It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sprong traded to Anaheim for D Marcus Pettersson
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:25 pm 

I don't know anything about Pettersson, but if we weren't going to use Sprong, then it's good to see him go.

Post subject: Re: Sprong traded to Anaheim for D Marcus Pettersson
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:31 pm 

Some tidbits gathered from reading some info on a Ducks message board....(ie, these are the opinions of the fans of the Ducks and not mine)

22 years old
Good skills and hockey IQ
Skinny, needs to put on some muscle
Pretty solid for Anaheim despite being so young
Viewed as a 6/7 fringe guy right now, but has the potential to possibly be a pretty good #4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:45 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Some tidbits gathered from reading some info on a Ducks message board....(ie, these are the opinions of the fans of the Ducks and not mine)

22 years old
Viewed as a 6/7 fringe guy right now, but has the potential to possibly be a pretty good #4

Wonderful- we need more 4/5 guys :roll:

I hope Sprong goes onto score 20 goals and shoves it up Sully's ass every time he plays against him.
Wasted opportunities to show what Sprong is or ISN"T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:16 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
I hope Sprong goes onto score 20 goals and shoves it up Sully's ass every time he plays against him.

Right there with you.
I hope Sprong succeeds in his new environment. Sullivan never,ever gave him a fair chance in Pittsburgh. That is ridiculous and shit for brains coaching.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:23 pm 

Not sure how you can pissed off about this move boys ?

Everything I know about the young Swede is that he is a gifted puck mover and has a keen sense for the back end. Not sure if you have noticed but our issue is GOAL PREVENTION.

We don't have any sense of commitment to playing D across the roster at this time. Brassard is likely next to go from all I am hearing around town.

Its time to accept that this crew as it is currently built is NOT a viable contender for the playoffs let alone a CUP run.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:31 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:

22 years old

Wonderful- we need more 4/5 guys :roll:

And another lefty defenseman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 pm 

ironzabo wrote:

Everything I know about the young Swede is that he is a gifted puck mover and has a keen sense for the back end. Not sure if you have noticed but our issue is GOAL PREVENTION.

We don't have any sense of commitment to playing D across the roster at this time. Brassard is likely next to go from all I am hearing around town.

Its time to accept that this crew as it is currently built is NOT a viable contender for the playoffs let alone a CUP run.

As far as the trade goes I'll give it some time to see what we got in return.

My issue is with Sullivan and his utter lack of giving Sprong proper evaluation. The kid was the top rated winger in the organization not with the big club. It was obvious that Sully didn't like Sprong from the start but he should have put his feelings aside and given the lad a fair chance.
Imagine if Sullivan had felt the same way about Guntzel? I know that Sully had him down in WBS but if he treated 59 the same way he might be gone.

The Pens have had their share of defensive breakdowns this year but I think that is focus and coaching. They have played stretches of good defense(West coast run back in November when they went undefeated) so we know they can get it done there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:33 am 

ironzabo wrote:

Are you serious about this roster? Look at it. You have 2 of the Top probably 7 C's in the league. The 3rd C could probably step in at 2C for at least half the teams. One of the top 5 snipers on the wing. A Top 3 net front guy in the league. A Norris conversation defender and a goalie who won back to back Cups.

The roster on paper is FINE. There are serious structural issues here to go along with some players having some terrible years.
The former is on Sullivan and I believe it's related to guys having some very poor performances. He doesn't put guys in position to succeed.

I don't know much about Petterson but even if he goes onto being a Norris candidate, it doesn't excuse the fact they fucked up Sprong's development.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:32 pm 

https://www.nhl.com/news/sidney-crosby- ... -302563782

On the offensive end, Pittsburgh's lack of secondary scoring has mostly come from a third line that has yet to jell with Derick Brassard centering left wing Zach Aston-Reese and right wing Phil Kessel.

Brassard has six points (two goals, four assists) in 16 games. Kessel is on a six-game goal drought after scoring 10 in his first 19 games, mostly on the second line with center Evgeni Malkin.

After the loss Saturday, Sullivan said he would consider breaking up that line before keeping it intact during line rushes Monday. How Sullivan has approached the third line is no different than how he'll treat the other three, he said. When and if it becomes necessary, change will come.

"There's always a fine line," Sullivan said. "When's the right time to split up a line, or when's the right time to allow guys to stay together and work through things? I think that's the coaches' instinct based on what we see. We'll make decisions daily based on what we see. It's not like our coaching staff is hesitant to make change, because we've certainly made a fair amount."

Sure dude,whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:13 pm 

I mean, injury has necessitated a good deal of it, but they have certainly been monkeying with the lines and defensive pairings quite a bit this season, honestly, more than I'd like.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 pm 

Yes Donnie -

"Are you serious about this roster? Look at it. You have 2 of the Top probably 7 C's in the league. The 3rd C could probably step in at 2C for at least half the teams. One of the top 5 snipers on the wing. A Top 3 net front guy in the league. A Norris conversation defender and a goalie who won back to back Cups.

The roster on paper is FINE. There are serious structural issues here to go along with some players having some terrible years.
The former is on Sullivan and I believe it's related to guys having some very poor performances. He doesn't put guys in position to succeed.

I don't know much about Petterson but even if he goes onto being a Norris candidate, it doesn't excuse the fact they fucked up Sprong's development."

None of the crew is interested in playing a lick of D or showing a commitment to get down and dirty right now.

Our defensive "CORE" is a joke right now with Maata and Johnson logging serious minutes as slow footed mopes.

There is still high end skill on the club but that means exactly jack squat if they have no desire to make a commitment to protect the 2 backups goalies that are who we have between the pipes right now.