It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pens/NHL Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:38 am 

They gave Tanev a Limited No Trade Clause

You can't make this shit up!

And I'd like to thank the Penguins for officially ruining my long weekend

Here I thought they were FINALLY putting the screws to Sully by hiring his de facto replacement if things went south early in the year (odds are that they indeed will)

So they purposely painted themselves into a corner before they had to (see JJ contract and Tanev). I mean nothing precludes extending him during the middle of the year or immediately after this season if they like what they saw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

Here I thought they were FINALLY putting the screws to Sully by hiring his de facto replacement if things went south early in the year (odds are that they indeed will)

So they purposely painted themselves into a corner before they had to (see JJ contract and Tanev). I mean nothing precludes extending him during the middle of the year or immediately after this season if they like what they saw

Woooow. I mean, we've proven that limited NTC aren't THAT big of a blocker when trying to unload someone.

But even still, terrible strategy for middle-tier player.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:24 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

Are you talking about Vellucci?

It's not like Mario hasn't burned through coaches...

As far as Tanev, the more I think about it the more this guy better make the fourth line a tough/difficult one to play against. I fear we just signed a bigger/faster version of Max Talbot for way too much $$ and contract length. And they gave him some extra leverage which was stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:48 pm 

If they're struggling at midseason, I think they'd still show Sullivan the door.

The Tanev signing, jeez. Go figure. The salary, pretty high, the term, well, pretty ridiculous. Even a limited NMC, just wow.

Signed him on the first day, with no apparent competition. In that, at least, it seems painfully familiar from last year around this time.

Hopefully the player is of more use than JJ was/is/hopefully was.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:39 pm 

Not to change the subject, but there's a nice article on Pensburgh discussing the Power Play sans Kessel. Good article/discussion around bumping Schultz or Guentzel to the top PP unit, and some potential changes in strategy.

We (me included) tend to fall into the trap of thinking trades are a one-for-one swap, where it could signal a change in overall lines or strategy. We'll see, I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:22 pm 

Couple of questions about the article Pabst shared.
If they go with Letang and Schultz on the top unit which D man heads up the second unit? I believe in the past it would have been Maata but that can't happen now. I suppose they could bring 4 F's and keep either Letang or Schultz on the ice for the entire time.

There is something no one is talking about losing Kessel on the PP. If you move Guenzel to the top unit that weakens the second unit. I'm trying to figure who is going to be on the second unit and I just don't see a good one(right now) with what is on the roster.

If Riikola progresses I suppose he could be the answer to the second unit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Couple of questions about the article Pabst shared.
If they go with Letang and Schultz on the top unit which D man heads up the second unit? I believe in the past it would have been Maata but that can't happen now. I suppose they could bring 4 F's and keep either Letang or Schultz on the ice for the entire time.

There is something no one is talking about losing Kessel on the PP. If you move Guenzel to the top unit that weakens the second unit. I'm trying to figure who is going to be on the second unit and I just don't see a good one(right now) with what is on the roster.

If Riikola progresses I suppose he could be the answer to the second unit.

Meh I'm not concerned at all about the 2nd unit. They'll probably only average 30-45 secs PP anyway. Rikkola and Petts could easily fill those roles on the backend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:59 pm 

Matt Cullen retired.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:28 pm 

I heard possibly looking for a player/coach role, but I'll always be thankful for the two Cups.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:58 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Not to change the subject, but there's a nice article on Pensburgh discussing the Power Play sans Kessel. Good article/discussion around bumping Schultz or Guentzel to the top PP unit, and some potential changes in strategy.

We (me included) tend to fall into the trap of thinking trades are a one-for-one swap, where it could signal a change in overall lines or strategy. We'll see, I suppose.

Don't have to read that article to know that Kessel refused to shoot the puck on the PP since the 2017-18 postseason. Either he was favoring some injury or they were telling him not to shoot it or he was obsessed with passing... regardless, it was a huge problem at times.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:43 pm 

The overpassing syndrome has been a Pens PP issue for most of the Crosby/Malkin years. Even Phil was bound to catch it eventually.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:32 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Don't have to read that article to know that Kessel refused to shoot the puck on the PP since the 2017-18 postseason. Either he was favoring some injury or they were telling him not to shoot it or he was obsessed with passing... regardless, it was a huge problem at times.

To a degree, I agree with you. Then again, Kessel had two of his best statistical seasons on the PP the past two years.

The guy I'm pissed at for not shooting more is Malkin and that goes for the PP as well as 5 on 5. You are blessed with that shot and he just won't pull the trigger enough?

I'm hoping with Kessel gone on the PP Malkin realizes he needs to unload that howitzer of a shot he has more now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:25 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Agree with this, even though Kessel was/is the top passer on the team next to Sid. You have to expand your arsenal and Phil was overdoing it to the team's detriment

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:12 pm 

Blueger signed to a two-year extension.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

One way deal. He's not heading back to WBS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:34 pm 

Pabst wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

One way deal. He's not heading back to WBS.

Nor should he

Of course that presumes the coach doesn't run him out of town too

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:34 pm 

Vasilevsky re-signed with Tampa, 8 yrs, 9.5 million AAV. Couple that with Bob's deal, and it's not great news going into negotiations with Murray.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:26 am 

Chris Kunitz retired, will coach for Blackhawks. Thanks for the memories, Kuni!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:16 pm 

Ice wrote:

4 Stanley Cups.

He was obviously never the best player on the ice, but I do think those 4 cups are very indicative of the player he was. Always willing to do what was necessary.

Kudos to Kuni!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:21 pm 

He has a Gold Medal as well. Not bad for an undrafted player who was waived twice.

And for a stroll down memory lane......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:29 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Ice wrote:

4 Stanley Cups.

He was obviously never the best player on the ice, but I do think those 4 cups are very indicative of the player he was. Always willing to do what was necessary.

Kudos to Kuni!

Hockey chemistry is a funny thing, man. And Kunitz had it in spades with Sid. People will say "oh he road his coattails"

Been hundreds of players who had BETTER than marginal offensive ability than Kunitz play next to elite centers, yet failed to produce.
Part of being a good teammate is knowing your role and making your good players, better. That comes in many forms: knowing where they like to receive passes, creating having on a forecheck, thinking the game on their level, etc.

Kunitz did all of those things better than any other winger in the Sid/Geno era, that's saying something

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:31 pm 

Evgeny Kuznetsov just got a 4 year ban from the IIHF for cocaine.

Could be looking at a lengthy NHL suspension.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:09 pm 

Pabst wrote:

Different bodies and different sanctions.

NHL does not deem it an "abusive drug". They call it recreational

So he is not subject to suspension in the NHL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:49 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Different bodies and different sanctions.

NHL does not deem it an "abusive drug". They call it recreational

So he is not subject to suspension in the NHL

The CBC had a discussion on this a few days ago (that I can't find). You're correct that this falls outside of the NHL's (extremely lax) drug policy, but there was discussion around the "conduct detrimental to the league" policy. They focused alot on the fact that 1. This is a major punishment from the IIHF and 2. Kuznetsov lied about it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:00 pm 

Trying hard to think of another sports league where huffing lines of cocaine isn't a specifically prohibited offense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next