It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 6 5-8-17
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:23 am 

Jeemie wrote:
No defense.

It's been the story of the 2017 playoffs, and the Capitals are a better team this year than last, so they can expose it over and over.

Sullivan's been playing with smoke and mirrors. Last year he could do it with slightly subpar players with his scheme because he had Letang running the show on D, and that made the mediocre defensemen slightly better.

This year- no Letang, Dumo is beat up, Daley is beat up, Shcultz makes mistakes, and the rest, except for Ian Cole, suck shit.

Sullivan's made some mistakes (breaking up Sid and Guentzel, resurrecting HBK at the wrong time), but think about how we built up that 3-1 series lead. We exploited a weakness in the middle of the Caps' defense in short bursts and capitalized every time we did so. Other than those few times we scored in quick bursts, the play has looked much like it did last night, only with less energy with each successive night. And once the middle stuff dried up, we had no answer.

I hope we can find some energy though, so if we go out, we go out swinging.

I think I said something about the defense being made from a foundation of sand. It was only a matter of time before the waves eroded it. And when it goes, it looks ugly. The Caps forwards are world-class.

I mean seriously look at the D corps we throw out there. Include a washed up Daley if you want, but it's a bunch of # 3-6 guys who are asked to play above their heads night after night. Actually pretty amazing they lasted this long. This is why guys like Malkin/Hags/Sid/Bones who are all at 100% are so valuable because they cover up the defense's mistakes when they're going. Well those guys are likely hurting and/or underperforming and this is what you get.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:39 am 

JJT wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
No defense.

It's been the story of the 2017 playoffs, and the Capitals are a better team this year than last, so they can expose it over and over.

Sullivan's been playing with smoke and mirrors. Last year he could do it with slightly subpar players with his scheme because he had Letang running the show on D, and that made the mediocre defensemen slightly better.

This year- no Letang, Dumo is beat up, Daley is beat up, Shcultz makes mistakes, and the rest, except for Ian Cole, suck shit.

Sullivan's made some mistakes (breaking up Sid and Guentzel, resurrecting HBK at the wrong time), but think about how we built up that 3-1 series lead. We exploited a weakness in the middle of the Caps' defense in short bursts and capitalized every time we did so. Other than those few times we scored in quick bursts, the play has looked much like it did last night, only with less energy with each successive night. And once the middle stuff dried up, we had no answer.

That's where I am at this point. These guys aren't winning game 7 in Washington, but hopefully they go out swinging and it's not another 5-0 blowout with a couple bullshit time goals at the end.

Why not, this is just the kind of game the Caps usually lose? I doubt the game is as bad, rarely do you see tem play that bad in consecutive games, I predict a 2-1 or 3-2, maybe OT. It's the same players then won 3 of 4 a week ago. If Pens can score 1st, it might get in their heads?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:06 am 

Nick79 wrote:
JJT wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
No defense.

That's where I am at this point. These guys aren't winning game 7 in Washington, but hopefully they go out swinging and it's not another 5-0 blowout with a couple bullshit time goals at the end.

Why not, this is just the kind of game the Caps usually lose? I doubt the game is as bad, rarely do you see tem play that bad in consecutive games, I predict a 2-1 or 3-2, maybe OT. It's the same players then won 3 of 4 a week ago. If Pens can score 1st, it might get in their heads?

Hope you are right dude. I don't see it happening, but who knows. I just can't take another beat down.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:12 am 

The only thing I am more confident in than the fact that the Pens are tired and beat up is that the Caps will collapse when things get tight.

Malkin guaranteed a win which doesnt seem smart, but this is the kind of game the Caps usually lose.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:48 am 

fortythree wrote:
The only thing I am more confident in than the fact that the Pens are tired and beat up is that the Caps will collapse when things get tight.

Malkin guaranteed a win which doesnt seem smart, but this is the kind of game the Caps usually lose.

Did Malkin really guarantee a win? He just said it isn't a foregone conclusion they are going to lose and if they play together they will win. Said something like it's a 50:50 chance.

I didn't see the win guarantee, but might have missed it.

If he did, good for him, they need something to fire them up.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:58 am 

I can't help but think that the entire momentum or dynamic of the series changed with the Crosby hit. I sincerely believe had that not happened, they would have already advanced winning in five or six at most.

They are playing scared. Now the caps are in the pens heads. They are playing sloppy, slow, and timid.

I stopped watching after goal 4. Not looking good, fellas. I don't expect a blow out, but it's a toss up in my mind as to who wins.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:58 am 

One good thing, in this series the Pens have played better in DC. Why, who knows but they have.
This team faced elimination twice last year and fought through, maybe three times is a charm.
Lot of good thoughts/posts as to the problems.

Fleury until the last two games has played better than we thought he would. We need that Fleury back tomorrow night. Can't get down early.

I'm tired of seeing the D men digging the puck out in their own end only to chip it a few feet in either direction. They should be sending up the boards. The forwards will have to be there to battle and if there is support getting it out of their own end will be easier.
The way it stands now, they chip it barely to the corner, the forwards have to come in deep and then it takes three sloppy passes to exit the zone. By then the shift is 2/3 done and they are looking to get off the ice and the puck is at mid ice.

Don't get me started on the lack of a fore check. It hasn't been there much this series.

Lastly, credit the Caps. That is a great team and after they went after Crosby in game 3 they turned it up a notch. Almost like the assault by Ovie on Crosby sparked his team.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:04 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
One good thing, in this series the Pens have played better in DC. Why, who knows but they have.
This team faced elimination twice last year and fought through, maybe three times is a charm.
Lot of good thoughts/posts as to the problems.

Fleury until the last two games has played better than we thought he would. We need that Fleury back tomorrow night. Can't get down early.

I'm tired of seeing the D men digging the puck out in their own end only to chip it a few feet in either direction. They should be sending up the boards. The forwards will have to be there to battle and if there is support getting it out of their own end will be easier.
The way it stands now, they chip it barely to the corner, the forwards have to come in deep and then it takes three sloppy passes to exit the zone. By then the shift is 2/3 done and they are looking to get off the ice and the puck is at mid ice.

Don't get me started on the lack of a fore check. It hasn't been there much this series.

Lastly, credit the Caps. That is a great team and after they went after Crosby in game 3 they turned it up a notch. Almost like the assault by Ovie on Crosby sparked his team.

But even after the assault we beat then without Sid. They have played better in Washington, in some ways it would be awesome to watch them lose one home ice after being so close. I just don't see it happening.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:24 pm 

Niskanen is still a cheap pole smoking bitch; I wish him nothing but future injuries and misery. Oh, and a few years from now the only thing he will be remembered for is throwing a cheap shot on Crosby, nothing more.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:10 pm 

Can't remember any Pittsburgh sports team going into a deciding game (including the Steelers vs. Patriots debacles), where the epitaph is being written so decidedly pre-game. And I understand it. Caps fire 35 shot in 1st period of game #1 and lose. Caps outshoot Pens 38-18 in Game #2...and lose. Even in losing, they've been fuckin' relentless.

Penguins shot-blocking ability (or commitment) seems to have decreased, they've been sieves defensively the past four periods, and I think the goalie has exhausted his full cache of standing on his head.

Looking at it objectively, don't see how the Penguins can win. But hockey, more than any other sport, seems to be ruled by desire. These fuckers have to will themselves to win tomorrow night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next