It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nicasio
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:33 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Trolling? No - I don't troll anybody. A passionate hatred for the system that ruined baseball in Pittsburgh- yes.

Markets of similar size to Pittsburgh continue to flourish in this system. While many of the large market/revenue franchises flounder. It isn't a perfect system but it is not the primary reason for the Pirates troubles. This system has been greatly improved over the last ten years which covers the last two CBAs. And at this point it is not really worse or better than any of the other sports.

"Flourish?" My definition of flourish is to at least win a WS Title. Yours may be different.

I compared the last 10 World Series winners to the Nielsen Television Market Size rankings. Pittsburgh is the 23rd largest market. Kansas City is the only team that is smaller than Pittsburgh from the last 10 WS winners (KC is ranked 33). Chicago (ranked 3), SF (ranked 6), Boston (8), St Louis (21 - and I think as it relates to baseball, they have an amazing pull in that area so even though they are only 21, they may pull like a top ten market), New York (1), and Philadelphia (4).

What has Kansas City done since they won? They have basically been a .500 team.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:37 pm 

bam morris wrote:
bucs get the double wammy...crappy system in mlb and the worst owner in mlb...bad combo and its shown itself on field..dude should be clubbed like a baby seal for what he has done to the once proud franchise.

I agree with this. I am not a fan of the Nut. I am the guy on this site that first called him the Nut several years ago, but you have to acknowledge how fucked up this system is too - unlike most of you on this site.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:38 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Trolling? No - I don't troll anybody. A passionate hatred for the system that ruined baseball in Pittsburgh- yes.

Markets of similar size to Pittsburgh continue to flourish in this system. While many of the large market/revenue franchises flounder. It isn't a perfect system but it is not the primary reason for the Pirates troubles. This system has been greatly improved over the last ten years which covers the last two CBAs. And at this point it is not really worse or better than any of the other sports.

"Flourish?" My definition of flourish is to at least win a WS Title. Yours may be different.

I compared the last 10 World Series winners to the Nielsen Television Market Size rankings. Pittsburgh is the 23rd largest market. Kansas City is the only team that is smaller than Pittsburgh from the last 10 WS winners (KC is ranked 33). Chicago (ranked 3), SF (ranked 6), Boston (8), St Louis (21 - and I think as it relates to baseball, they have an amazing pull in that area so even though they are only 21, they may pull like a top ten market), New York (1), and Philadelphia (4).

What has Kansas City done since they won? They have basically been a .500 team.

Only 1 in 30 teams gets to win a championship in any given year. By your definition the Dodgers aren't even flourishing. So yeah, I think your definition of "flourish" is kind of dumb.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:21 pm 

Yes and it just so happens that the large majority of those 1 in 30 teams happen to be large market rich teams Asshole. Why the hell do you play 162 games and the playoffs- to win a WS title. Flourishing. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:05 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Yes and it just so happens that the large majority of those 1 in 30 teams happen to be large market rich teams Asshole. Why the hell do you play 162 games and the playoffs- to win a WS title. Flourishing. :roll:

Since the large majority of the teams are in large markets some simple math probability should tell you the large markets will win a large majority of the championships asshole. You could radomly select World Series champions out of a hat and you would still be on here bitching about how large market teams are winning all the championships. The Royals went to the World Series in back to back years. The Indians and Rays have made the playoffs greater than the league average over the last 10 years. The Cardinals have doubled the league average. Rays, Rockies, Royals, and Indians have all managed to get to a World Series in that time frame. Which is something the Dodgers haven't done. Which is something the Nationals haven't done. Which is something the White Sox haven't done, which is something Houston hasn't done. Which is something Atlanta hasn't done.