It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stupid Thing About Hockey...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:54 pm 

I know the real hockey heads will be indignant with this comment, and have a gazillion reasons to explain why I'm wrong, and actually cuss me out and tell me to go fuck myself, but I'll say it anyways...

Why the hell don't the players where full face masks? It's just plain stupid not to. Bonnino got hit in the face last night and had to come out for awhile. A guy for CBJ got really jacked up bad, they say he's done for the year. What logical reason is there to not protect your face? That one year Crosby got really messed up with a puck to the mouth, and missed like 30 games. I don't care if they want to act tough, but if it causes them to miss games, yeah I don't like it. Both these guys last night with a facemask are just stunned, play on, now the CBJ guy is done for the year! For what? I'd be pissed if it was Crosby that would go out for the year right now and it's easily prevented.

Post subject: Re: Stupid Thing About Hockey...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:07 pm 

Because full facemasks suck to look out of.

Full shields tend to fog up really easily and are a pain in the ass.

A wire cage is awful to look through.

I had to start wearing a visor when I went from a ball league to a puck league, and after two full seasons, I still hate wearing it. But I have a day job and it's not worth the risk. If I was a professional where my performance depended on me being able to see as much as possible, I wouldn't want to wear one either.

Yes, guys occasionally get hit in the face and there's certainly a risk there. But over the course of an 82 game season for 28 teams, plus playoffs, the number of times those incidents actually happen is actually really rare. Rare enough that these guys feel it's a worthwhile risk.

It's not just dumb machismo. I'm sure there's a percentage of players that would fall into that category, but there's a larger segment that want to prolong their careers as much as possible, and those guys still choose the half-visors.

Check out Hagelin's visor sometime. He wears it tilted up so far that he seriously doesn't actually look through it unless his head is down. He wears one to satisfy the rule, and that is. And I don't blame him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:13 pm 

All the college players wear them, no problem, I can tell that serious injury is rare. But how would you feel if Crosby took one in the chops tomorrow and was out for 6 weeks?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:19 pm 

I have a feeling that they will eventually have them wear full face protection. I mean just beyond getting hurt, you'd think they care about their investment and not want to lose a Crosby or Ovechkin on some fluke puck to the mouth during a playoff run.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:20 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
All the college players wear them, no problem, I can tell that serious injury is rare. But how would you feel if Crosby took one in the chops tomorrow and was out for 6 weeks?

He actually DID take one about 4 yrs ago.

Anyway to answer your question, there are 2 reasons:

1) In the professional leagues it is against league rules to wear one unless you have an injury. The fishbowls and cages are considered an injury risk to others

2) As pointed out earlier those things are a bitch to see out of...they can fog up and obstruct vision

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 pm 

Also not mentioned, those fishbowl masks are a pain in the ass when you're winded and trying to suck in air. Really restricts airflow (at least the one's that I have used)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:31 pm 

Nick79 wrote:

College players are forced to wear them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:33 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

He actually DID take one about 4 yrs ago.

Anyway to answer your question, there are 2 reasons:

1) In the professional leagues it is against league rules to wear one unless you have an injury. The fishbowls and cages are considered an injury risk to others

2) As pointed out earlier those things are a bitch to see out of...they can fog up and obstruct vision

1. I remember the Crosby hit to the mouth, he missed like 30 games, that's what I'm saying, with a cage, he misses NONE.

2. College players wear them. Do their opponents get injured more?

I don't care what they do, or why, it just seems stupid to deal with this...

When if had a mask, he'd be stunned for a minute, then be OK.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:35 pm 

Hagelin's facemask. That's the face of a man that absolutely HATES visors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:52 pm 

http://www.hockeycentral.co.uk/nhlrules/Rules-9.php