It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stupid Thing About Hockey...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:15 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Y-Town Steel wrote:
What about using foam pucks?? Shots from the point and long passes would probably not work but I bet you would have some wicked knuckle-puck action...

On the other side of the spectrum they could use depleted uranium. That would cut the life spans of NHL players down a good bit.

Interesting and helps solve the depleted uranium disposal problem (recycle), but I feel like it would still be a hard puck.

Perhaps combine that with a tiny detonator in the center of the puck and have a guy with a quick trigger finger - like the guy who times 40 yd dashes - detonate if it's heading towards a players face?

K.I.S.S.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:23 am 

Nick79 wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
The great thing about sports is that you risk getting hurt. That's the allure, no? If it were so safe, anybody would do it.

NO, Really? No, that was never the allure about sports to me, I never thought of that as something that makes it better or more interesting.

I get it, it's rare, but remember Crosby took one in the mouth and missed about 30 games? What if that happened tonight? And it sank the Penguins for the year? When a facemask would of made it just a stinger that went away in a few minutes and he went right back in the game?

That's where I was coming from with my opinion.

And how many goals might he have missed during the season due to a foggy shield, or because a wire on a cage got in the way as he was attempting a one-timer?

These guys can skate at nearly 30 miles per hour and in the process need to track a puck that's only 3x1 inches. Even the most minute hindrance on their vision can make a big difference in their game.

They've clearly made their choice on what they think is more important. I'm going to trust their opinions on that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:13 am 

I didn't write what was quoted.

FAKE NEWS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:47 am 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Y-Town Steel wrote:
What about using foam pucks?? Shots from the point and long passes would probably not work but I bet you would have some wicked knuckle-puck action...

On the other side of the spectrum they could use depleted uranium. That would cut the life spans of NHL players down a good bit.

Interesting and helps solve the depleted uranium disposal problem (recycle), but I feel like it would still be a hard puck.

Perhaps combine that with a tiny detonator in the center of the puck and have a guy with a quick trigger finger - like the guy who times 40 yd dashes - detonate if it's heading towards a players face?

K.I.S.S.

That works.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:47 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
And how many goals might he have missed during the season due to a foggy shield, or because a wire on a cage got in the way as he was attempting a one-timer?

The difference is probably equal to the chance of getting hit in the mouth with a puck.

Do you think NFL WRs would catch a larger % of the balls thrown to them if they didn't have facemasks?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:53 pm 

Nick79 wrote:

The difference is probably equal to the chance of getting hit in the mouth with a puck.

Do you think NFL WRs would catch a larger % of the balls thrown to them if they didn't have facemasks?

The size of a puck vs that of a football is a contributing factor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:59 pm 

Nick79 wrote:

An NFL football is 11 inches long and has a max circumference of 28 inches. The fastest throw ever recorded at the NFL combine was 60 MPH.

An NHL puck is 1 inch thick and has a circumference of ~7 inches. NHL slapshots are routinely recorded in excess of 100 MPH.

So....yeah. Not a good comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:16 pm 

An amazing end to this thread would be Nick poasting:

Thanks for the education, fellas. Those are great points I had not considered or otherwise was not aware of. I do now understand why NHL players don't wear full face protection.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:33 pm 

Nick79 wrote:

See now, you opened this thread by stating up front you expect to be called names and cursed up and down for asking the question.

You asked a sensible question and were given sensible answers by people who know way more about hockey than you do (you admit yourself you don't know much about it, which is fine).

A sensible person would say "Yeah, I guess that makes sense", and that'd be end of it.

Sensible question gets sensible answers and results in sensible conversation.

Instead, you're going to continue to press on by asserting bad concepts about a topic you admit you know nothing about until this thread inevitably deteriorates into a steaming pile of trash, as your threads tend to do.

So yes, as you originally stated, this thread is likely to end in people calling you names. But understand that when it does, it's not going to be because you asked the question in the first place. It's going to be because you refuse to accept that more knowledgeable people have debunked your theory and move on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:43 pm 

Nick79 wrote:

See now, you opened this thread by stating up front you expect to be called names and cursed up and down for asking the question.

You asked a sensible question and were given sensible answers by people who know way more about hockey than you do (you admit yourself you don't know much about it, which is fine).

A sensible person would say "Yeah, I guess that makes sense", and that'd be end of it.

Sensible question gets sensible answers and results in sensible conversation.

Instead, you're going to continue to press on by asserting bad concepts about a topic you admit you know nothing about until this thread inevitably deteriorates into a steaming pile of trash, as your threads tend to do.

So yes, as you originally stated, this thread is likely to end in people calling you names. But understand that when it does, it's not going to be because you asked the question in the first place. It's going to be because you refuse to accept that more knowledgeable people have debunked your theory and move on.

Ahh yes...the world according to Nick79... :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next