It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 5 5-6-17
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:24 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
JJT wrote:
I said I was done posting, but have to respond one final time.

The Caps have outplayed the Pens every game, with or without Sid. Fleury has been the difference. This team cannot rely on Fleury to win a series against the Capitals.

At some point the other players need to step up and dominate a game. Hasn't happened in 5 games so far, isn't going to happen now.

Hope I am wrong.

I agree with you that Fleury is the key to this team winning. I think he has to stand on his head 16 times to win the cup. It was his worst game of the playoffs last night. Saying that, we have to play much better D, not just our defensemen.

Any news on Daley? Was he hurt last night? We need him at the top of his game. I would like to see Streit in the lineup as I think we need more speed and offense back there.

The man still made 32 saves......10 more than Holtby who everyone is saying played so well.

The problem is that Fleury can't just be good, he has to be inhuman to win. The only game we outplayed them was game 2, other than that they have lived in our zone the entire series and really dominated us.

The team is better than this, it is frustrating to watch sometimes. When are we going to come out and take it to them for an entire game. We were 20 min away from closing out the series and got fucking destroyed for said 20 minutes.

Sullivan cancelled practice today? Giving the guys a rest? He must think fatigue is the problem, we will find out tomorrow if he is right.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:50 am 

JJT wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
JJT wrote:
I said I was done posting, but have to respond one final time.

The Caps have outplayed the Pens every game, with or without Sid. Fleury has been the difference. This team cannot rely on Fleury to win a series against the Capitals.

At some point the other players need to step up and dominate a game. Hasn't happened in 5 games so far, isn't going to happen now.

Hope I am wrong.

I agree with you that Fleury is the key to this team winning. I think he has to stand on his head 16 times to win the cup. It was his worst game of the playoffs last night. Saying that, we have to play much better D, not just our defensemen.

Any news on Daley? Was he hurt last night? We need him at the top of his game. I would like to see Streit in the lineup as I think we need more speed and offense back there.

The man still made 32 saves......10 more than Holtby who everyone is saying played so well.

The problem is that Fleury can't just be good, he has to be inhuman to win. The only game we outplayed them was game 2, other than that they have lived in our zone the entire series and really dominated us.

The team is better than this, it is frustrating to watch sometimes. When are we going to come out and take it to them for an entire game. We were 20 min away from closing out the series and got fucking destroyed for said 20 minutes.

Sullivan cancelled practice today? Giving the guys a rest? He must think fatigue is the problem, we will find out tomorrow if he is right.

Nobody said Holtby is playing well. They said he showed up strong for a few minutes in the third period at the same time Fleury hiccuped.

And you must have been watching a different game last night. The Pens must still clean up the slop, but played better yesterday and got more chances in their zone than in the previous three games.

There was about 7-10 minutes in the third, unfortunately, where the Caps took it to the Pens. Other than that, it was much better.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:35 am 

I thought the Pens played well for the first two periods as well, and had Holtby not came up with some big ones, would have led by more than one goal. Sucked giving up a goal in final minute of first period.

Really thought we were closing it out going into the 3rd. Caps can be fuckin' relentless though...all their goals were fuckin' snipes, no rebounds, etc.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:43 am 

I said this to my wife last night...

Pens are taking a beating. Caps are chippy as fuck...however you look at it, that's not good for this series, & if we advance further. Bumps & bruises are going to start showing late in games more and more. If we win in Pittsburgh, let's hope NY goes 7.

We need rest.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:53 am 

VanWilder wrote:

Pens are taking a beating. Caps are chippy as fuck...however you look at it, that's not good for this series, & if we advance further. Bumps & bruises are going to start showing late in games more and more. If we win in Pittsburgh, let's hope NY goes 7.

We need rest.

Maybe that's the thought behind cancelling practice. It is funny though how we all watch the same game and see thing differently.

Although, I do agree with the comment that we played well for 2 periods. Really only took a beating in the third which sucked because we were so close to closing this out.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:10 pm 

VanWilder wrote:

We need rest.
I was thinking the same thing. The pens have not matched the physicality of the caps for the entire series. they are getting beat up, and it is taking its toll as each game wears on and as the series progresses.

They either need to find another gear or start getting more violent with the forechecking in their own zone.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:35 pm 

One thing we have learned about this team under Sullivan is that they are not good at finishing the initial elimination game in a series. This is what, four series now where they had the kill shot and had to go an extra game. Thankfully they have found a way after such to get it done.
I think they get it done tomorrow.

The team is tired. Last year they had periods of games where they looked fatigued but their depth got them through that. This year the barrel isn't as full.
And all the hitting is taking a toll.

I thought Crosby looked OK last night. Nothing special but the way the Caps are allowed to pound him without recourse is telling. He knocks a few in tomorrow night.

Malkin most definitely had his head screwed on wrong last night. First game this playoffs where his defense was terrible. He is winning his share of face offs but he isn't shooting enough. Word is that he hurt the shoulder at the beginning of this series so maybe that has something to do with it.

I don't know how anyone can be upset with Fleury's play. He is a big reason why we are where we are. I'd put him and Rinne at the top of the playoff MVP's at this point.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 pm 

One thing is for sure, I don't know if he is hurt or not, but Malkin needs to pick it up.

And if we are tired and beat up now, how can than they possibly make a run at another cup? Still 2 series to go.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
The team is tired. Last year they had periods of games where they looked fatigued but their depth got them through that. This year the barrel isn't as full.
And all the hitting is taking a toll.

You have to remember they had that run last year too- 24 playoff games- note that this year, San Jose went out in the fist round.

The grind of the playoffs is why it is so hard to repeat as champion.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:53 pm 

JJT wrote:
One thing is for sure, I don't know if he is hurt or not, but Malkin needs to pick it up.

And if we are tired and beat up now, how can than they possibly make a run at another cup? Still 2 series to go.

As I just said...you just pointed out why it is so hard to repeat in the NHL.

One series at a time...one game at a time.

Don't think about repeating...just think about enduring and getting through it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next