It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Sabres 11-14-17
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:02 pm 

Ice wrote:
I know it's just fwiw, and there's another game tonight, but I think putting Tanger in positions to have some success (where he's traditionally been above average) and rebuild confidence is a valid coaching strategy, and may even be more important to the team in the long run than a point in mid-November. I have confidence that there are big-picture moves being made, and the leadership (coaches and players) understands that this one is going to be the hardest one to win. There's a reason why your team will live forever if you pull it off. Pretty sure it isn't lost on that locker room, or the front office for that matter.

I certainly thought about that angle. I don't pretend to know Letang's psyche, but the dude seems easily rattled from chirping at refs to things spiraling out of control when things don't start off well.

So to your point about playing the long game with building Letang back up by offering this chance, well it can cut both ways: Great if he succeeds but what happens when he fails? Does he fall even further to the abyss?

Guess time will tell. And it's not like I hate Letang...I just hate his game right now. He was phenomenal in the 16 Cup run...last year in the limited amount of games he played he wasn't great, but he wasn't this bad either. This part of a downward spiral for him or just a valley he can climb out of?