It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Offseason Pens Stuff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:28 pm 

Weird to not be playing hockey in May...man this sucks

Wanted to share this though:

Josh Yohe has an article out grading the seasons of each roster player.

"One night earlier, the Penguins had fallen to the Lightning 4-3 at PPG Paints Arena. Mike Sullivan was orchestrating a video session and, in what had become a familiar theme early in the season, the head coach was quite upset with his forwards’ lack of attention to detail in the defensive zone. The Penguins were permitting odd-man rushes with an unwanted frequency during this time and, while the play of the defensemen wasn’t always ideal, Sullivan was anywhere between miffed and angry with the lack of puck support and overall defensive eagerness from his forwards.

"During this meeting, Sullivan showed a video of Chad Ruhwedel with the puck in the corner behind goaltender Matt Murray. There were no Penguins forwards visible in the screenshot, prompting Sullivan to say, 'What is Chad supposed to do in this situation?'

"Pittsburgh’s second line was on the ice during this particular sequence. Thus, Sullivan’s question was directed toward that unit. Evgeni Malkin offered his opinion:

“'He’s in the NHL,'” Malkin said in front of the entire team. 'He can skate it out.'”

Post subject: Re: Offseason Pens Stuff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:45 pm 

I'd personally like to see the video referenced, here. I mean there is always the chance that it was a situation where an NHL defenseman should have, in fact, been able to carry the puck out of the zone. But....Ruhwedel.

But, I also recognize that the more likely scenario is that Malkin was being a dick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:53 pm 

Or it was a witless attempt at poor humor. If he was serious than a big 'fuck you' to him.

Throughout his career, Malkin has only spoken poorly of one teammate to the press and that was Orpik who threw Malkin under the bus to the press to start things. Those two hated one another.

Here is another article about the end of the season...
https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/state ... -306869796

* Rutherford will take time to assess the roster before making any changes

* Rutherford believes the team has tradable assets if needed

* Rutherford doesn't think this locker room ever came together as a team

* Rutherford believes the Pens lacked eagerness, determination against Islanders

* Rutherford thought the team played its best in March

* Sullivan, coaches will assess strategy, style and tactics in offseason

* Sullivan felt team's biggest flaw was inconsistency in being hard to play against; believes that's the missing part of team identity

* Sullivan's goal is to get 100-percent buy-in on that portion of team identity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:29 pm 

So all of this can be roughly translated into "They just didn't want it badly enough."

Stanley cup finals are a slog. Worse than any season. Hardest thing to do in professional team sports, with the exception of the world cup, IMO. But I'm not a sport expert.

/Shrug.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:03 pm 

should be big interesting off season. will geno be shipped? kessal? then there's several ld like shipped.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:38 pm 

caps down 2 late 3rd; man I hope they choke in game 7.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:29 pm 

Why is Alex Ovechkin such a spastic douche bag? For Christ sakes he’s the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:28 am 

bam morris wrote:
should be big interesting off season. will geno be shipped? kessal? then there's several ld like shipped.

Not that easy, both have trade clauses and can control their destinies to a degree. If either or both want to go then it becomes easier unless they want to go to a team in our conference.
I don't believe you would get fair assets for Malkin. Probably the same for Kessel.

I still think there will be minimal changes because they believe the core deserves another chance to get that last cup.

Look at Nashville.
Everyone thought they would be winning the cup after losing to the Pens in the finals. Now they have been eliminated once again without reaching the conference finals.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:59 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
bam morris wrote:

Not that easy, both have trade clauses and can control their destinies to a degree. If either or both want to go then it becomes easier unless they want to go to a team in our conference.
I don't believe you would get fair assets for Malkin. Probably the same for Kessel.

I still think there will be minimal changes because they believe the core deserves another chance to get that last cup.

Look at Nashville.
Everyone thought they would be winning the cup after losing to the Pens in the finals. Now they have been eliminated once again without reaching the conference finals.

Pretty much. My hopes of seeing the needed changes died when I saw the list of guys with no-trade clauses.

Yeah, it's not impossible to get around that...but it sure as hell makes it harder.

