It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Penguins Regular Season Thread 2018-19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
If Hornqvist, Letang, Crosby, Guentzel, Phil, Geno, Murray are healthy, this team could win anything. That's as good a core as ANYBODY has. If they can move Jack Johnson, Boussard, & Oleksiak for something good... sky's the limit. Hornqvist might be the most crucial piece who doesn't get talked about enough.

I’d like to move Jack Johnson to a waste basket.

I don't think anyone was harder on JJ than I was in the first 1/3 of the season.

But, the west coast trip aside, JJ's been better since he got paired with Petterson. Maybe even passable as a bottom pair guy. Horribly overpriced for that position of course, but passable.

I don't think you're getting much back in a trade for him anyways with that contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:59 am 

Joseph Blandisi=Championship.

And you're right, LLS. Johnson has been considerably less offensive on that pairing. Which, to me, says very good things about Petterson going forward.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:15 am 

Pabst wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
So.

I haven't watched any penguin hockey but highlights. Skimmed the threads here.

What's the best group think about where this team is headed? Surprisingly enough, I think the fury hockey brain trust is more sensible and level headed than its opinion of the steelers. For now.

Anyway, I'd love for the hockey gurus here to give me some clear and concise evaluation of the 2018-19 Pittsburgh Penguins.

Thanks in advance.

Not a guru, but my thoughts:
Schultz coming back will be a big boost to the defense. I'd assume they pair him with Maatta and roll with
Letang-Dumo
Schultz-Maatta
Petterson-JJ

The Pens will either deal Oleksiak (hopefully) or send Ruhwedel or Riikola to WBS.

Issue #2 is Center depth - Brassard ain't doing it, and neither Sheahan or Cullen is a #3 C. Rutherford will probably need to work some magic again, because I'm not sure how you get a quality Center for Brassard without working a 3 team deal. Beyond that, the Pens seemed to have figured out their lines and are good at Forward barring injury....hopefully Hornqvist can get/stay healthy down the stretch. Ditto ZAR.

Looking around the Metro, there are really only 3 other teams to worry about, and each one has flaws:
- Washington has depth issues
- Columbus can't score and goaltending has been a major issue
- The Islanders aren't as good as their record indicates.

In the Atlantic, Tampa is fucking scary, and Toronto is damn good as well. Thankfully (in contrast to recent years) the Pens could benefit this year from the NHL's messed up playoff system. Beyond that, Boston, Montreal, and Buffalo don't scare anybody.

Realistically, my expectations will be conference finals. Anything short of that and I'm pissed.

Good summary

Horny to me is the critical piece...it's amazing how much space he creates out there for his team.
I'm not as high on Schultz being able to return to form. I mean being out for that long and expecting someone to just seamlessly ease in doesn't seem realistic. But he is a Right hand shot, which is HUGE

I hope people are admiring Letang's play because it's miles better than what he was last year. He's probably in the top 3 most valuable players on this team considering his replacements on D are so below him in terms of talent. He's just been flat out amazing.

I think the 1st and 2nd lines are finally figured out, but the 3rd line is still a question mark and that is all due to Brassard not fitting. 4th Sheahan looks lost as a Wing but seems way more comfortable at C. The problem is that Matt Cullen has the same issue

Matt Murray seems to be rounding back into what we thought he was: pretty darn good goalie. Will never be "elite", but a solid guy if he stays healthy, but that again is a question mark- dude looks like a string bean and needs to add muscle to his frame.

I think Brass leaving will cause JR to search for a more defensive minded 3C in the mold of Bonino. Guy who is hard in the corners and blocks shots and basically "give the puck to Phil when/where he wants it"
What is weird is that JUST BEFORE we acquired Brass, Sheahan was doing fine with Phil and Rust...seemed like pretty good chemistry with those 3.

But I do hope that JR is looking for defensive help moreso than F help. Jettisoning Jack Johnson and Olek would go a long way to solving the team's defensive issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:30 pm 

That was a nice write up by Pabst.

