It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates going all in it to win it
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:42 pm 

Innings eater Ivan Nova for a 19 year old kid.

CHAMPIONSHIP!

Post subject: Re: Pirates going all in it to win it
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:59 pm 

The Steelers are imploding before our eyes...
The Pens, paying the bill for back to back Cups, have become an NHL bottom feeder...
And the Buccos are...well, the Buccos.

What a great time to be a Pittsburgh sports fan! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:10 pm 

financial flexibility baby! we rock!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:27 pm 

this may be one of the best offseasons in years. IS IT THE BEST?!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 pm 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
this may be one of the best offseasons in years. IS IT THE BEST?!

TV contract expires this year. Neal and Nutting putting themselves in a position of STRENGTH, baby!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:22 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Innings eater Ivan Nova for a 19 year old kid.

CHAMPIONSHIP!

Innings eater who sucked. I liked the idea of getting him out of the rotation. Hope they can find a LHP who can start.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:31 pm 

Wanted...left handed starting pitcher. Experience not needed. Must be willing to work for peanuts. Years of control required.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:39 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Wanted...left handed starting pitcher. Experience not needed. Must be willing to work for peanuts. Years of control required.

It wouldn’t matter.....

Cubs, Dodgers, Yanks, Sox - can’t compete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:02 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

It wouldn’t matter.....

not can't.
don't want too.
when the 1st goal is money and savings and profit.
u can't expect winner on field.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:13 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
The Steelers are imploding before our eyes...
The Pens, paying the bill for back to back Cups, have become an NHL bottom feeder...
And the Buccos are...well, the Buccos.

What a great time to be a Pittsburgh sports fan! :roll:

Bottom feeder may be overstating it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:45 am 

bam morris wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

It wouldn’t matter.....

not can't.
don't want too.
when the 1st goal is money and savings and profit.
u can't expect winner on field.

No cap No way - they had their little blip a few years sgo - wasn’t enough. Worst run sport in the history of professional sports.
You are lucky your Steelers play in a capped league or you would have a lot more to complain about.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:21 am 

I'll continue to stand by this. A cap wouldn't change the Pirates lot...not as long as Nutting is the owner. It would remove one excuse for this owners/front office. So more accountability, and in that regard it would be a good thing. But if there was a cap you can bet the Pirates would only hover at the floor of it (certainly not the ceiling) and they would short change in other areas where the cap doesn't factor. They'd be like the Bengals are in the NFL. Meaning they would have the smallest and lowest paid scouting and development staffs in the league. So you would basically have 80% of the league spending $30-$50M (the diff between the cap floor and the cap ceiling) more on payroll than the Pirates. And you would have a huge growing discrepancy on spending in scouting, research, and development.

As for Nova, I'm not upset he is gone. He was an innings eating 5th starter. Those guys have a place in this league. But they shouldn't be your highest paid starting pitcher. Dumping him for a cheaper option is a good move for most any team. However, if the cost savings for making that move ( and in this case dumping Nova and replacing with Jordan Lyles netted the Pirates $7M in cost savings) isn't rolled back into the payroll to strengthen other areas of the team then no one should fucking care unless you are rooting for Nutting's wallet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:45 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
I'll continue to stand by this. A cap wouldn't change the Pirates lot...not as long as Nutting is the owner. It would remove one excuse for this owners/front office. So more accountability, and in that regard it would be a good thing. But if there was a cap you can bet the Pirates would only hover at the floor of it (certainly not the ceiling) and they would short change in other areas where the cap doesn't factor. They'd be like the Bengals are in the NFL. Meaning they would have the smallest and lowest paid scouting and development staffs in the league. So you would basically have 80% of the league spending $30-$50M (the diff between the cap floor and the cap ceiling) more on payroll than the Pirates. And you would have a huge growing discrepancy on spending in scouting, research, and development.

As for Nova, I'm not upset he is gone. He was an innings eating 5th starter. Those guys have a place in this league. But they shouldn't be your highest paid starting pitcher. Dumping him for a cheaper option is a good move for most any team. However, if the cost savings for making that move ( and in this case dumping Nova and replacing with Jordan Lyles netted the Pirates $7M in cost savings) isn't rolled back into the payroll to strengthen other areas of the team then no one should fucking care unless you are rooting for Nutting's wallet.

I think a cap would help just a bit more than that, but I highly agree with the rest. The team wouldn't invest in a proper coaching staff. It's already evident that they can't draft and develop players, and that should have been their bread and butter since Huntington joined. His minimal success has come from a few years where he had decent nickel and dime trades and relied heavily on players drafted by Littlefield.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:07 pm 

They aren't trying to draft and develop,players
That would put them in the bind of public pressure to pay home grown stars.
They are purposely trying to get away with the bare minimum while,marketing the perception the are trying. Walking a fine line of false hope

I didn't watch last year and will,not watch the Pittsburgh pirates again
It breaks my heart as baseball was always m favourite and I rooted for them for 45 years

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:20 pm 

Back to Ivan Nova.. The guy deserves credit for being a class act. I read this on another message board.

Quote:
In 2017 the Pirates skipped him in a September start that he would have rather started. As a result, he missed out on a $1 million dollar bonus. He never complained or said a word.

In 2018 the second half of the season the Pirates gave some extra rest for all pitchers. If the season went one day longer, he would have started and received a $750,000 bonus. He never complained or said a word.

