It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Islanders 10-30-18
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 pm 

Isles making the most of their chances.

3 goals on 7 shots

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 pm 

3 goals on 7 shots and you can't blame Murray for two of them. Two piss poor changes have killed the Pens to this point.

Pens are playing well but bounces have gone the other way.

Can't believe the open ice the Islanders are giving the Pens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:27 pm 

That one is on Murray come on dude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:29 pm 

Gotta feel for Murray. Got hung out to dry tonight. Cant really fault him for much at all tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:32 pm 

Wow defense getting lit up - looks like Artie Burns out there

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:32 pm 

Defense looks atrocious. Stark contrast from the road trip. Every goal the islander player has been wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:34 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

The fourth one was on Murray for sure but Ruhwedel misplayed it.

Murray didn't look focused tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:35 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

The fourth one was on Murray for sure but Ruhwedel misplayed it.

Murray didn't look focused tonight.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:05 pm 

The second line was an embarrassment for the last 10 minutes of the second period.
I don't expect them to win but at least go out fighting the rest of the way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:09 pm 

Geno's not ready to concede this one, yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:23 pm 

Of course, Knuckle has to score.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:23 pm 

We're giving up goals to Kuhnackl now.

That kind of night.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 pm 

I don’t mind dropping a game but it somewhat agitates me that all of the emotion of this game was sucked out of the building because our defense played so bad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:16 am 

https://deadspin.com/penguins-include-b ... 1830114354

So apparently the Penguins' tribute wasn't done the "correct" way. Hilarious take

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:05 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
https://deadspin.com/penguins-include-blue-lives-matter-flag-in-ceremony-hon-1830114354

So apparently the Penguins' tribute wasn't done the "correct" way. Hilarious take

I saw that last night and just cringed.

And the worst part was I knew it was coming as soon as I saw them pull that flag out during the pregame ceremony.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:10 am 

I echo the comment in the deadspin thread. The police officer should have either held an 1) American flag or 2) the flag of Pittsburgh (which is quite cool looking).

This was a brief moment of mourning those that died, those that responded to the scene of the incident, and the entire community of Pittsburgh and yinzers around the world. It was not the time to use all of that as a platform for some other statement.

Flame away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:25 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
I echo the comment in the deadspin thread. The police officer should have either held an 1) American flag or 2) the flag of Pittsburgh (which is quite cool looking).

This was a brief moment of mourning those that died, those that responded to the scene of the incident, and the entire community of Pittsburgh and yinzers around the world. It was not the time to use all of that as a platform for some other statement.

Flame away.

What other statement does it make besides acknowledging police were killed? People have attached "xyz feeling" to every flag or other symbol that you can't do anything it seems without causing a stir.

The members of the Jewish community were recognized through the patches and honored with the 11 seconds of silence.

Try to remember that 11 people lost their lives in a hate crime. The damage goes well beyond those 11 people. Their families, friends, communities... all destroyed. Their feelings of safety are gone and I am sure every Jewish person in this country who wants to worship in peace will now wonder "will I be next"?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:32 am 

im not attaching meaning to that flag. That particular flag stands for something beyond just supplanting some red for black in a certain order. There is a story behind that flag and my opinion is at that moment it was not the right time to display it.

I agree with everything else you said. It’s a terrible tragedy and hit particularly hard considering my family and I were in the Burgh a month ago for the first time in about a decade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:53 am 

Orangesteel wrote:

Flame away.

So, I don't, at all, want this to spurn a political debate as I hate to see the mostly peaceful corner of Steelerfury known as the hockey threads get set on fire. So I'll state my opinion on it, then I'll be completely done talking about it and won't even respond to any other posts, even if they are directed at me. I hope everyone can do the same.

