It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Sabres 11-14-17
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:47 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Kessel (the dude who couldn't get a nod in the shootout) with the big goal

Not sure how a one-timer equates to a shootout, but whatever helps ya sleep at night.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:51 pm 

Sheary...from Sid!! First minute of OT!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:53 pm 

2 points and still undefeated in regulation at home.

Couldn’t ask for more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:55 pm 

That was awesome. Wow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:15 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Sheary...from Sid!! First minute of OT!!

you mean Share-y

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:16 pm 

man, did the Pens crank it up in the last half of that game

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:12 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Not sure how a one-timer equates to a shootout, but whatever helps ya sleep at night.

Believe Kessel has goals in 5 straight games? And he's had a couple of OT winners. Ride the hot hand, always

But Letang sure buried his chance instead of Kessel getting a sniff....oh wait....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Believe Kessel has goals in 5 straight games? And he's had a couple of OT winners. Ride the hot hand, always

But Letang sure buried his chance instead of Kessel getting a sniff....oh wait....

Cause, you know, one example of something ALWAYS proves everything. Never mind that the puck rolled on Letang. Never mind that literally none of the stats agree with you. No, let's not focus on those things. Let's instead dumb the argument down to pre-school levels and say "I don't like that guy, so I want this guy to do it".

And like Fractal said in the other thread, this is such a stupid thing to be bitter about. If you would have kept the argument in the other thread where it was still in context, I'd say, yeah, you're entitled to your opinion, let's move on. But to be so bitter about this that you felt the need to bring it up in a completely different game thread, in a completely different context is so unbelievably stupid.

You act like putting Kessel into that shootout was a no-brainer, when that's not even remotely true. Letang has shown to be one of the better shooutout guys in his league through his entire career, even through some of his worst years. So you're just going assume he sucks at shootouts because he hasn't been good elsewhere? Meanwhile, Kessel has been fairly average through his career in shootouts. But you're going to assume that Kessel is suddenly better than average because he's playing better than usual? And you're going to tell me that those assumptions should trump what our back to back Stanley cup winning coach sees in practice every day when they undoubtedly do breakaway drills?

And then you're going to tell me that a sample size of exactly one is proof that you're right?

That sum it up? Cause, I'll remember that next time Murray misses an easy glove save. Cause I'll be looking for you to come in here and tell everyone how much Murray sucks based on that one sample.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:39 pm 

Relax man- we're all on the same team. And if you didn't like my comment in this thread you could've just ya know just ignored it?

We can question Sully's tactics without saying we're turning on him. I happen think he's one of the best coaches in the league. I also think he's making strategic fuck ups that limit his opportunity to win games (Kuhn being 1 of them)

Point being, coaches put their players in the best position to win. Letang, by ANY MEASURE is struggling. Kessel, by ANY MEASURE is red hot.

Yes statistics are important to take into context, but so is the eye test. If both players were playing at the same level, I don't even bring this topic up...and I'd certainly agree to go with "what do the stats tell us?"

But you want to go all moneyball then have at it. At the end of the day it is 1 point, but I'd hate to have that 1 point come down to whether we get 2nd vs 3rd place in the division and have to start the playoffs on the road.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 pm 

I know it's just fwiw, and there's another game tonight, but I think putting Tanger in positions to have some success (where he's traditionally been above average) and rebuild confidence is a valid coaching strategy, and may even be more important to the team in the long run than a point in mid-November. I have confidence that there are big-picture moves being made, and the leadership (coaches and players) understands that this one is going to be the hardest one to win. There's a reason why your team will live forever if you pull it off. Pretty sure it isn't lost on that locker room, or the front office for that matter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next