It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:57 pm 

bam morris wrote:
sid looks in top form in all star game! MVP. :D personally id rather he was resting his old bones for the stretch run!

Sid looked awesome last night. I expect the run to start tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:23 pm 

Sid's still the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:44 pm 

Feels great to get rid of low-IQ Oleksiak. He should have never been re-signed. With Brassard leaving, hopefully for a first from a team like Winnipeg, the Pens should be able to make a run at a quality player or two. This move was a must, and I'm really glad it happened without too much more delay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:05 pm 

Teddy Blueger was just brought up from WBS. Should we be reading anything into this?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:06 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Teddy Blueger was just brought up from WBS. Should we be reading anything into this?

He is a center.
I don't think anyone is in Sully's doghouse right now and JJ was the only one to get hurt in last nights game. Sadly, JJ is going to be fine and ready for tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:42 am 

Pabst wrote:

My initial take was: Brass got traded or 1 of the F's was hurt
Unfortunately doesn't look like that's the case.

If Sully was smart, he'd throw TB into the fire immediately at 3C

Jake-Sid- Rust
Brass- G - Horny
Pearson - TB - Phil
Simon can slide up and down the lineup

But what you're more likely to see TB as a winger on the 4th line...yippee fuckin skippy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:18 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
But what you're more likely to see TB as a winger on the 4th line...yippee fuckin skippy

Well....
Rutherford is saying "We haven't been in a position where we've had to call up a center. Teddy doesn't play the wing. He only plays center....I don't see [him getting a chance] with the guys we have here now".

Make of that what you will.
https://twitter.com/JMackeyPG/status/1090398958608891905/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:10 pm 

Good news: Schultz was full contact at practice today. Skated with Ruh and on the 2nd PP team.

Bad news: Malkin didn't practice (though he did skate).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:00 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Good news: Schultz was full contact at practice today. Skated with Ruh and on the 2nd PP team.

Bad news: Malkin didn't practice (though he did skate).

Yea I'm pretty sure his hand got wrecked in the "fight" with Stamkos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:24 pm 

Could there be a return of HBK as the #3 Pens line?

Hornqvist-Bjugstad-Kessel seems like it might work, particularly if they can figure out who plays with Malkin.

What's your most ideal 4 lines?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:19 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Hornqvist-Bjugstad-Kessel seems like it might work, particularly if they can figure out who plays with Malkin.

For me that's hard to answer until I see more of what Bjugs and Mcann bring.

But I think Rust and Geno need to remain a pair regardless. Geno needs that puck retriever guy...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

For me that's hard to answer until I see more of what Bjugs and Mcann bring.

But I think Rust and Geno need to remain a pair regardless. Geno needs that puck retriever guy...

Also, I just realized that Hornqvist-Bjugstad-Kessel are all right-handed shots, which seems like a bad use of that resource.
I'll give it a shot:

Guentzel-CrosGod-ZAR
Rust-Geno-Simon
Hornqvist-Bjugstad-Kessel
Blueger-Cullen-Wilson

Scratched: Pearson, McCann

OR

Guentzel-CrosGod-Simon
Rust-Geno-Hornqvist
ZAR-Bjugstad-Kessel
Blueger-Cullen-Wilson

Scratched: Pearson, McCann

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:44 pm 

Has Hornqvist ever been on a line with Kessel? Also, it seems like Malkin and Hornqvist never play well together (I could be wrong there). What I think will happen:

Guentzel - Crosby - Simon
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Pearson - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Some combo of Cullen/Blueger/McCann - ZAR

- Guentzel and Crosby is about as obvious as it gets. Simon's best asset is that he knows where to be on the ice. He's a fine compliment to Jake & Sid
- Malkin and Phil have clicked in the past. Keep Rust there for reasons Donnie mentioned
- 3rd line - Bjugstad is a good possession guy, and both he and Pearson like to shoot. Let them rip shots and Horny cleans up near the crease.
- 4th line - screw around with this and see what works. Any of Cullen, Teddy, and McCann can play LW or C.

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
Pettersson - Johnson (sadly)

- I would really like to see Johnson scratched, but it won't happen. Other combos are straightforward.

Scratches: Wilson, Riikola, Cullen/Blueger/McCann
Ruhwedel goes back to WBS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:52 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Has Hornqvist ever been on a line with Kessel? Also, it seems like Malkin and Hornqvist never play well together (I could be wrong there). What I think will happen:

Rust - Malkin - Kessel

- Guentzel and Crosby is about as obvious as it gets. Simon's best asset is that he knows where to be on the ice. He's a fine compliment to Jake & Sid
- Malkin and Phil have clicked in the past. Keep Rust there for reasons Donnie mentioned
- 3rd line - Bjugstad is a good possession guy, and both he and Pearson like to shoot. Let them rip shots and Horny cleans up near the crease.
- 4th line - screw around with this and see what works. Any of Cullen, Teddy, and McCann can play LW or C.

