It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens/NHL Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:41 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
35 years ago on this day, the Penguins drafted Mario Lemieux. Things have worked out fairly well since then.

Where do the years go?

Here's another one- it's been 40 years since the Pirates last won a World Series- adding on to their longest drought in their history.

And I remember the '79 Series like it was yesterday...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:49 am 

Ice wrote:
Rumors surfacing connecting the Pens to Trouba. It's a bit of a gamble with his pending employment status, as well as what the Jets appear to be asking (2 roster guys and a pick/ top prospect). Salary cap a definite issue, as well, if Phil is indeed going nowhere. Rusty/JJ/1st rounder?

Where are you seeing these?
I'm only finding "10 Places Jacob Trouba Could Play Next Year" Bleacher Report-level articles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:50 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Here's another one- it's been 40 years since the Pirates last won a World Series- adding on to their longest drought in their history.

And I remember the '79 Series like it was yesterday...
I was at one of those games of the series. Three rivers, left field, about ten rows back from the wall. Pirates lost that game but won the series, obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:55 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Ice wrote:
Rumors surfacing connecting the Pens to Trouba. It's a bit of a gamble with his pending employment status, as well as what the Jets appear to be asking (2 roster guys and a pick/ top prospect). Salary cap a definite issue, as well, if Phil is indeed going nowhere. Rusty/JJ/1st rounder?

Where are you seeing these?
I'm only finding "10 Places Jacob Trouba Could Play Next Year" Bleacher Report-level articles.

Eh I think it's a logical connection, but it's not like Trouba has been linked EXCLUSIVELY to the Pens

I think Maata and a 1st rounder would get us in the ballpark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 pm 

Inside Pittsburgh Sports had a headline touting an "aggressive" pursuit of Trouba by the Pens. It's not the most reliable site, but more so than some. The biggest potential issue is that he apparently still wants to test FA, so it's a gamble.

As someone who would like to see a little more than the rearrangement of deck chairs, it got my interest, with the bigger names in the forward lineup apparently not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:18 pm 

Olli Maatta to Chicago for forward Dominik Kahun and a 2019 fifth-round draft pick.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/pengu ... b-penguins

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert

"I work in a bank." - Demetreus Gore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:23 pm 

Don't know a ton about Kahun other than young, quick and versatile. Potted 13 for a pretty bad Blackhawks team last season.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:55 am 

Yeah, they shed some cap and if they can get rid of JJ then it is a good start.
I don't know anything about the player but what I read is that he won't be a help on the PP but can play any forward position and fill in on the top 9.
Smallish but fast.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 am 

We now lead the league in players named Dominik, though. He played wing and a good bit of center last year, so quick and versatile. Logged some top six minutes, as well.

Not enough grit or pushback, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:35 am 

Given that I believe Maatta was an underwater player (i.e., contracts cost more than value Maatta added), getting this haul is a steal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:31 am 

Trouba to the Rangers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:41 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Trouba to the Rangers

Trouba apparently wants $7-8M and we'd fall short by about 1/2 that.

Although if some fucking idiot GM wouldn't have signed JJ to a billion year contract, we might have been in play for his services

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:35 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Trouba to the Rangers

Trouba apparently wants $7-8M and we'd fall short by about 1/2 that.

Although if some fucking idiot GM wouldn't have signed JJ to a billion year contract, we might have been in play for his services

Like some Cold War dossier that the CIA will never release to the public, I fear the reason for the bonehead signing by JR will never be known.

What did you guys think of the Maata trade?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:54 pm 

The more I read about Kahun, the more I like him. Pensburgh has an article today about his ability to avoid the box (only 6 PIM in 82 games last year).
Time will tell, though. I admittedly watched almost no Blackhawks games last year, but he did have a nice stat line for a rookie on a sub par team.

On the JJ signing - I do wonder how much of that was influenced by him being buddies with Sid.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:03 pm 

I was hoping to get more for Maata, but I'm confident that was the best offer on the table for JR.

To me the reconstruction of this roster begins with Maata and JJ gone. There's too much $$ invested in such a middling group.

I think Maata will absolutely thrive in the West where players are a tad slower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:28 pm 

Pabst wrote:
The more I read about Kahun, the more I like him. Pensburgh has an article today about his ability to avoid the box (only 6 PIM in 82 games last year).
Time will tell, though. I admittedly watched almost no Blackhawks games last year, but he did have a nice stat line for a rookie on a sub par team.

On the JJ signing - I do wonder how much of that was influenced by him being buddies with Sid.

From what I've read, Kahun isn't too fond of contact, which is backed up by his 13 total hits over 82 games last year, which was easily the worst on the Blackhawks for anyone who played even close to a full season.

That's the only scary part about this deal, for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a skilled guy over a grinder with no skill any day of the week. But you also can't be completely averse to contact, either. I don't want a poor man's Kessel, especially if we can't get rid of the actual Kessel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:33 pm 

And in another fun example of the NHL being the NHL, the 2019-2020 salary cap is still not set and isn't expected to be until right smack in the middle of the draft.

Now, granted, the fluctuation is only expected to be about a million dollars or slightly more, but to a cap-strapped team, that could be a big difference in making a draft-day deal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:34 pm 

Pabst wrote:

From what I've read, Kahun isn't too fond of contact, which is backed up by his 13 total hits over 82 games last year, which was easily the worst on the Blackhawks for anyone who played even close to a full season.

That's the only scary part about this deal, for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a skilled guy over a grinder with no skill any day of the week. But you also can't be completely averse to contact, either. I don't want a poor man's Kessel, especially if we can't get rid of the actual Kessel.

Yea but I feel like we've got enough grinders to balance that out: Horny/Rust/Zar/McCann you could even include Blueger