It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Predators 11-11-17
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:13 am 

Kessel isn’t particularly good at shootouts.

Looked up stats, and these are a little old, but Letang was 37% lifetime vs Kessel’s 29%. Hard to ignore that discrepancy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:54 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:

Looked up stats, and these are a little old, but Letang was 37% lifetime vs Kessel’s 29%. Hard to ignore that discrepancy.

Overall those numbers are true but kessels shootout numbers have been improving. Plus are you going to discount that kessel has been the best and hardest working guy the past 10 games? That should carry some weight...much more than a guy who has been a mess this entire season.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:36 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:

Overall those numbers are true but kessels shootout numbers have been improving. Plus are you going to discount that kessel has been the best and hardest working guy the past 10 games? That should carry some weight...much more than a guy who has been a mess this entire season.

Eh. Shootouts are one of the few things in hockey that are pretty independent from everything else. I personally wouldn't pull a guy off shootout detail because he's struggling in other areas. I feel like his biggest struggles have been with decision making. That doesn't really come into play in a shootout. Shootouts are basically a practice drill, and I'm sure the coaches have seen him be successful at that exact drill in practice over and over again this season.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:21 am 

You are sure of that?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:12 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Happy to get the point but fuck me let Kessel take the SO there, not Letang.

Pens are all over the place. Sully needs to regroup these guys

Right....what the fuck!!

And fuck Nashville!!

I completely agree. In fact, I hate to see Malkin in there anymore. I would love to see what Geuntzel or Rust could do. Hell, they often score on break aways, where Malkin gets stoned. I would like to see Crosby lead off, with Geuntzel or Rust followed by Kessel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:40 am 

alancac98 wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Happy to get the point but fuck me let Kessel take the SO there, not Letang.

Pens are all over the place. Sully needs to regroup these guys

Right....what the fuck!!

And fuck Nashville!!

I completely agree. In fact, I hate to see Malkin in there anymore. I would love to see what Geuntzel or Rust could do. Hell, they often score on break aways, where Malkin gets stoned. I would like to see Crosby lead off, with Geuntzel or Rust followed by Kessel

Yeah....what's Malkin's percentage? He doesn't seem to get it done on breakaways.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 am 

pens just kinda slogging along..hope sully can turn it on in 18...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:27 am 

The Pens battle back from two deficits last night, one being multiple goals and you guys want to harp on about shootouts? Shootouts that rarely happen?

I understand why because it changes the narrative from a guys getting it done to one that doesn't by showing him to be superior in a much less significant category.

Hot dog and Malkin are carrying the offense and have for the past three weeks. On the other hand our best player and one deemed best on the planet(which I also believe) is mired in a deep offensive slump-11 games and counting without a goal. And how many of those games has he gone totally scoreless?

You want to look at one big reason why the Pens are ordinary? Because Crosby isn't getting it done offensively. The guy that led the league in goals last year. The guy who was the heart of the team that won the Cup back to back.
But carry on about how this player or that player sucks in shootouts by all means-that is the Pens real problem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:54 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
You are sure of that?

Sure of what?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:58 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
The Pens battle back from two deficits last night, one being multiple goals and you guys want to harp on about shootouts? Shootouts that rarely happen?

I understand why because it changes the narrative from a guys getting it done to one that doesn't by showing him to be superior in a much less significant category.

Hot dog and Malkin are carrying the offense and have for the past three weeks. On the other hand our best player and one deemed best on the planet(which I also believe) is mired in a deep offensive slump-11 games and counting without a goal. And how many of those games has he gone totally scoreless?

You want to look at one big reason why the Pens are ordinary? Because Crosby isn't getting it done offensively. The guy that led the league in goals last year. The guy who was the heart of the team that won the Cup back to back.
But carry on about how this player or that player sucks in shootouts by all means-that is the Pens real problem.

I just can't get that worked over Crosby right now. He's earned the benefit of the doubt from me and I find it highly unlikely that he doesn't break out of the slump at some point. If it's still an issue three months from now, then yeah, I'll worry.