It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stupid Thing About Hockey...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 pm 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
An amazing end to this thread would be Nick poasting:

Thanks for the education, fellas. Those are great points I had not considered or otherwise was not aware of. I do now understand why NHL players don't wear full face protection.

Winner

Chicken on the hill.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:39 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
And how many goals might he have missed during the season due to a foggy shield, or because a wire on a cage got in the way as he was attempting a one-timer?

The difference is probably equal to the chance of getting hit in the mouth with a puck.

Do you think NFL WRs would catch a larger % of the balls thrown to them if they didn't have facemasks?

See now, you opened this thread by stating up front you expect to be called names and cursed up and down for asking the question.

You asked a sensible question and were given sensible answers by people who know way more about hockey than you do (you admit yourself you don't know much about it, which is fine).

A sensible person would say "Yeah, I guess that makes sense", and that'd be end of it.

Sensible question gets sensible answers and results in sensible conversation.

Instead, you're going to continue to press on by asserting bad concepts about a topic you admit you know nothing about until this thread inevitably deteriorates into a steaming pile of trash, as your threads tend to do.

So yes, as you originally stated, this thread is likely to end in people calling you names. But understand that when it does, it's not going to be because you asked the question in the first place. It's going to be because you refuse to accept that more knowledgeable people have debunked your theory and move on.

I work with people like this. I want to murder every single one of them :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:42 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
And how many goals might he have missed during the season due to a foggy shield, or because a wire on a cage got in the way as he was attempting a one-timer?

The difference is probably equal to the chance of getting hit in the mouth with a puck.

Do you think NFL WRs would catch a larger % of the balls thrown to them if they didn't have facemasks?

See now, you opened this thread by stating up front you expect to be called names and cursed up and down for asking the question.

You asked a sensible question and were given sensible answers by people who know way more about hockey than you do (you admit yourself you don't know much about it, which is fine).

A sensible person would say "Yeah, I guess that makes sense", and that'd be end of it.

Sensible question gets sensible answers and results in sensible conversation.

Instead, you're going to continue to press on by asserting bad concepts about a topic you admit you know nothing about until this thread inevitably deteriorates into a steaming pile of trash, as your threads tend to do.

So yes, as you originally stated, this thread is likely to end in people calling you names. But understand that when it does, it's not going to be because you asked the question in the first place. It's going to be because you refuse to accept that more knowledgeable people have debunked your theory and move on.

It's not exactly stupid to wonder if they should wear face masks, is the quality of college hockey diminished because they wear masks? Anyways, if they're willing to all lose their teeth and get their faces jacked up, fine, hopefully we don't lose an important player again. and yes it makes sense from a performance point of view, I guess. I'd wonder how many games are lost on the injury list over these type of injuries every year? But no, it really isn't a stupid question and I won't be surprised if within a number of years they decide to wear masks anyways as people get less tough or more smart, lol.

Those are great points I had not considered or otherwise was not aware of. I do now understand why NHL players don't wear full face protection. But I think there are also plenty of good reasons to wear face protection. One being time lost to injury that wouldn't have happened with face protection, but if they are ok with accepting the brutal, preventable shots to the mouth, I am too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:56 pm 

Dude.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:05 pm 

I can't relate to hockey as a player, I never played, never wore a hockey mask, never even skated. But I've seen that NCAA hockey players all wear these cage masks and appear to be able to play the game, so it's totally legit to wonder why the pros don't. So don't make it out to be like it's a stupid question to ask. IT CLEARLY ISN'T.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:18 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
I can't relate to hockey as a player, I never played, never wore a hockey mask, never even skated. But I've seen that NCAA hockey players all wear these cage masks and appear to be able to play the game, so it's totally legit to wonder why the pros don't. So don't make it out to be like it's a stupid question to ask. IT CLEARLY ISN'T.

I said in plain english in my post that it wasn't a stupid question.

What is stupid you continually trying to push points that people who are more knowledgeable than you have already debunked.

You asked why college players wear facemasks. We responded that they're required to wear them and NHL guys aren't, and don't, because they're too obtrusive.

Yet, here you are, still babbling on about college guys wearing facemasks, which is completely pointless since it doesn't support your argument at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:27 pm 

Yet, here you are, still babbling on about college guys wearing facemasks, which is completely pointless since it doesn't support your argument at all.

All it supports is the argument that hockey at a pretty high level is played with facemasks, nothing more. But with a choice, maybe the college guys wouldn't wear them either, is what I am gathering from the discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:09 am 

Let's see more blood on the ice.....Paul Newman would be proud!!

The Crosby injury is in this clip as well

Go to 2:50 on this old vid if you want to see Roenick get his jaw shattered

Just about all of these incidents are from point shots

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:27 am 

Quote:
Just about all of these incidents are from point shots

Partly because the guys getting hit can't see the puck through the mass of bodies and sticks. Frankly I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:03 pm 

ive always wondered why they insist on a black puck..why not hunter orange or green..shows up better for players and crowd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next