 1.5 million or so. I would have put Pouliot as a bottom pairing guy to rotate in and out with Ruehwedel. That was another situation of not playing the young, talented player to bring in retread slop. The Penguins could have simply not traded for Reaves, Sheahan, and signed Hunwick and could have retained Bonino and used the internal options they had in place and been far better off.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:52 pm 

Are we sure that Bonino wanted to stay here and be a third center? Even at 4 million a year?

If the Pens don't get better defensively and stop this slow start to each game the roster won't matter much.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:14 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Are we sure that Bonino wanted to stay here and be a third center? Even at 4 million a year?

If the Pens don't get better defensively and stop this slow start to each game the roster won't matter much.

Knowing he's playing 3C with Aberg and Jarnkrok on the team the Penguins beat in the finals last year, yes.