It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BRASSARD TRADED
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:40 pm 

Figured this needed its own thread:

Quote:
Bob McKenzie
‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie

Bjugstad and McCann to PIT for Sheahan, Brassard and multiple picks to FLA.

Details incoming, I'm sure

Post subject: Re: BRASSARD TRADED
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:45 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:54 pm 

I don't know much about either of these guys, but looking at the stats, these look like very very mild upgrades that we gave up a lot of picks for.

Although they are younger guys.

Bjugstad - 32 GP 5G 7A 12P
McCann - 46 GP 8G 10A 18P

Brassard - 40GP 9G 6A 15P
Sheahan - 49GP 7G 2A 9P

Who has some better intel on them?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:57 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
I don't know much about either of these guys, but looking at the stats, these look like very very mild upgrades that we gave up a lot of picks for.

Sheahan - 49GP 7G 2A 9P

Well we gave them UFA's for guys with term, so that is why we had to include picks I'm sure.

Looks like McCann is going to be 3C- from what I heard he plays the game a bit like Bonino

Bjud is probably Geno's LW

Disappointed the Brass trade didn't work out...on paper it was a no brainer acquisition.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

Sheahan - 49GP 7G 2A 9P

Well we gave them UFA's for guys with term, so that is why we had to include picks I'm sure.

Looks like McCann is going to be 3C- from what I heard he plays the game a bit like Bonino

Disappointed the Brass trade didn't work out...on paper it was a no brainer acquisition.

That makes a little more sense, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:01 pm 

Upon more inspection, Bjugstad had 49 points last season. 19 goals and 30 assists.

That makes me feel better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:09 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

Has Bjugstad played on the left side? I admittedly haven't watched much (any) of Florida this year.

Another perk is that this solves the depth problem at C for the next 2 years, at least in theory.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:13 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Has Bjugstad played on the left side? I admittedly haven't watched much (any) of Florida this year.

Another perk is that this solves the depth problem at C for the next 2 years, at least in theory.

Yea McCann should be pretty cheap, plus you hope that Bleuger develops during that time too.

Looks like Bjug is mostly a RW but I think they'll put him on the LW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:20 pm 

Just saw that our only UFA this offseason after this trade are Cullen, Wilson, and Ruhwedel.

If we can find someway to have JJ get hit by a bus between now and then, we'd be sitting rather pretty!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:25 pm 

Just saw that our only UFA this offseason after this trade are Cullen, Wilson, and Ruhwedel.

If we can find someway to have JJ get hit by a bus between now and then, we'd be sitting rather pretty!

The unfortunate thing, those guys are all cheap.
The JJ signing is really going to push us against the cap :/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:32 pm 

yeah, had very high hopes for Brass, and not for nothing, but Benstonium made that hilarious video for it, too. Disappointing end. I've like Bjugstad's game in the past, but this season's numbers are a little depressing. Does he slot in at 4C? On 2nd with Geno and...? Hornquvist? Does Blueger fit in here somewhere? Cullen doesn't have enough left in the tank to go full time 4C into and through a Cup run, does he?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:41 pm 

Ice wrote:
yeah, had very high hopes for Brass, and not for nothing, but Benstonium made that hilarious video for it, too. Disappointing end. I've like Bjugstad's game in the past, but this season's numbers are a little depressing. Does he slot in at 4C? On 2nd with Geno and...? Hornquvist? Does Blueger fit in here somewhere? Cullen doesn't have enough left in the tank to go full time 4C into and through a Cup run, does he?

Bjug wasn't acquired to be in the bottom 6 role, that's for sure

Do I want Cullen playing the rest of the year at 4C? No, they should really give him some games off so he's fresh for the playoffs
But I don't think that is gonna happen....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:52 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Ice wrote:

Do I want Cullen playing the rest of the year at 4C? No, they should really give him some games off so he's fresh for the playoffs

I dunno, they could occasionally throw Teddy Blueger out there to eat some games while Cullen takes a rest. I don't think that's the worst thing in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:00 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Ice wrote:

I dunno, they could occasionally throw Teddy Blueger out there to eat some games while Cullen takes a rest. I don't think that's the worst thing in the world.

Oh it's certainly easy - they've got plenty of C depth to do it
But doubt you'd sell Cullen on the idea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:02 pm 

Jason Mackey

@JMackeyPG
GMJR on Bjugstad at RW: "I think once we have all our centers in place and healthy and whatnot, that’s probably where he’ll go."

So, someone isn't healthy?

Asked GMJR if Bjugstad starts at 3C: "Umm … he’ll start as a center and see where it goes from there."

2:46 PM - Feb 1, 2019

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:18 pm 

So does Cullen move to LW on the 4th line?

Guentz - Sid - Simon
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Pearson - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Cullen - McCann - ZAR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:34 pm 

Pabst wrote:
So does Cullen move to LW on the 4th line?