I agree with Brasco that Schultz is going to struggle when he finally comes back. Hopefully he has enough time to find his game before the playoffs.
A defensive minded third center wouldn't be the worst thing.

I'd like to replace both JJ and Oleksiak but I'll settle for moving one of them.

I think a big part of a run is Malkin returning to form. Last year he wasn't a factor(very) in the playoffs with a knee injury but he was dominant in the regular season. If we get dominant Malkin for the playoffs we are going to be a tough team to eliminate.

Sure, Tampa is loaded but they seem to choke in the playoffs recently. The last two years they had a 3-2 series lead in the conference final only to lose both series.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:31 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
I think Brass leaving will cause JR to search for a more defensive minded 3C in the mold of Bonino. Guy who is hard in the corners and blocks shots and basically "give the puck to Phil when/where he wants it"

Just a thought here - Could you fill that defensive minded/corners/shot blocker role with Ferland and play Sheahan at 3C?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:11 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Just a thought here - Could you fill that defensive minded/corners/shot blocker role with Ferland and play Sheahan at 3C?

Well that's the weird thing about this: you wonder if they have enough confidence with Sheahan to do such a thing, partly bc he indeed did do it last year.

JR is basically talking as if Brass is off the roster, so wouldn't surprise me if he was gone by tomorrow's game

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:59 pm 

Quote:
What is weird is that JUST BEFORE we acquired Brass, Sheahan was doing fine with Phil and Rust...seemed like pretty good chemistry with those 3.

I said it at the time. I asked: "could Brassard play C4 since Sheehan seems to be such a great fit at C3."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:10 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:

I said it at the time. I asked: "could Brassard play C4 since Sheehan seems to be such a great fit at C3."

Be unprecedented in terms of a guys name and salary to be forced to 4c. Be a major insult

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:02 pm 

https://sports.yahoo.com/31-takes-willi ... 26209.html

"Minus of the Weekend

Jack Johnson was a minus-4 against Vegas on Saturday night. He’s been on the ice for 54 goals against so far this season, almost 38 percent of all Penguins goals allowed. Great contract."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:08 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
https://sports.yahoo.com/31-takes-william-nylander-bad-player-ruined-maple-leafs-ashamed-150026209.html

"Minus of the Weekend

Jack Johnson was a minus-4 against Vegas on Saturday night. He’s been on the ice for 54 goals against so far this season, almost 38 percent of all Penguins goals allowed. Great contract."

He was god awful Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:52 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
https://sports.yahoo.com/31-takes-william-nylander-bad-player-ruined-maple-leafs-ashamed-150026209.html

"Minus of the Weekend

I'd like to see a breakdown of that by month. I suspect a disproportionate amount of those came in the first quarter of the season. I mean, there was one stretch where he as on the ice for something like 8 goals in 2 games.

Of course, the other side of that is that there was a stretch where the entire team was playing better defense. So JJ may have very well have been on the ice for a similar percentage of goals, but the actual number would have still been significantly lower.

Point being, I agree he was bad during this west coast trip, but he was relatively solid before that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:54 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

"Minus of the Weekend

I'd like to see a breakdown of that by month. I suspect a disproportionate amount of those came in the first quarter of the season. I mean, there was one stretch where he as on the ice for something like 8 goals in 2 games.

Of course, the other side of that is that there was a stretch where the entire team was playing better defense. So JJ may have very well have been on the ice for a similar percentage of goals, but the actual number would have still been significantly lower.

Point being, I agree he was bad during this west coast trip, but he was relatively solid before that.

Yes when Petterson arrived, he's been carrying JJ and then a stretch where Letang carried JJ. Funny how decent defensemen can only carry an anchor for so long until it unravels.

There are 2 names when it comes to Pitt sports nowadays that makes my blood boil with irrational anger:

Mike Tomlin and
Jack Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:17 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

"Minus of the Weekend

Yes when Petterson arrived, he's been carrying JJ and then a stretch where Letang carried JJ. Funny how decent defensemen can only carry an anchor for so long until it unravels.

