It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stupid Thing About Hockey...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:57 pm 

What about using foam pucks?? Shots from the point and long passes would probably not work but I bet you would have some wicked knuckle-puck action...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:08 pm 

Like I said they can do what they want, but it just seems stupid to have to deal with an injury like that, when it's 100% preventable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:27 pm 

interesting..i always wondered same. its really crazy that not too long ago they wore no helmets. I kinda liked that..but damn that seems crazy. remember well the guys hair blowing in the wind. easy to tell who from who..
does seem odd a safer helmet the players liked cant be found.
my odd hockey thought? why don't they play up the helmets like pro football and base ball? have cool logo or designs instead of the bland stickers they use. I think a pen helmet with elements of steelers helmet with pen emblem on side be cool!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:21 pm 

I think the NHL also likes when fans can see the faces of the stars, but most hockey fans wouldn't recognize a majority of players if they were riding an elevator together.

The last player to my memory that played without a helmet was Craig McTavish. He had this bad ass receeding hairline and a cool feathered cut and would just glide around the ice with the cold wind blowing through his locks. That must have been early 90s at the latest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:38 pm 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
What about using foam pucks?? Shots from the point and long passes would probably not work but I bet you would have some wicked knuckle-puck action...

On the other side of the spectrum they could use depleted uranium. That would cut the life spans of NHL players down a good bit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:56 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I think the NHL also likes when fans can see the faces of the stars, but most hockey fans wouldn't recognize a majority of players if they were riding an elevator together.
Once upon a time a long time ago, I was in Pgh airport on my way back from visiting family walking to the departure gate and noticed ten or so guys that were 6' and taller built like a brick shithouse wearing suites. Followed by another ten or so guys fitting the same description. I wondered why and then I saw Mario Lemieux. Jaromir Jagr wasn't far behind. Those were the only faces I recognized. I'm 6' 1/2 inch and felt small as they walked past me.

The probabilities of getting hit in the face with a puck are low. Statistics prove that, but just like QB's getting blind sided and WR's getting "Harrisoned" or "Atkined" in crossing patterns through the middle, it's part of the game. Risk v reward. It's not as simple as just placing bubbles over their heads. They are more of a hindrance than protection. The Jackets players all admitted it happens and is part of the game. The great thing about sports is that you risk getting hurt. That's the allure, no? If it were so safe, anybody would do it.

You may as well put face masks on pitchers to prevent the .01% of times they get hit by a return hit pitch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:57 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Y-Town Steel wrote:

On the other side of the spectrum they could use depleted uranium. That would cut the life spans of NHL players down a good bit.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:57 am 

Same reason that almost zero NFL players wear thigh pads, hip pads, or tailbone pads. It affects performance ever so slightly and they are pro's. That's enough of a reason to not wear them. Plus they are grown ass men.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:06 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
The great thing about sports is that you risk getting hurt. That's the allure, no? If it were so safe, anybody would do it.

NO, Really? No, that was never the allure about sports to me, I never thought of that as something that makes it better or more interesting.

I get it, it's rare, but remember Crosby took one in the mouth and missed about 30 games? What if that happened tonight? And it sank the Penguins for the year? When a facemask would of made it just a stinger that went away in a few minutes and he went right back in the game?

That's where I was coming from with my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 am 

R S wrote:
Plus they are grown ass men.

What if an NFL player decided to play without a facemask, or helmet? He's a grown-ass man after all?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next