It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Predators 11-11-17
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:53 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
The Pens battle back from two deficits last night, one being multiple goals and you guys want to harp on about shootouts? Shootouts that rarely happen?

I understand why because it changes the narrative from a guys getting it done to one that doesn't by showing him to be superior in a much less significant category.

Hot dog and Malkin are carrying the offense and have for the past three weeks. On the other hand our best player and one deemed best on the planet(which I also believe) is mired in a deep offensive slump-11 games and counting without a goal. And how many of those games has he gone totally scoreless?

You want to look at one big reason why the Pens are ordinary? Because Crosby isn't getting it done offensively. The guy that led the league in goals last year. The guy who was the heart of the team that won the Cup back to back.
But carry on about how this player or that player sucks in shootouts by all means-that is the Pens real problem.

I just can't get that worked over Crosby right now. He's earned the benefit of the doubt from me and I find it highly unlikely that he doesn't break out of the slump at some point. If it's still an issue three months from now, then yeah, I'll worry.

I'm not worried about Sid either but...the Pens have been terrible offensively the past 3 weeks and that coincides with the Crosby slump. We surely could use some secondary scoring and some from the back end. The only consistent offensive players in those three weeks are Kessel and Malkin.
I can't really blame the back end because they are a mess and their supposed best player is a shell of himself right now. We could use someone like Guentzel or Sheary or Rust to go on a tear. I think any of those three are capable of such.

Yet the discussion today is about the shootout. OK, LLS I agree about your earlier response that the shootout is basically an extension of practice. Everyone talks about trusting Sullivan so when he sends Malkin out there for the first round and people bitch when he doesn't score then they are really questioning Sullivan.
Malkin isn't good on the SO IMO because taller, longer players can't break down as quickly as a smaller player. Malkin would be better served just pulling up fifteen feet from the net and firing his rocket of a slap shot at the net.

But the Pens problems aren't on the shootout they are more serious. The aforementioned lack of secondary scoring being one and the other is OZ possession time along with shotty defensive play in their own end.
Has anyone else noticed that teams are killing us on the back side/weak side of the defensive zone?
The puck is on one boards were the Pens are battling. Everyone is concentrating on that with their backs turned from the weakside. The opposition waits and sends a forward or defense man late through the crease in the weakside and they find themselves alone with an avenue to the goal and defenders reacting late or failing to turn in time.
I have seen that too much the past three weeks.

I'm beginning to think this team is taking it easy early because they know the season is a marathon and not a race. Though I find it interesting that with their scoring woes this season(27th in the league) that they drop 4 goals twice on Nashville which is one of the best teams defensively. Tells me the Pens can get to the level to compete and win when they feel motivated to.
If true it has to be driving Sully fucking nuts.

Anyway, it is Steeler Sunday-Go Steelers!