It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pens vs Golden Knights 10-11-18
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:24 pm 

DeSmith vs Subban(possibly). Unlikely that Flower is a go tonight.
Vegas is coming to the end of a rough road trip so send them home with another bad defeat tonight.
Riikola

Penguins projected lineup
Jake Guentzel -- Sidney Crosby -- Patric Hornqvist

Carl Hagelin -- Evgeni Malkin -- Phil Kessel

Dominik Simon -- Derick Brassard -- Bryan Rust

Matt Cullen -- Riley Sheahan -- Daniel Sprong

Brian Dumoulin -- Kris Letang

Jack Johnson -- Justin Schultz

Jamie Oleksiak -- Juuso Riikola

Casey DeSmith

Tristan Jarry

Scratched: Chad Ruhwedel, Olli Maatta

Injured: Matt Murray (concussion)

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Golden Knights 10-11-18
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:43 pm 

LGP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 pm 

Just saw an interview with Riikola.
He went to the Evgeni Malkin school for speaking English good. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 pm 

Thrill!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:08 pm 

Ice wrote:
Thrill!

Man, that whole play was reminiscent of Malkin and Neal from the past. Nice FO win by Malkin and Kessel with the laser.

Riikola looked damn good that first period. 3 shots and 2 blocks and some nice skating to keep the PP going.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:20 pm 

Again!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:27 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Again!

Beat me to it. And agreed on Riikola. Man, if he works out, there's another feather in the Rutherford cap.

Speaking of which, does Brassard have to suit up for the VGK for the 3rd period, since, you know, they're paying him?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:35 pm 

The Hat Trick!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 pm 

Malkin needs to stop those goddam passes to center ice from low in our own end.

Could have easily given up a goal in those last 10 seconds.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 pm 

That was a stupid pass by him but I don't recall him doing it so far this season and to add upon that he has been dominant tonight. Won significant FO's, cleaned up in his own end(the first Kessel goal is a prime example of such) and he has been physical.
DeSmith was stellar that last few minutes of the second period.

I'm curious why Sully moved Rust for Horny? Why can't he give Guentzel some time with other centers?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:04 pm 

The Hat Trick!

The Kessel Run in less than 20 parsecs!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:05 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

That was a stupid pass by him but I don't recall him doing it so far this season and to add upon that he has been dominant tonight. Won significant FO's, cleaned up in his own end(the first Kessel goal is a prime example of such) and he has been physical.

I'm curious why Sully moved Rust for Horny? Why can't he give Guentzel some time with other centers?

Did it in the first game to give up an immediate goal in the third period.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ResponsibleDirectAegeancat-mobile.mp4

Agree he's playing really well overall, but that's a huge mistake that just can't be made.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:12 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

Did it in the first game to give up an immediate goal in the third period.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ResponsibleDirectAegeancat-mobile.mp4

Agree he's playing really well overall, but that's a huge mistake that just can't be made.

When going up the ice along the boards, Malkin isn't the guy to carry the puck. His preclusion to fuck ups there are known on both sides.
Malkin is a risk/reward player.

That said, where is Crosby?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:12 pm 

I'll reserve judgment on DeSmith till the final whistle, but that was my biggest concern going in.

Wonder what the balance is going to be between he and Jarry going forward, though.

Where's Crosby is an interesting question. The Caps put effort into stopping Malkin and Crosby, because they had the horses; got burned by defense, PP and the bottom two lines. Vegas appears to be working hard on Crosby, getting killed by Malkin's line. This is one the things I love about this team when they're firing on all cylinders. It's pretty much pick your poison.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
When going up the ice along the boards, Malkin isn't the guy to carry the puck. His preclusion to fuck ups there are known on both sides.

So that excuses him to just lob the puck into the middle of the ice in front of his own net? Give me a break. Pee Wee players know better than that.

Crosby isn't handing the puck to the other team for prime scoring chances, that's what he's doing.

And we went over this last season, but apparently I need to rehash it.

I love Malkin. 100%. Have and wear his jersey. But he does dumb shit. Things well beyond being a "risk/reward" player. Crosby on his off days still doesn't do nearly as much dumb shit as Malkin does (note: I didn't say never).

I don't care how much talent a guy has, or even how much I love watching him play. There's no excuse for being stupid with the puck in your own end.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 pm 

Good for Thrill. Broke the seal, now let the points flow.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:44 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

Hell yeah.

