It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Off-season Roster - Strongest in Years
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:35 pm 

Serious question. Have you ever thought the Pirates had a legit shot at a World Series title since 92?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:21 pm 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Serious question. Have you ever thought the Pirates had a legit shot at a World Series title since 92?

Only once. After the Wild Card win vs. Cincinnati in 2013. Then Wainwright and Wacha happened.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:12 pm 

JackLambert58 wrote:

Only once. After the Wild Card win vs. Cincinnati in 2013. Then Wainwright and Wacha happened.

If that 2013 Pirates offense had been paired with our 2015 pitching staff, they woulda gone all . . . the . . . way.

Also thread-bump for irony, and another chance to wish continuing bad post-season fortune upon the Cubs forever . . .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:44 pm 

It was a joke question.

Yes, I thought they had a good shot last year to win the WS, not as strong as the early 90's clubs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:11 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:

It was a joke question.

Yes, I thought they had a good shot last year to win the WS, not as strong as the early 90's clubs.

I never had faith in that early 90s team to get it done in the post-season. I'm not sure about this decade's team, because we couldn't get past the WC game 2 of the 3 years. I did think our best chance was last year, honestly, BUT...we had to play the WC. If we could have won the division, it might have been a different story.

Woulda coulda. Can't go there. You do what you do. 98 wins was the fucking shit, it just wasn't enough last year, and then we had to face a pitcher we couldn't figure out until this year.

1979 seems so far away, but it's all we have now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:09 am 

If they had played all out to get the division title in 2015 (as opposed to doing stupid shit like following "rest metrics" and starting Pedro Florimon at SS during a critical game against the Cubs, and leaving Jeff Locke in to face the batting order a third time in a critical game against St. Louis where he had struggled mightily against them the first two times through), they would have had a legitimate shot to win the World Series.

Cole...Happ...Good Frankie ...Burnett...that's a rotation of a team that could have competed in a best-of-five, best-of-seven.

Unfortunately, again they had to take their chances in a roulette game and ran up against a real ace.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:42 am 

I worry about the strength of the farm system at this point. i do not see much star power in it now that Bell, Tallion and Glassnow will be on the roster. Espeically if Hanson and Frazier stick in the majors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:41 pm 

jebrick wrote:
I worry about the strength of the farm system at this point. i do not see much star power in it now that Bell, Tallion and Glassnow will be on the roster. Espeically if Hanson and Frazier stick in the majors

I couldn't care less about star power. Andrew McCutchen was that star power guy since 2009 and all we have to show for that is one Wild Card win. I like Bell and Taillon a lot. For Glasnow I need a bigger sample size. I also think Kuhl and Brault can solidify the starting rotation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:29 pm 

This year/off-season is NO different than any other since 1992. Spend some damn money!!! Fill a freak'in hole/weakness with some quality. What did saving money, back in the early 90's cutting Bonilla, Bonds etc.... get ya? 26 seasons of under 500% ball, is what ya got!!!!

Look I've been preaching it for years to anyone that will listen (Including my entire family) you don't go 26 years without an above 500% record without trying too. You can't, it's impossible, by happen-stance at some point you will luck into an above 500% season, even if it's by one game every two or three years. No professional team is that bad. It only can be done ON PURPOSE by a cheap skate, crooked, business mind.

Last off-season needed a "boost" or two. Ya got nothing from ownership. Ya went backwards again. No additions to make any sound mind think this years team would be better. NONE, zilch, natta!!!! The team is going backwards again unless a wallet is opened or the ownership changes.

Pirate Nation are all puppets on a string. Pull a string and they all pull out some "green" to line ownership's wealth, estate, & worth. This ownership has done NOTHING in NOT a single off-season, since it bought the team, to nudge it forward. But hey, keep fighting the good fight and keep the hope alive this is the year it will change.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:04 am 

MeanJoeGreene75 wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

It was a joke question.

I never had faith in that early 90s team to get it done in the post-season. I'm not sure about this decade's team, because we couldn't get past the WC game 2 of the 3 years. I did think our best chance was last year, honestly, BUT...we had to play the WC. If we could have won the division, it might have been a different story.

Woulda coulda. Can't go there. You do what you do. 98 wins was the fucking shit, it just wasn't enough last year, and then we had to face a pitcher we couldn't figure out until this year.

1979 seems so far away, but it's all we have now.

I was just watching one of those games from the 79 WS recently.....Kent Tekulve coming in during the 7th inning and finishing the game....lol, how times have changed. Fun team to watch that year. Chuck Tanner could do no wrong with his platooning, etc. And that starting pitching staff was so damn good, fun fun team. Candelaria, Bibby, Blyleven, Kison - strong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next