Post subject: Game 131: Pirates at Reds
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:03 am 

At Great American Park
Game time: 1:10 PM ET
Probable starters:
PIT: Jameson Taillon (7-5 4.85 ERA)
CIN: Tyler Mahle (0-0, -.-- ERA)

Quote:
After all Pirates right-hander Jameson "J-Mo" Taillon has already endured, a handful of rough starts doesn't seem like much to overcome.

Taillon (7-5, 4.85 ERA) will square off against Reds prospect Tyler Mahle, who will make his Major League debut, in Sunday's series finale at Great American Ball Park.

Taillon will wear a jersey with "J-Mo" on the back above his number 50 as part of Players Weekend. After he was diagnosed with testicular cancer in May, the Pirates donned wristbands with the hashtag #JamoStrong for their friend and teammate.

Taillon is coming off a rough outing against the Dodgers on Tuesday, allowing five hits, five walks, and five runs in five innings. Over his last six starts, Taillon's ERA is 9.64.
The 25-year-old has worked a combined 116 innings this season and Sunday will mark his 23rd start, including two in the Minors. He returned to pitching in 2016 after missing the 2014 and '15 seasons (Tommy John surgery and a sports hernia) and underwent testicular cancer surgery on May 8 this season.

Taillon and all other players will wear special edition jerseys as part of the inaugural Players Weekend. Game-worn jerseys will be auctioned at MLB.com/auctions with 100 percent of the net proceeds donated to the MLB-MLBPA Youth Development Foundation.

Mahle is ranked as the Reds' No. 4 prospect by MLBPipeline.com. The 22-year-old right-hander has a 2.06 ERA between Double-A Pensacola and Triple-A Louisville this season, and a combined 2.85 ERA in 105 career Minor League games. He has allowed more than three earned runs only once in 24 starts this season. Mahle gained a significant amount of notoriety this season when he threw a perfect game on April 22 for Pensacola, a 1-0 win at Mobile.

"I found out [about the promotion] by accident," Mahle said. "I'm as excited as I've ever been. It was a big surprise to me. I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

Mahle's catcher will be Chad Wallach, who will also be making his MLB debut. Wallach's father, Tim, currently serves as Marlins bench coach and played in the Majors for 18 seasons with the Expos, Dodgers and Angels from 1980-96.

Three things to know about this game

• The nine active Reds who have faced Taillon have a combined .343 average against him. That group includes Jose "Miguelangel" Peraza (8-for-10, .800), Adam "Duvy" Duvall (6-for-14, .429, 2HR), Scooter "Ryan" Gennett (6-for-16. .375) and Billy "Bone" Hamilton (4-for-11, .364, 2 HR). But, he is one of the few pitchers who have experienced any degree of success against Joey "Tokki 2" Votto (3-for-13, .231).

• The Bucs are in a stretch of 28 consecutive games against NL Central opponents that extends through Sept. 24.

• Mahle will be the 16th rookie pitcher used by the Reds this season. Rookies started each of the club's last 64 regular-season games in 2016.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/201708262 ... _pk=492047

#GONUTTINGSWALLET

Post subject: Re: Game 131: Pirates at Reds
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:02 pm 

We had 'em all the way!