I'm very open minded, politically. I enjoy hearing and analyzing takes from both sides, to the extent where I purposely don't align with any party. Some people equate that to taking the easy way out or whatever. That's fine. As I look around at friends during these rather turbulent times where both sides are constantly attacking each other, I find it keeps me grounded and better able to sift through the BS to form more valid opinions that aren't influenced by viral media. If I see an article that conflicts with my personal beliefs, I want to read it. I want to get a sense where the writer is coming from and how he/she came to that conclusion. If I can read through it and not find any flaw in their thinking, then hey, maybe I'm wrong. If I do some flaw in the article's logic, that's information I can use to better understand where that side is coming from. So when I see some reactionary commentary on that topic, I'm prepared to say, "here's where you went off track on that thinking...". I'm generally not very vocal during political discussions because I want to hear the other person's viewpoint, unfiltered. I don't want them defending their opinion against mine, I want to hear their opinion, from start to finish, straight from their feelings. I'll even help along in their train of thought, even if I don't agree with it, to get all of that information. Hearing his/her full train of thought is much more important to me than me butting in and trying to be "right" (which is just going to end in an argument anyways). Then, once I have his/her side, then maybe I'll offer my opinion if I think it can change theirs. If its someone who I know isn't going to change their mind, I'll usually just let it go.

OK, that was a lot longer than I anticipated. But anyways, back to the flag thing.

I equate it to the Kaepernick vs Flag situation. The conservative side thinks its offensive because of its symbolism towards military/first responders. Liberals argue that Kaepernick isn't targeting that part of the flag's meaning, and is instead targeting the flag as a symbol of the nation's health as a whole.

I don't think either is wrong because I think flags are a symbol, and symbols can be interpreted however the person viewing it wants to. Soldiers most certainly do take flags with them on deployments and use it as a symbol of what they're fighting for. There's nothing wrong with that. That's what that symbol means to them. Kaepernick certainly sees it differently. He sees it as a symbol representing our country and all it contains, including the social health of it. He's not wrong. That's what it means to him. I have no issue with that. (I think the second part of the debate about whether he should be allowed to show those views when he's on the clock, or whether teams have the right to fire him and refuse to rehire him, are outside the scope of this discussion, so I'm not going to get into that).

So I view this situation with the Thin Blue Line/Blue Lives Matter flag in the same vein. I know plenty of police officers. I know why the flag exists, I know why they rally behind it. I understand their viewpoint. I also understand why the Black Live Matter folks have issue with it. From their perspective, it looks like a direct attack on their own movement. I don't personally think that's true, but I get why they'd think that. They started their movement, and not longer after, Blue Lives Matter popped up. My opinion is that if one group is allowed to have their rallying cry, the other should, too. But again, that's just my interpretation. They're allowed their own interpretation.

Now, should the Penguins have allowed that flag on the air? I personally had no problem with it for reasons stated above. But from a PR standpoint...well, that gets tricky. If they tell them they're not allowed to take it on the ice, and word spreads about that, you have a team with an overwhelmingly white fanbase questioning why it wasn't allowed. Because in this political climate, disallowing something from one side, seems to mean you support the other side, and I'm not sure sending that message to a hockey fanbase is a great move. On the other hand, allowing it potentially gets the other side angry. But I don't think that group is a huge part of their fanbase. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.

I've spent a few minutes looking, and frankly, I don't see this getting talked about that much, except for a couple very liberal places (such as Deadspin). So I'm inclined to say the Pens made the right move.

But hey, like anything else, that's just my opinion :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:06 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
im not attaching meaning to that flag.

That particular flag stands for something beyond just supplanting some red for black in a certain order. There is a story behind that flag and my opinion is at that moment it was not the right time to display it.

Do you see how your last 2 sentences contradict the first sentence?
You have attached meaning because you state "that particular flag stands for something..."

If I show a picture of a snake to 10 people, I'm sure half of them would say "that's a pretty cool animal" while another half would say "I fucking hate snakes, kill them all"
The object doesn't change, it's peoples' reactions to it.

To some the American flag is associated with distrust . To others (especially the military types) it evokes a sense of pride. Neither is right or wrong.

It's more disturbing to see people arguing about what the agenda was with the police and what not over just uniting. Virtue signaling at it's zenith