It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ovie McGrady trade talk
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am 

Can't say I disagree. Some team like the Red Wings or the Kings would give up a lot for him right now.

Post subject: Re: Ovie McGrady trade talk
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:43 pm 

I say there's a 0.2% chance that Ovie gets traded.

LA still has much of their core in tact from a team that has won 2 cups in the last 5 years, and they would need to gut that plus mortgage the future to bring Ovie in.
Detroit is riddled with expensive contracts and aged players. They are far away from being one piece away from a cup, and they'd be better off starting a full-scale rebuild.

For the rest of the league, there are a ton of young, cheaper free agent wingers on the market. Why pay a king's ransom for Ovechkin when you can go after one (or more) of these players:
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2018/

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:34 pm 

Maybe the best thing for all parties would be for Ovie to go home and play in the KHL. The money would be the same and the Caps clear a lot of salary and still have a formidable team.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:42 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Maybe the best thing for all parties would be for Ovie to go home and play in the KHL. The money would be the same and the Caps clear a lot of salary and still have a formidable team.

I like dealing with numbers, so bear with me......

Ilya Kovalchuk is a hot topic right now, so I did a bit of research. Back in 2013, he left for the KHL and was expected to make somewhere between $15-$20 million/year. The exchange rate between the Dollar and Ruble at that point was .031 Ruble to $1, meaning Ilya's contract was somewhere in the 500m Ruble/year range.

Unfortunately for him, the ruble collapsed against the dollar in 2014, and the exchange rate is now around .0175/$1. So.....the total value for Ilya's NHL contract between 2013-17 would have been $46 million, and his KHL contract paid him somewhere around 2 Billion Ruble. Currently, those 2 Billion Rubles are valued at $35 million, meaning Kovalchuk lost $11 million by playing in Russia. Unless, of course, he had some sort of hedge in his contract that valued his pay against what he would have made in the US.

Sorry to diverge from the topic, but I thought that was interesting.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:35 pm 

Pabst wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

I like dealing with numbers, so bear with me......

Ilya Kovalchuk is a hot topic right now, so I did a bit of research. Back in 2013, he left for the KHL and was expected to make somewhere between $15-$20 million/year. The exchange rate between the Dollar and Ruble at that point was .031 Ruble to $1, meaning Ilya's contract was somewhere in the 500m Ruble/year range.

Unfortunately for him, the ruble collapsed against the dollar in 2014, and the exchange rate is now around .0175/$1. So.....the total value for Ilya's NHL contract between 2013-17 would have been $46 million, and his KHL contract paid him somewhere around 2 Billion Ruble. Currently, those 2 Billion Rubles are valued at $35 million, meaning Kovalchuk lost $11 million by playing in Russia. Unless, of course, he had some sort of hedge in his contract that valued his pay against what he would have made in the US.

Sorry to diverge from the topic, but I thought that was interesting.

Great points and I never considered this angle.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:26 pm 

And he has to fly on Russian airplanes, which are fucking death traps.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:00 am 

Pabst wrote:

LA still has much of their core in tact from a team that has won 2 cups in the last 5 years, and they would need to gut that plus mortgage the future to bring Ovie in.
Detroit is riddled with expensive contracts and aged players. They are far away from being one piece away from a cup, and they'd be better off starting a full-scale rebuild.

For the rest of the league, there are a ton of young, cheaper free agent wingers on the market. Why pay a king's ransom for Ovechkin when you can go after one (or more) of these players:

Great post. And he is 32 as well with 4 more years on his deal I believe? Agree with you-

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:15 am 

Pabst wrote:

LA has ZERO cap room and they have like 3 atrocious contracts- no way Wash would take any of them back