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Schultz

- I would really like to see Johnson scratched, but it won't happen. Other combos are straightforward.

Horny and Kessel don't strike me as two players who could exist together. They're complete, 100% opposites. And there's scenarios where that might work in a complementary way, but I don't think this is one of those. I envision Kessel getting more and more frustrated with every shift as Horny botches more and more fast break opportunities.

And I understand your line of thinking. Horny creates havoc down low, which should open things up for Kessel to unleash his shot. Take their personalities away and it could theoretically work. I just don't see Kessel being OK with it for a substantial period of time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:58 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Horny and Kessel don't strike me as two players who could exist together. They're complete, 100% opposites. And there's scenarios where that might work in a complementary way, but I don't think this is one of those. I envision Kessel getting more and more frustrated with every shift as Horny botches more and more fast break opportunities.

And I understand your line of thinking. Horny creates havoc down low, which should open things up for Kessel to unleash his shot. Take their personalities away and it could theoretically work. I just don't see Kessel being OK with it for a substantial period of time.

Just to clarify - i'm the one saying they shouldn't be paired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:08 pm 

Quote:
Rust - Malkin - Kessel

I like this.

Regarding the defense, I’m a fan of Riikola. I think you give JJ 5 more games to turn it around or you bench his ass for Riikola and stick him with Pettersen. I actually think a Riikola-Pettersen pairing would be solid. We need to stop catering to JJ to make the contract look even remotely worth it. It’s not working and we are in position to make a run, so play the best players, period.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:12 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Pabst wrote:

Rust - Malkin - Kessel

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Schultz

Last year or 2 seasons ago they tried Horny at LW and Phil at RW and it was middling results at best
Problem is that if you move Horny to LW, you're asking him to win most of his board battles (what he does best) on his backhand

Sid and Geno despise playing with Horny because he's not a gifted passer and they both want the puck in transition (obviously). He can't work the give and go that they prefer. He also will sometimes take away a shooting lane by being in front of the net
But what they don't appreciate is the space he provides them so they don't have to do the dirty work. Not everyone can be a prime Kunitz who is a monster on the boards, can pass/shoot, etc- he was a complete hockey player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 pm 

^

All great points Donnie which is why the Pearson - Jugs - Horny line intrigues me. That could be a big mismatch as a 3rd line and the Bleuger - McCann - Cullen line could wreak havoc as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:56 pm 

McCann isn't half the defensive player Wilson is, even though Wilson might be as bad at finishing as any player ever. Wilson also seems to be creating opportunities for others. Never thought I would be a fan when he first came up, but I think Blueger-Cullen-Wilson is a better line. Still waiting to see some sign of what they see in McCann. And don't get me started on Pens-era Pearson.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:34 pm 

Wilson sucks.

ZAR has grown on me over the course of the year. His skating will never be great, but it has improved. He has a nice blend of puck moves, net-front presence, body size, finish, and two-way play to be the perfect 4RW for Blueger and Cullen.

Hornqvist/Kessel with Malkin doesn't make any sense that's why it's rarely been tried.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:12 pm 

McCann and Pearson, not sure either was traded for to get scratched.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:57 am 

The playoff standings are pretty tight. This is going to be a stressful couple of months unfortunately. Wouldn't surprise me to fall out of a playoff spot for a bit before the season ends.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:01 pm 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Wilson sucks.

ZAR has grown on me over the course of the year. His skating will never be great, but it has improved. He has a nice blend of puck moves, net-front presence, body size, finish, and two-way play to be the perfect 4RW for Blueger and Cullen.

Hornqvist/Kessel with Malkin doesn't make any sense that's why it's rarely been tried.

IDK, man... I know everyone loves to hate on Wilson, but he looks pretty good in the advanced stats... at least he seems involved and doesn't disappear like some other guys near the bottom of the roster. In the role they're asking him to play, he's doing a good job.

But, yeah, if you're not going to use ZAR in the Kunitz role on one of the top 3 lines, then Blueger-Cullen-ZAR is a pretty good 4th line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:58 pm 

Pens Inside Scoop

@PensInsideScoop
Coach Sullivan said it was not a maintenance day for Murray. “He’s been evaluated for an upper-body injury. That’s all I have right now.” He clarified it was not a concussion. -MC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:44 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Pens Inside Scoop

@PensInsideScoop
Coach Sullivan said it was not a maintenance day for Murray. “He’s been evaluated for an upper-body injury. That’s all I have right now.” He clarified it was not a concussion. -MC

Hopefully it is nothing but I'm starting to worry about the china-doll syndrome with #30.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next