Which means we're coming back next year with the same core of Sid, Malkin, Letang, Hornqvist, Guentzal, and Kessel. There's only 2.9 people on that list I 100% want back (I originally had Malkin on there, and still mostly do, but my mind started wavering a little when I realized he's going on 33 and possibly being a jerk. But make no mistake, I don't even consider trading him unless the offer is completely out of this world, which won't happen. He's still one of the most physically dominating guys in the league).

Letang aggravates me so much. He should easily be the best defensman in the league if he weren't such a moron and actually attempted to play within a system.

But here we are, after all these years, and he still isn't doing that, and it cost us dearly in the playoffs. He might actually be the best bang-for-buck trade asset we have, if we could get away from his NTC. Some team out there would absolutely overpay for him, and a more disciplined defenseman might benefit us more at this point. Although that's probably easier said than done, as you don't see teams swap their top D-men very often, and finding another D-man to fill that gaping hole (insert your mom joke, here) via other means wouldn't be easy.

Ugh, what a mess.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:26 am 

Let's take a look at everyone under contract for next year:

McCann - Crosby - Guentzel
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
Johnson - Gudbranson

Murray, DeSmith

RFA's are ZAR, Blueger, and Pettersson

I fully expect one defenseman not named Letang or Dumoulin to get traded. Once that happens, there is enough room to resign all RFAs and fill out the last wing spot with a Garrett Wilson type.

People are talking about the age of the core players, but Guentzel, McCann, Blueger, Rust, Bjugstad, Pettersson and Murray are all 26 or younger and under team control for several years. The Pens still have plenty of young talent.

At the moment, Hornqvist is the only forward that is truly underperforming his contract - hopefully for injury related reasons.

There's still plenty of talent on this team. Stay positive, folks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:03 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
bam morris wrote:

Look at Nashville.

That's just hockey karma for the fans being disrespectful douchebags when the Pens eliminated them

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:35 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Let's take a look at everyone under contract for next year:

McCann - Crosby - Guentzel
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
Johnson - Gudbranson

Murray, DeSmith

RFA's are ZAR, Blueger, and Pettersson

I fully expect one defenseman not named Letang or Dumoulin to get traded. Once that happens, there is enough room to resign all RFAs and fill out the last wing spot with a Garrett Wilson type.

People are talking about the age of the core players, but Guentzel, McCann, Blueger, Rust, Bjugstad, Pettersson and Murray are all 26 or younger and under team control for several years. The Pens still have plenty of young talent.

At the moment, Hornqvist is the only forward that is truly underperforming his contract - hopefully for injury related reasons.

There's still plenty of talent on this team. Stay positive, folks.

I'm not saying 'blow' up the team, I'm just explaining to those who want to that it would be very hard to do so.

I think the plan is to go one more year with basically the same team. Tweaks will be made but nothing drastic is going down.

Even though we are getting older at the franchise pieces, Sid had a spectacular year and Malkin is only one year removed from a 98 point season where he scored 42 goals.

On top of that, we have a first rounder this year. Who knows how that will work out.

Hopefully, the stench from this season motivates the entire team to excel next season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:55 pm 

It seems they missed two players desperately. Bonino and hags.

It's not like this team doesn't have a good core, but the role players just weren't up to the task it seemed.

From someone that doesn't know shite about hockey.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:08 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

It's not like this team doesn't have a good core, but the role players just weren't up to the task it seemed.

I think it was less about the role players and more about the stars being maddeningly inconsistent this season.

Geno and Kessel both had massive dry spells at various times this year.
Sid carried the team all season then disappeared in the playoffs (this really applies to Guentzel as well)
Letang was fantastic until he got hurt and was awful in the playoffs.

I'm anxious to see what McCann and Jugs can do after a full offseason with the Pens.

Fractal - I wasn't trying to disagree with you. I was speaking generally, as i've had a few friends suggest blowing things up as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:03 pm 

Pabst wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

I think it was less about the role players and more about the stars being maddeningly inconsistent this season.

Geno and Kessel both had massive dry spells at various times this year.
Sid carried the team all season then disappeared in the playoffs (this really applies to Guentzel as well)
Letang was fantastic until he got hurt and was awful in the playoffs.

I'm anxious to see what McCann and Jugs can do after a full offseason with the Pens.

Fractal - I wasn't trying to disagree with you. I was speaking generally, as i've had a few friends suggest blowing things up as well.

It was unlikely the Pens could have afforded to match what Bonino was going to get on the market and he really wanted to play second center minutes-something he never was going to get behind Sid and Malkin. He was valuable though.

