It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pens vs Senators 11-16-17
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:09 pm 

Tough night in front of the tube. Concentrate on the first period then it is Steeler time.

Penguins projected lineup

Jake Guentzel -- Sidney Crosby -- Bryan Rust

Carl Hagelin -- Evgeni Malkin -- Phil Kessel

Conor Sheary -- Riley Sheahan -- Patric Hornqvist

Tom Kuhnhackl -- Greg McKegg -- Ryan Reaves

Olli Maatta -- Kris Letang

Brian Dumoulin -- Chad Ruhwedel

Ian Cole -- Justin Schultz

Matt Murray

Tristan Jarry

Scratched: Frank Corrado, Josh Archibald

Injured: Matt Hunwick (concussion), Carter Rowney (hand)

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Senators 11-16-17
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:54 pm 

The 3rd line looked to have some chemistry last game, which is awesome for Sheahan's confidence. I bet he's happy to finally have some consistent wingers. Probably hard to acclimate to a new team/city by itself let alone having your wingers shuffled.

Jake wasn't great last game- consistently killing possessions with flat out bad decisions and giveaways. The line on paper, has some potential (although Rust seems to always struggle with top defenders during his stints with Sid).

I'd like to clarify my issues with Kuhn- I think he's a good soldier...an ok 12th F, but you can only have ONE of Kuhn/Reaves on a line and a team which values speed/puck possession. If mgmt insists Reaves plays all the time, then to me there is no spot for Kuhn. His calling card is blocked shots and PKing...well not to put ALL the failures of the PK on 1 person but our PK is like 25th in the league. Be a different story if we had the best PK and you are hesitant to break up a winning combo and are knowingly sacrificing something at Even Strength. But that's not the case at all.

Kuhn is Rob Scuderi if he played forward.... A dinosaur in today's game

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:36 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
The 3rd line looked to have some chemistry last game, which is awesome for Sheahan's confidence. I bet he's happy to finally have some consistent wingers. Probably hard to acclimate to a new team/city by itself let alone having your wingers shuffled.

Jake wasn't great last game- consistently killing possessions with flat out bad decisions and giveaways. The line on paper, has some potential (although Rust seems to always struggle with top defenders during his stints with Sid).

I'd like to clarify my issues with Kuhn- I think he's a good soldier...an ok 12th F, but you can only have ONE of Kuhn/Reaves on a line and a team which values speed/puck possession. If mgmt insists Reaves plays all the time, then to me there is no spot for Kuhn. His calling card is blocked shots and PKing...well not to put ALL the failures of the PK on 1 person but our PK is like 25th in the league. Be a different story if we had the best PK and you are hesitant to break up a winning combo and are knowingly sacrificing something at Even Strength. But that's not the case at all.

Kuhn is Rob Scuderi if he played forward.... A dinosaur in today's game

Good point about Knuckle/Reaves and the 12th spot. Just means that Rutherford has his work cut out to bring about a change on the fourth line.

I don't see Knuckle as slow as you do. I think his straight line speed is fine but he really isn't much more than a PK'er at this juncture.
And the PK, what can be said except that it has to get better. What is the solution? Again Rutherford and Sully are probably formulating a plan to improve upon it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 pm 

Good start up to and through the PP. After that they look uninterested far too often.

Duchene is giving the second line fits.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:31 am 

Nice clamp down by the Pens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 am 

Murray held shit together in the first and the Pens tightened the screws in the 2nd/3rd periods

Probably the most complete game and while it wasn't the run of 2016, it was the Pens of old: cycle below the goalline and then feed the points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:03 am 

It was hard to balance both games but the Pens did get better IMV after the first period.

Did anyone see how angry Sullivan was when the Pens wasted a first period PP? They were on the advantage and Letang and Malkin were on the points. Letang threw a hasty sloppy pass that Malkin had to go sprawling for. He snagged the puck but once he got his balance back he was confronted and turned the puck over. Then Malkin made matters worse when he tripped the Senator player killing the advantage.
Sullivan looked like he was going to have a stroke.

Another good test tomorrow night.