Actually, it is not quite true that he didn't say a word. He did say a few classy words. He was due to pitch game 162 which would have been a makeup game against the Marlins. This was a rescheduled game that only would have been played if necessary. The game was canceled. Here is what he said:

Quote:
“I would love to pitch, no matter if it’s for the bonus or not,” Nova said Monday, before the cancellation was announced. “I just want to go pitch. As long as you feel good, you want to keep pitching. A lot of the guys are ready to go home, now that we are eliminated from the playoffs. I’m excited I’m going to have another chance to pitch in two days.

“It was nothing I can control. We got rained out, I went on the DL, what happened with my family [a personal situation that caused Nova to be away from the team], I missed another start. I don’t think about that money.”

That is a pretty solid individual right there. A better franchise would have given him the bonus regardless. Example: https://sports.yahoo.com/yankees-sabath ... 54372.html

I wish Nova luck with the White Sox.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:20 pm 

Give Nova his bonus?

LOL

Nutting when it comes to money:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:16 pm 

instead of wins and losses in standings we should count nutting profits
. wallet watch ////if u will! 8-). the bullshit lies this owner and gm spew is trump worthy I must say! my fav is the deals for financial flexibility; and the we are ready to spend now! hilarious every season.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:25 pm 

Ivan Nova is hot garbage and dumping his over the hill ass and that absurd 9 million dollar plus quote was EXTREMELY positive.

Hopefully the turd burglar that is Francisco Cervelli is the next piece to go out the door.

Newly acquired Jordan Lyles and Kingham now have the opportunity to be used in the "OPENER" role that is the new wave approach for clubs like ours. I believe both can be highly effective as such.

The key to this winter is brining in a legit SS with range to bridge the gap until my man Cole Tucker is ready as Kevin Newman is a joke.

Supplant the pen with veteran LOOGY and we have a legit shot at the division with our elite pitching staff.

The 2019 version of the Bucs will be a fun group to watch 8-) you heard it here first 8-)

Elias Diaz will be an All Star along with Adam Frazier from the core positional group. Taillon will be on the bump as the NL starting pitcher in the same game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:35 pm 

ironzabo wrote:
Ivan Nova is hot garbage and dumping his over the hill ass and that absurd 9 million dollar plus quote was EXTREMELY positive.

Hopefully the turd burglar that is Francisco Cervelli is the next piece to go out the door.

Newly acquired Jordan Lyles and Kingham now have the opportunity to be used in the "OPENER" role that is the new wave approach for clubs like ours. I believe both can be highly effective as such.

The key to this winter is brining in a legit SS with range to bridge the gap until my man Cole Tucker is ready as Kevin Newman is a joke.

Supplant the pen with veteran LOOGY and we have a legit shot at the division with our elite pitching staff.

The 2019 version of the Bucs will be a fun group to watch 8-) you heard it here first 8-)

Elias Diaz will be an All Star along with Adam Frazier from the core positional group. Taillon will be on the bump as the NL starting pitcher in the same game.

Can't fool me, steel.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:02 pm 

Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly....never going to happen though. Cervelli is the Pirates PR department current sweetheart. A JAG that they push on the customers as a star.
Can you name the “walk up” music for any other Bucco other than FC? Me neither...
“When the moon hits your eye....”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:44 pm 

When will Huntington's staff draft and develop their first star player?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:54 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Quote:

I agree wholeheartedly....never going to happen though. Cervelli is the Pirates PR department current sweetheart. A JAG that they push on the customers as a star.
Can you name the “walk up” music for any other Bucco other than FC? Me neither...
“When the moon hits your eye....”

"Turd Burglar"

I can't stop laughing! :lol:

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:46 pm 

I believe Taillon is on the cusp of being ELITE in regard to the question about drafting and developing a "STAR" ....I also believe that Cole Tucker has the same mettle and top end athleticism that we haven't seen at the SS position in a generation.

They royally screwed the pooch with Elias Diaz by blocking him with Cervelli this long and he would have been an All Star already if not for the grossly fraudulent game they played with Cervelli as being a "cornerstone" piece for marketing purposes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:20 am 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
When will Huntington's staff draft and develop their first star player?

I am wondering when the Steelers will do this in their secondary.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:47 am 

I have never said on this site that I think Bob Nutting is an effective owner.

But I do know that MLB has no payroll balance due to no cap and if you think that fact doesn't effect the Pirates and other clubs and how they compete, operate and do business in this league, then you are an idiot.

According to Spotrac, the Jaguars have the highest payroll in the NFL at $199M. The Colts have the lowest at $145M, a $54M difference. The league average is $177M.

In MLB, according to Spotrac, the Red Sox had the highest payroll in 2018 at $227M. Tampa was at $69M, a difference of $158M. The League average was $139M.

The gap is wide.

A cap in MLB would be a good thing for the bottom third teams. This way, Bob Nutting would have no excuses. Just like Art2 now - no excuses. Its all on the team. That's the way it should be, not up to the players and their agents to choose. It should come down to team moves. The players are just chess pieces.

Or I would support the other way too. No cap, get rid of the bottom third teams, rename it International Baseball League - Mexico City, London, Japan, Cuba, Korea, etc. We would have a true World Series and a lot better situation than this piece of shit league today.

We have two mega star free agents right now in Bryce Harper and Manny Machado who are probably going to get paid $30M per year possibly. That is 22% of the current league average payroll. There are only a handful of the 30 teams who will sign them. BORING.

For all of the liberals on the site, we could make Bernie Sanders the new commissioner too

Stupid system.