Guentz - Sid - Simon
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Cullen - McCann - ZAR

Probably Wilson in place of ZAR, but yea seems about right

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:35 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

Oh it's certainly easy - they've got plenty of C depth to do it
But doubt you'd sell Cullen on the idea[/quote]

Ohhh, gotcha.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:11 pm 

Stephen Whyno

@SWhyno
Dale Tallon on Jared McCann: "Pittsburgh wanted him badly ... and you've got to give something to get something."

3:10 PM - Feb 1, 2019

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:25 pm 

What are the chances Florida flips Brassard to Columbus for Bobrovsky?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:16 pm 

Pabst wrote:
What are the chances Florida flips Brassard to Columbus for Bobrovsky?

That's an interesting angle, but I think cbus would be wise to go all in with their current setup

But I do believe that Fla has interest in Bob and Panarin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:59 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Guentz - Sid - Simon
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Cullen - McCann - ZAR

Schultz back in the lineup too.

I'm not well versed on other hockey teams & players, like I am in football, so I usually go to the PensBurgh site when there are trade rumors. Before the trade, most there were hoping for a bigger name. After this trade was announced most poasters there seemed excited with the trade and the players we got. They were praising GMJR for swinging the trade, that he did, without giving up a #1 pick in the draft. Two younger longer term (non rental) players without losing a #1 was a great move and one that will help the "Cap" going forward if they turn out to fit in.

https://www.pensburgh.com/2019/2/1/18207031/penguins-trade-with-florida-brassard-sheahan-sent-for-nick-bjugstad-jared-mccann

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:35 pm 

I took a budding interest in Florida early last season. They are a particularly odd bunch that is just stacked with first and second round picks up and down the lineup, yet they just can't put it together.

Bjugstad obviously wasn't the best player on the team, but he's certainly worthy of a top 6 role and moves the needle more than a guy like Tanner Pearson.

The thing that most fans aren't really praising JR on is the position flexibility of this move. Both players can play wing and center. With a guy like Brassard, the Penguins needed him to be the 3C. Yes, he could play wing, but the Penguins needed him to excel at 3C.

This season, the Penguins need a top 4 upgrade, a LW for Malkin, and a 3C. By acquiring players that can do both forward positions, Rutherford effectively gave the Penguins 4 different players in this trade, or four opportunities to figure out two of those needs. If we're counting Blueger, it's 5.

The big difference between McCann/Bjugstad and Sheahan/Brassard is that the former have certain traits that separate them from the average player in the bottom 6. Bjugstad is a big body, and although I'd like him to use it more via hits, he is a pretty great player when it comes to body positioning, puck possession, zone entries, and board work. I think that will ultimately play well with Geno. That being said, he might make a good RW for Sid. Guys have had success there, but no one is really locked into that spot. With Rust looking like he was turning Geno around from LW the last week before his injury, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of Bjugstad with Sid to work the board and enter the zone (something Sid loves from a player) and McCann at his more natural and preferred position of 3C.

Now, think about what Brassard was bringing this season and how lazy he was with the puck, his skating, and his overall underwhelming presence. McCann is pretty much better at everything except faceoffs than the most vanilla player on the planet, Riley Sheahan. He has a lot to prove, but he's still a young prospect. He might be a wild card guy in the top 6. I'd consider him to have more skill than all the young guys, minus Guentzel, of course. As witnessed last night, some pretty big consistency issues. He has elite acceleration and pretty solid speed. He's pretty smart. I think a lot of the game is still too fast for him though. Definitely looks like a guy who could have had much more seasoning in the AHL. I got that feeling watching him with Florida. He's there, but he might not be THERE until 2021. A lot of teams don't have patience for that.

You get these guys with term and you play your young guys (Simon, Blueger, ZAR, McCann), and all the sudden this team has four dangerous lines again.

There's going to be some line shuffling, and even more when Geno comes back, but this could be a really nice trade for the Penguins. I think it's a big step into getting back to their identity. These special traits (speed, acceleration, quick releases, board work), these are what create matchup issues. It's a game of rock, paper, scissor. You can have a huge rock that can smash anything, but if someone else throws down a small sheet of paper, the paper still wins.

Grant, a relative plodder, is gone. Boring Sheahan is gone. BrAssard is gone. Blueger is playing and excelling. McCann and Bjugstad are quick players. No more Wilson when everyone is healthy. Bye, bye Jamie Oleksiak.

If Schultz comes back and the Penguins find a way to upgrade their top 4, I'll be pretty happy. The fact the players have term is a positive, too.

Maybe Jack Johnson embarrassing himself and single-handedly costing the team games now is a good thing. Maybe that will lead JR to making another move.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:34 pm 

Great post hacksaw. Agreed on JJ; He’s truly the one piece that is an immense liability any time he is on the ice. I’m not trying to shit on the guy he’s just not a solid defenseman anymore. Game has gotten to fast for his skill set.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:00 pm 

Good post hack

I'm neutral on the trade :
Posiitves are what you listed, younger guys, position flexibility

Negative for me is that I thought we could /should have gotten a bigger return for a name like Brassard, especially considering what we gave up to acquire