It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Sens ECF Game 3
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:24 pm 

Here's how I make the tender decision if I'm Sully:

"Matt, you healthy?"

"Yeah coach"

"You're in net"

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:27 pm 

Bling Collector Ben wrote:
Last year in the East finals Murray had a bad night in game #4 as I recall. MAF was brought in for the 3rd period. The Pens rally fell just short with MAF playing well to mop up that game. MAF was inserted for game #5 and the Pens lost going down 2-3 in the series. When the season was on the line Sully trusted Murray and the rest is history. I think Sully's guy is Murray. I think that's why they signed Murray longer term earlier this season.

The case for MAF
1. He's been highly effective except for brief instances (1 game vs. Columbus, 1 game vs. Washington, 1 game vs. Ottawa).
2. This team is golfing today if MAF doesn't stand on his head at other times in the playoffs.
3. If you sit MAF for game #4, absent another injury to Murray, MAF is as good as gonzo.
4. If Murray stinks in game #4, how does Sully sell going back to MAF for game #5 (when he didn't trust him in game #4) Murray could be inserted for game #5 as a desperation move to rally the troops who still could win three games consecutively (two of those on home ice)?

The case for Murray
1. If he's Sully's guy, and Sully's gut says Murray is the better choice now, Sully must trust his gut. Sully is 6-0 in playoff series to date.
2. Murray is fully rested and would present a different look to Ottawa.
3. Murray, if successful in leading the Pens to a series win, would finally claim the net as his own.
4. If you start MAF, and lose a close, low-scoring game, what justification do you have to start Murray in game #5?

I think Sully goes with Murray, hoping at most Murray only has one bad game the rest of the way.

BTW, FWIW, the Pens need to start crashing the net. They don't have enough traffic in front of Anderson to screen him or to knock in the rebounds. Where did they score in game #1 -- Geno in front of the net on a change of direction shot. Where did they score in game #3 -- Sid in front of the net on a 5-holer. The Pens must impose their will by going to the net -- the time is now!

That is why Hornqvist has been their biggest loss. He really is their only net front presence.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:15 pm 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
Here's how I make the tender decision if I'm Sully:

"Matt, you healthy?"

"Yeah coach"

"You're in net"

that's exactly what happened and that's why we won game 4

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15