There are 2 names when it comes to Pitt sports nowadays that makes my blood boil with irrational anger:

Mike Tomlin and
Jack Johnson

I disagree. I mean, yes, he's been the worse player on both of those pairings, but I don't think he's been terrible in his own right. And again, I'm not making a case for him to be an all-star, or even to say his contract is even remotely justifiable (because it isn't).

I'm only saying that if we really do have to stick with him for the rest of the season (and all signs point that we do), it can be made to work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm 

Quote:
I disagree. I mean, yes, he's been the worse player on both of those pairings, but I don't think he's been terrible in his own right. And again, I'm not making a case for him to be an all-star, or even to say his contract is even remotely justifiable (because it isn't).

I'm only saying that if we really do have to stick with him for the rest of the season (and all signs point that we do), it can be made to work.

I don't know, JJ is a really really dumb player. Hopefully there is a trade to push him even further down the roster but you can't hide a defender forever (even a 3rd pairing guy).

Seems like Olek is on his way out with Petterson/Rikkola. Can only hope JJ is the next guy eating nachos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:04 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:

Be unprecedented in terms of a guys name and salary to be forced to 4c. Be a major insult

Can't look at it that way-- Pens are a team that can roll out 4 great lines and Brassard fits there, often matched up vs the other team's best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:22 pm 

He'd probably be okay with it for the remainder if this season if the team is on a serious roll to a Cup run.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:40 pm 

Brassard is a -7 in 39 games played this year with only 8 goals. He should have zero room to pout about where he plays given those numbers. He isn’t working out.

ZAR and Sheahan might score more goals than Brassard this year. Likely that Simon does.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:46 pm 

The logistics of Brassard at 4C really don't line up too well for several reasons. In a perfect world in which every player on the team is producing to their abilities, Brassard on the 4th line with the forward lines getting near equal playing time would be a perfect scenario. Here's the problems you're going to run into.

1) Brassard is not playing quality hockey, despite his teammates. This is proven in the eye test and in advanced stats.

Quote:
Brassard holds the proud title of the worst shot share on the Penguins overall. That’s not good! At 5v5 with Brassard on the ice, the Penguins allow 10 more shots against than shots for per 60 minutes

https://www.pensburgh.com/2019/1/17/181 ... tics-stats

Here's a decent article that explains such.

Quote:
Brassard is easily Pittsburgh’s most “overused” forward. He has gotten the fifth most amount of ice time among forwards, while producing at a lower rate than every forward but Riley Sheahan.

Look, sometimes players don't fit. That's just what's happening here. He's not fitting in, and he's not playing well. He needs to go.

2) Brassard is not the type of player to fill a L4 role.

The Penguins have (wrongly) been filling the 4th line with ham and eggers. Brassard is not much a defensive player, and he's not much of a two-way guy. The very reasons Rutherford and Sullivan have been grotesquely slobbering the knob of AHL fodder like Garrett Wilson are the exact reasons why Brassard will never see a role as a L4 center.

Let me rant off of this one a bit.

Jim Rutherford is a highly flawed general manager. Mike Sullivan is falling into the trap that every single coach does after some level of success.

The amount of terrible errors and in-the-moment thinking that Rutherford has done over the last two seasons have maybe closed the window on the Malkin/Crosby era. Let's review.

Rutherford has shown his inability to understand what made his team successful in its two SC runs: quick puck movement (speed/forecheck) and 4 lines that can score.

The Ryan Reaves trade sacrificed a roster spot, a decent C prospect when the team was set to go with Greg McKegg a 3C to start the season, and 20 spots in the draft. We all know how that turned out. This was a universally panned move when it happened.

Not willing to see their best prospect take his lumps, Sullivan and Rutherford practically ran Daniel Sprong out of town. Though his game is still growing and has left a lot to be desired, Sprong now has 11 points in 21 games for the Ducks. With more consistent playing time and more offensively attuned linemates, Sprong could have grown in the bottom 6 for the Penguins. Instead, the team has a 4th line currently of Sheahan, Cullen, and Wilson...and Rutherford and Sullivan couldn't be happier with them.