And, uh, let's not rush Murray back from that concussion.

I know Vegas hasn't been lighting up the goal lamp much lately, but man did De Smith look good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:48 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

Hell yeah.

And, uh, let's not rush Murray back from that concussion.

I know Vegas hasn't been lighting up the goal lamp much lately, but man did De Smith look good.

Agreed he was really solid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

So that excuses him to just lob the puck into the middle of the ice in front of his own net? Give me a break. Pee Wee players know better than that.

Crosby isn't handing the puck to the other team for prime scoring chances, that's what he's doing.

And we went over this last season, but apparently I need to rehash it.

I love Malkin. 100%. Have and wear his jersey. But he does dumb shit. Things well beyond being a "risk/reward" player. Crosby on his off days still doesn't do nearly as much dumb shit as Malkin does (note: I didn't say never).

I just said he fucked that up but thanks for the scolding. We went over this last season-are you some kind of hockey authority that I can't call out?
His transgression didn't cost the team tonight but if/when it does be sure to post about it-I will call him out for it. I'll take the Malkin we saw tonight again and again. Sully put him out there in the tough minutes when the game was in the balance tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:52 pm 

Sheesh guys. Have a beer. Great win. Now have victories tallied against both Finals participants in the young season, DeSmith looks decent, Hot Dog is in his groove, some beast mode Malkin, maybe another off the radar surprise in Riikola; life's not bad. Let's go Pens!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:18 am 

If you recall last year, DeSmith was on like a 4 game win streak where he looked phenomenal and so did the whole team.
Then they had one of their mandated breaks where the Pens didn't play for like 4/5 days. Then DeSmith came back down to earth and Murray was recovered from his injury

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 am 

I would like to see Jarry get some time. I'm getting pretty convinced Murray may not be the long term answer in goal, and Jarry is about it for our replacement pipeline.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:37 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
If you recall last year, DeSmith was on like a 4 game win streak where he looked phenomenal and so did the whole team.
Then they had one of their mandated breaks where the Pens didn't play for like 4/5 days. Then DeSmith came back down to earth and Murray was recovered from his injury

Caufield mentioned that last night b/n periods.

I liked how DeSmith competed after allowing that first goal which I think he would like back. After that, he seemed possessed and really stymied the GK time and time again. He certainly had a big hand in the victory.

After the second breakaway, I got to thinking that the Pens saw something that Vegas was giving away in the middle of the ice. I wondered if they didn't practice it because both Hagelin and Malkin didn't shy away from tossing it from deep in their own end up the middle of the ice looking for a streaking Kessel.

Still haven't seen enough of Johnson to have an opinion of him but I wouldn't sweat it if Maata came back for Oleksiak. I thought the big guy wasn't too good last night.

The Rust/Horny swap was interesting. Not sure who that was Sully was trying to spark because I thought Horny came out strong last night. Rust did seem to play a little better on the top line and his speed there might be a good thing.

At least we don't have to wait 4/5 days for the next game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:16 am 

Totes McGoats. I like how we have the opportunity to beat the Habs in their barn after getting rolled last Saturday. Might even enjoy it with a brew or two!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:12 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Caufield mentioned that last night b/n periods.

I liked how DeSmith competed after allowing that first goal which I think he would like back. After that, he seemed possessed and really stymied the GK time and time again. He certainly had a big hand in the victory.

After the second breakaway, I got to thinking that the Pens saw something that Vegas was giving away in the middle of the ice. I wondered if they didn't practice it because both Hagelin and Malkin didn't shy away from tossing it from deep in their own end up the middle of the ice looking for a streaking Kessel.

Still haven't seen enough of Johnson to have an opinion of him but I wouldn't sweat it if Maata came back for Oleksiak. I thought the big guy wasn't too good last night.

The Rust/Horny swap was interesting. Not sure who that was Sully was trying to spark because I thought Horny came out strong last night. Rust did seem to play a little better on the top line and his speed there might be a good thing.

At least we don't have to wait 4/5 days for the next game.

I end up muting all the between periods and post game stuff :lol:

Very happy to see Sully make the change to Rikkola. You have to assume Maata eventually gets back in. Question is: for who?

As for Rust, he always has a game or 2 where he looks great with Sid, but then he goes back to being ass with him. I'm ok with that approach to change things up and change the energy, but it seems like Sully stuck too long w/ Rust on Line 1 the last couple seasons when it clearly doesn't work long term