It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Oilers 10-23-18
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:35 pm 

We're there, Lipps. Johnson has sucked by, well, just being himself. I had hoped there might be a bit of a sea-change for his career coming to Pittsburgh, but so far, not so much. Will gladly eat crow if it happens, but not holding my breath. He and Maatta, as mentioned above, were beyond brutal last night.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:51 pm 

Ice wrote:
We're there, Lipps. Johnson has sucked by, well, just being himself. I had hoped there might be a bit of a sea-change for his career coming to Pittsburgh, but so far, not so much. Will gladly eat crow if it happens, but not holding my breath. He and Maatta, as mentioned above, were beyond brutal last night.

They're going to look especially bad vs teams with overall team speed. Not that they're all-world in other games, but they're serviceable vs a team that doesn't have sprinters (Edmonton/NJ come to mind).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:16 pm 

Ice wrote:

The worst part is that it really doesn't matter how bad Johnson is, or gets. They're probably never going to sit him. Too much money, and he's Sid's BFF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:05 pm 

It’s really nice to see Oleksiak step up on the offensive side of the puck. Dude seems to know when to rush it himself. He’s tough and has a nasty shot.

Beyond he and Tanger (who suddenly looks like a DPOY candidate again), our defensive players rarely get involved. That’s what makes SJ so dangerous this year with Burns and Karlsson. That’s two defensive lines that basically skate like there are 4 forwards on the ice. Great passers and awesome shooters. Wish we would have made a run at Karlsson.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:45 pm 

Just watched Sid’s goal a few more times.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that was SWEET!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:37 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
It’s really nice to see Oleksiak step up on the offensive side of the puck. Dude seems to know when to rush it himself. He’s tough and has a nasty shot.

Beyond he and Tanger (who suddenly looks like a DPOY candidate again), our defensive players rarely get involved. That’s what makes SJ so dangerous this year with Burns and Karlsson. That’s two defensive lines that basically skate like there are 4 forwards on the ice. Great passers and awesome shooters. Wish we would have made a run at Karlsson.

Yeah, but the flip side to that is SJ doesn't have anything close to the forward depth that Pittsburgh has. Every team has a weakness.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:18 am 

McDavid is a very good, gifted player - but Sid's goal was unreal and speaks not only to his talent but his preparation and work ethic, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:54 am 

Every once in a while Sid enters the Matrix.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:56 am 

Pabst, I don’t disagree with you but there are a whole bunch of forwards on this team that aren’t doing much right now. Rust, Brassard, Sheehan, etc. These dudes need to step up.