Sure, they got Marcus Pettersson in return, who has mostly carried Jack Johnson until this recent West Coast trip, but one could imagine such a player, had the Penguins needed him, could have been had for a third round pick or so.

Least we forget some of the earlier pre-Cup failures of Rutherford, such as his trade of Despres for Lovejoy, which additionally left the Penguins in a cap hell that forced them to dress only 5 defenders for a uncomfortable portion of the remainder of the season.

Speaking of the early days of Jim, he thought it a wise idea to hire a coach who had zero NHL head coaching experience in Mike Johnston and one that hadn't had experience outside the WHL in six years. At this time, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin were 27 and 28 years old, and that's who the new GM selected. I highly doubt Sullivan, who was years removed from head coaching himself, was hired solely as the "contingency plan" in WBS.

In perhaps the easiest pick for the worst signing in the NHL, Rutherford decided to give Jack Johnson a 5 year contract for 3.5 million a season. This fucking guy was -110 +/- for his career and had been benched the season prior in Columbus. Holy shit this was bad. It was so bad that Pittsburgh media was already doing damage control, explaining that he would like be sacrificed to Seattle in an upcoming expansion draft or bought out in a work stoppage. Man. For a cap team, this is a fucking devastating move and one that could cripple them for half a decade. A reminder: the Penguins shed 5.5 million dollars in the salary dump trade of Sheary and Hunwick...and they used that money on Jack Johnson.

I already mentioned the fact the Penguins entered last season with Greg McKegg as the 3rd line center.

I'm blaming this one on Sullivan, but the teams exile of Ian Cole was appalling, especially considering his direct replacement was Jack Johnson.

Did I mention Jack Johnson?

Rutherford learned nothing about player health and playstyle from past signings of guys like Milan Lucic. Hornqvist is a fan favorite and an absolute madman. It would have been a hard decision to see him leave, but that's exactly what Rutherford should have done via trade or not offering him an extension. Hornqvist's body is breaking down, and he just doesn't fit on either of the top two lines as constructed. Hornqvist sometimes worked with Malkin when Hagelin was on the other side, but Hagelin is gone. Since Guentzel and Crosby have become a pair, Hornqvist has been oil/water with that line. He's just not great in the neutral zone, and he only seems to be getting worse. So, basically the Penguins, a cap team, are paying a guy around 6+ million who is going to be injured for large chunks of the season, probably playing on the third line, and maybe used as a power play specialist. This works for Kessel in theory, but Kessel can produce without help. Kessel is a line driver. Hornqvist is not. Looking at it deeper, the Penguins want Kessel on his own line. If Hornqvist doesn't play well with Malkin or Crosby, and Kessel is on L3, you're all but guaranteeing Hornqvist is on L4. Ok. Dumb.

I've said this before, but the team had an overabundance of RW and very little at LW entering the season. Considering Hagelin (LW) was a UFA at the end of this season, it'd be logical that Rutherford should have invested more heavily into LW during the offseason and not added $10 million in salary at a RW position that already had Kessel making nearly $7 million and two guys on entry level contracts who seemed ready to at least prove themselves (Simon and ZAR). Rust was re-signed for $3.5/yr, even though he is the same breakdown effort guy that usually fizzles out around 28 (ala Tyler Kennedy), and minus a stretch of about 10 games, Rust more or less has been a nonfactor this season.

The Penguins should have elected to re-sign (at most) one of Hornqvist and Rust. Not both. As configured, I would have leaned toward Rust.

Rutherford more or less righted this but only on a small, low impact scale this season when he traded for Pearson. It brought a player with term and a decent salary to the LW position. Unfortunately, many more skilled impact players, something really needed in the top 6, were passed over in free agency.

