It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pens vs Canucks 10-16-18
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:44 pm 

DeSmith is in goal with Murray backing him up.

It is only 2 weeks into the season but looking at the conference standings one has to be surprised. Carolina, Ottawa, NJ, and Buffalo are all ahead of Pittsburgh, Washington, and Tampa.

One other thing, McDavid and Crosby don't figure into the top fifty scorers either.

Penguins projected lineup
Jake Guentzel -- Sidney Crosby -- Derick Brassard

Carl Hagelin -- Evgeni Malkin -- Phil Kessel

Patric Hornqvist -- Riley Sheahan -- Bryan Rust

Dominik Simon -- Matt Cullen -- Daniel Sprong

Brian Dumoulin -- Kris Letang

Jack Johnson -- Jamie Oleksiak

Olli Maatta -- Juuso Riikola

Casey DeSmith

Matt Murray

Scratched: Chad Ruhwedel, Derek Grant

Injured: Justin Schultz (left leg fracture)

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Canucks 10-16-18
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:42 pm 

Someone remind me why Jack Johnson is on this team?

Fails to keep the puck in the offensive zone then boneheaded defensive play to give up the goal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:56 pm 

Another slow start, 5 SOG in a period. If not for a leaky goal and some misses on numerous odd breaks by the Canucks the Pens could be looking at a bigger deficit.

I don't know what Johnson was doing chasing the puck behind his net on the second goal but there was a Pen defender on the puck. That left the winger(Sutter) open on the goal line. Malkin couldn't make up the ground to contest Sutter. Go back and look at the goal the Pens were in disarray on it.

Every game this year the Pens have looked to me like the slower team.

Time for the boys to have a dominant period.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:01 pm 

I’m all for the “exchange” but with Dumo chasing behind the net Johnson better be damn sure he can make a play on the puck if he’s going to completely abandon his responsibilities.

Agreed totally about them looking slow and in disarray. I don’t like what I’ve seen in the defensive zone at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:00 pm 

Where is that 'second' period team?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:24 pm 

Hags!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:33 pm 

DeSmith let’s in the high snipe. That sucked

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
Someone remind me why Jack Johnson is on this team?

Fails to keep the puck in the offensive zone then boneheaded defensive play to give up the goal.

Honestly don’t get this move at the length and amount committed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:30 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
I’m all for the “exchange” but with Dumo chasing behind the net Johnson better be damn sure he can make a play on the puck if he’s going to completely abandon his responsibilities.

Agreed totally about them looking slow and in disarray. I don’t like what I’ve seen in the defensive zone at all.

I hate defending JJ, but there is another person at fault here: Malkin

If JJ just stands there, then the question is "why didn't someone stop the Van player from getting to the front of the net?". I believe JJ sees he has help (Malkin) coming down low to fill when he leaves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

I hate defending JJ, but there is another person at fault here: Malkin

If JJ just stands there, then the question is "why didn't someone stop the Van player from getting to the front of the net?". I believe JJ sees he has help (Malkin) coming down low to fill when he leaves.

A lot of missed assignments on that goal. Dumo had the chase and man so why did JJ have to add to the chase? Malkin was late recognizing it and is in part to blame. Guentzel was strolling around about ten feet in front of the net leaving Desmith all by himself in goal.
Too many forwards high and both D men chasing behind their net and Sutter just has to make sure he gets it on the net. Costly.

How about that shit change on the goal in OT? Crosby leaves the ice and you don't see another Pen jump onto the ice leaving it to a 3 on 2. DeSmith has to stop that shot.

At least the Pens played a good second period, that was encouraging but something isn't right with this group.

Five games in and Crosby(0) and Malkin(1) have a goal between them. Lots of players with goose eggs for stats. This team shouldn't have this much trouble scoring.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:01 am 

Agreed on the shit change in OT. 3 on 3 hockey that is a big no no

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:13 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:22 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

How about that shit change on the goal in OT? Crosby leaves the ice and you don't see another Pen jump onto the ice leaving it to a 3 on 2. DeSmith has to stop that shot.

I didn't get to see the game (wife claimed the main TV, so I decided to do some work in my TV-less office), so i didn't it. But that'd be 2 games in a row where a change by Sid cost us. He shared some of the blame on Malkin's Too Many Men penalty the previous game when he coasted towards the bench while the other team was starting a rush the other way.

Just a lot of dumb mental mistakes with this team right now. Very much like the Steelers. The good news is that mental mistakes are the easiest to fix. Which is why I'm not going to get too concerned with it right now, this early in the season. But it definitely needs fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

I didn't get to see the game (wife claimed the main TV, so I decided to do some work in my TV-less office), so i didn't it. But that'd be 2 games in a row where a change by Sid cost us. He shared some of the blame on Malkin's Too Many Men penalty the previous game when he coasted towards the bench while the other team was starting a rush the other way.

Just a lot of dumb mental mistakes with this team right now. Very much like the Steelers. The good news is that mental mistakes are the easiest to fix. Which is why I'm not going to get too concerned with it right now, this early in the season. But it definitely needs fixed.

I wasn't blaming Sid, he got off the ice but no one came onto the ice. Someone wasn't paying attention on the Pens bench, be it a player or coach. Sid had been out there for nearly 40 seconds. Looking at the play by play it might be Malkin's fault or a coaches.

Changes were an issue all last season.
I'm worried about the lack of scoring. Worried about all the odd breaks being given up. If the Canucks were on their game in the first period last night they might have buried the BIrdies early.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm 

Sid certainly doesn't look like himself. He's been losing the puck in contested situations, something that happens not nearly at all when he's on his game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:23 pm 

I think Crosby played his best game of the season to date last night.

I would also question his effort before that. I'm not going to rail on him about that so much because of his body of work.

I didn't like Brassard with him and Guentzel but last night I saw some good things from those three.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:09 pm 

Quote:
I think Crosby played his best game of the season to date last night.

That is also true... but, in general both top lines are trying too hard to make pretty cross ice passes vs defenses that are clogging the middle. That is, when they're not trying to beat defenders 1 on 3.