Hags was traded for a few reasons. One was to spark the team and the other was that he wasn't scoring. Turned out that it backfired on the Pens because as soon as Hags was shipped out Malkin went into his months-long slump.
Hagelin would get in on the forecheck with his speed disrupting the other team making space for Malkin to operate. With Kessel on the other wing that really opened it up.

I too am looking forward to McCann and Jugs for a full year with a camp under them. I just hope that Sully gives McCann a fair chance with Sid and Jake.

Maybe Riikola takes a big step next year. Remember he was the hit of camp and preseason.

Cullen is talking retirement but if he wants to play one more year let it be elsewhere. Loved him as a Pen but Blueger deserves to be the fourth line center.

Pabst, I would have entertained trading Malkin if the Pens had three-peated. Get some assets to rebuild and give Geno a team of his own. He could have worn the 'C' until his career ended.

On another note, funny how the Islanders really improved this year even though they lost their best player. Trotts did a great job turning it around. When you lose a player like Tavares and you improve, that really is something.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:33 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

I think the Hags trade blew up in JR’s face. Anyway they can get him back? Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:52 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Weird to not be playing hockey in May...man this sucks

Wanted to share this though:

Josh Yohe has an article out grading the seasons of each roster player.

"One night earlier, the Penguins had fallen to the Lightning 4-3 at PPG Paints Arena. Mike Sullivan was orchestrating a video session and, in what had become a familiar theme early in the season, the head coach was quite upset with his forwards’ lack of attention to detail in the defensive zone. The Penguins were permitting odd-man rushes with an unwanted frequency during this time and, while the play of the defensemen wasn’t always ideal, Sullivan was anywhere between miffed and angry with the lack of puck support and overall defensive eagerness from his forwards.

"During this meeting, Sullivan showed a video of Chad Ruhwedel with the puck in the corner behind goaltender Matt Murray. There were no Penguins forwards visible in the screenshot, prompting Sullivan to say, 'What is Chad supposed to do in this situation?'

"Pittsburgh’s second line was on the ice during this particular sequence. Thus, Sullivan’s question was directed toward that unit. Evgeni Malkin offered his opinion:

“'He’s in the NHL,'” Malkin said in front of the entire team. 'He can skate it out.'”

Really Really sucks no Pens now. Watching Leafs, Bruins.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:36 pm 

Toronto snakebitten by Boston again, and so therefore still no Canadian Stanley Cup champion since 1993.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:03 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

I think the Hags trade blew up in JR’s face. Anyway they can get him back? Thoughts?

I'm not sure bringing Hags back will fix much. He made a bunch of money and is frequently hurt. If he made $2M less, then sure bring him back.

The Forwards seem to be ok in a salary cap league...certainly not what we had in 2016/17 but good enough.

The defense needs a major overhaul though. 2nd highest paid defense in the league and this is the garbage they put up. Maata is likely gone (thank god)

I also think Kessel is gone too, which I would hate

JJ is probably unmoveable, so I'd buy him out pronto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:14 pm 

Outside of a 2 week stretch in March, Hags has been terrible this year. Couple that with the fact that he's a speed-driven player on the wrong side of 30. No thanks.

The Pens' forward group is fine. Fix the defense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:19 pm 

come on canes!!! please!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:30 pm 

bam morris wrote:
come on canes!!! please!

Should be a great final period!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:04 pm 

Things I learned while watching the hockey game tonight:

If you prop your iphone up properly and use the camera mode on your Apple Watch, you can watch the game from the bathroom on your watch.

#lifehacks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 am 

caps out pleases me; off season can now begin! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:15 am 

The fat fuck Mark Madden is reporting that the Pens organization isn't happy with Malkin, at all. Both with his play and his attitude (particularly with his lack of willingness to play more disciplined).

Said the Pens wouldn't be against trading him if the right deal came along, although his NMC will likely make that impossible anyways.

Funny how the dam always seems to break on sports teams after disappointing seasons.

I also didn't realize how bad Malkin's season really was.

Led the team in both penalty minutes and turnovers, worst +/- on the team, and fewest goals of his career excluding lockout seasons and 2011 when he only played 43 games.

I don't want to trade him, but if we are to get this ship turned around, that isn't going to cut it.