It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ovie McGrady trade talk
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 3441
Can't say I disagree. Some team like the Red Wings or the Kings would give up a lot for him right now.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ovie McGrady trade talk
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 944
I say there's a 0.2% chance that Ovie gets traded.

LA still has much of their core in tact from a team that has won 2 cups in the last 5 years, and they would need to gut that plus mortgage the future to bring Ovie in.
Detroit is riddled with expensive contracts and aged players. They are far away from being one piece away from a cup, and they'd be better off starting a full-scale rebuild.

For the rest of the league, there are a ton of young, cheaper free agent wingers on the market. Why pay a king's ransom for Ovechkin when you can go after one (or more) of these players:
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2018/

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ovie McGrady trade talk
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:34 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 1861
Maybe the best thing for all parties would be for Ovie to go home and play in the KHL. The money would be the same and the Caps clear a lot of salary and still have a formidable team.

_________________
Black holes have no hair.
https://twitter.com/sinceflyerscup?lang=en


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ovie McGrady trade talk
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 944
fractalsteel wrote:
Maybe the best thing for all parties would be for Ovie to go home and play in the KHL. The money would be the same and the Caps clear a lot of salary and still have a formidable team.

I like dealing with numbers, so bear with me......

Ilya Kovalchuk is a hot topic right now, so I did a bit of research. Back in 2013, he left for the KHL and was expected to make somewhere between $15-$20 million/year. The exchange rate between the Dollar and Ruble at that point was .031 Ruble to $1, meaning Ilya's contract was somewhere in the 500m Ruble/year range.

Unfortunately for him, the ruble collapsed against the dollar in 2014, and the exchange rate is now around .0175/$1. So.....the total value for Ilya's NHL contract between 2013-17 would have been $46 million, and his KHL contract paid him somewhere around 2 Billion Ruble. Currently, those 2 Billion Rubles are valued at $35 million, meaning Kovalchuk lost $11 million by playing in Russia. Unless, of course, he had some sort of hedge in his contract that valued his pay against what he would have made in the US.


Sorry to diverge from the topic, but I thought that was interesting.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ovie McGrady trade talk
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:35 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 1861
Pabst wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Maybe the best thing for all parties would be for Ovie to go home and play in the KHL. The money would be the same and the Caps clear a lot of salary and still have a formidable team.

I like dealing with numbers, so bear with me......

Ilya Kovalchuk is a hot topic right now, so I did a bit of research. Back in 2013, he left for the KHL and was expected to make somewhere between $15-$20 million/year. The exchange rate between the Dollar and Ruble at that point was .031 Ruble to $1, meaning Ilya's contract was somewhere in the 500m Ruble/year range.

Unfortunately for him, the ruble collapsed against the dollar in 2014, and the exchange rate is now around .0175/$1. So.....the total value for Ilya's NHL contract between 2013-17 would have been $46 million, and his KHL contract paid him somewhere around 2 Billion Ruble. Currently, those 2 Billion Rubles are valued at $35 million, meaning Kovalchuk lost $11 million by playing in Russia. Unless, of course, he had some sort of hedge in his contract that valued his pay against what he would have made in the US.


Sorry to diverge from the topic, but I thought that was interesting.


Great points and I never considered this angle.

_________________
Black holes have no hair.
https://twitter.com/sinceflyerscup?lang=en


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ovie McGrady trade talk
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 5916
And he has to fly on Russian airplanes, which are fucking death traps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ovie McGrady trade talk
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 3165
Pabst wrote:
I say there's a 0.2% chance that Ovie gets traded.

LA still has much of their core in tact from a team that has won 2 cups in the last 5 years, and they would need to gut that plus mortgage the future to bring Ovie in.
Detroit is riddled with expensive contracts and aged players. They are far away from being one piece away from a cup, and they'd be better off starting a full-scale rebuild.

For the rest of the league, there are a ton of young, cheaper free agent wingers on the market. Why pay a king's ransom for Ovechkin when you can go after one (or more) of these players:
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2018/

Great post. And he is 32 as well with 4 more years on his deal I believe? Agree with you-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ovie McGrady trade talk
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 3227
Pabst wrote:
I say there's a 0.2% chance that Ovie gets traded.

LA still has much of their core in tact from a team that has won 2 cups in the last 5 years, and they would need to gut that plus mortgage the future to bring Ovie in.
Detroit is riddled with expensive contracts and aged players. They are far away from being one piece away from a cup, and they'd be better off starting a full-scale rebuild.

For the rest of the league, there are a ton of young, cheaper free agent wingers on the market. Why pay a king's ransom for Ovechkin when you can go after one (or more) of these players:
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2018/


LA has ZERO cap room and they have like 3 atrocious contracts- no way Wash would take any of them back


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Steel Drummer and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group