Did I mention money that could have went toward someone like JVR was spent on Jack Johnson? We're not even going to mention the trade opportunities both then and now for a LW.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:38 pm 

great post hack. interesting. why I come here to learn from u guys who know!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:47 pm 

bam morris wrote:
great post hack. interesting. why I come here to learn from u guys who know!
Yup. There are a few guys here that are smart as fuck. Way smarter than me. That's why I continue to click. . .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:50 pm 

Damn...that was a hell of a post.

Pens have looked great at times this year, and have looked dreadful at others. Really interested in what they look like after the mini break. And REALLY need Schultz back ASAP.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:03 pm 

I agree with all of this... but one point: Hornqvist works because:

A. he's the difference between having a nice power play unit and a devastatingly sublime one
B. he is an essential element on nights where you need a dirty win because the other stuff isn't working vs. this opponent

So, I think you find a path for him in the top 2, because he's good enough there to hang and he is so vital in the two areas I mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:36 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

A. he's the difference between having a nice power play unit and a devastatingly sublime one
B. he is an essential element on nights where you need a dirty win because the other stuff isn't working vs. this opponent

So, I think you find a path for him in the top 2, because he's good enough there to hang and he is so vital in the two areas I mentioned.

There are just as many arguments for keeping Hornqvist as against. It's almost a necessary sacrifice I saw the Penguins making.

I can't emphasize how fantastically fucking stupid the Johnson signing was. Rutherford seems content on getting as close to the cap and giving himself as little wiggle room as possible in any given season. Consider this offseason.

The Penguins had the following at RW: Hornqvist, Kessel, Rust, Sheary, Simon, Aston-Reese, and Sprong.

Let's say they do no re-sign Rust. Now, let's say they don't sign Jack Johnson either.

The Penguins would have around $7 million in cap space. Can you imagine that amount of cap space and the leverage it would bring to the trade deadline this season? The Penguins would able to afford two premium players (7+ million). People have mentioned Jordan Staal, who fits this team like a glove to this day. There would be zero need for retention. He'd be able to slide right into the Penguins lineup.

The Penguins would also be able to explore more options with Sheary in this scenario. Do they keep him for half a season and send him off as part of a trade for Staal? Even if they retain Sheary (who could play LW), they'd still be up in cap space by $4 million, though they'd probably still have Hunwick. Either way, Hunwick's contract would become a lot easier to move at that point (this season's deadline) in a cap dump over the albatross that is Jack Johnson.

Assuming the Sheary trade still happens, the Penguins still have the following at RW:
Hornqvist
Simon
ZAR
Sprong
Kessel

That's still very, very strong. They'd also have 7 MILLION in cap space. So what depth is really lost? Rust is projected to get 38 points this season, which is right in line with his salary. Typically, a player should receive 1 million per every 10 points they score. Intangibles or specialties could add or subtract from that total (penalty killer, defensive specialist). Now, to be completely honest, Rust's salary is actually pretty favorable to some of the guys in his same role. One could even call him a bargain. Here's the thing though, a team should NEVER pay a big contract to a bottom 6 winger (unless they're an obvious skill player in a unique situation like Kessel) because the production of replacement level players usually isn't far off. In Rust's case, a entry level salary at that position could have a greater impact if the money retained was used in other ways (upgrade to top 4 D; upgrade to top 6 F). For example, ZAR is averaging .37 pts/game while still killing penalties, with a significantly higher d-zone start%, and with significantly lower quality of teammate compared to Rust's .48 pts/game for nearly 3 million more.

The cup-winning teams from a few years ago won because they ended up trusting young, entry level contracts over high salary veterans in the bottom 6. Rust was once one of those players.

In this alternate reality, who is to say whether Schultz gets injured early in the season. Either way, the D still has Schultz, Letang, Dumo, Maatta, Ruh, Oleksiak, and Riikola. There's a solid top 4 in there. If you add Pettersson, who was available regardless of Sprong because of the overabundance of D talent in Anaheim, it doesn't add much against salary and the Pens are up to 8 NHL dmen again.

Maybe in this scenario the Penguins keep Hunwick and do not re-sign Oleksiak, freeing someone like Sheary to go to Anaheim and maybe a pick for Pettersson.

So, with around 7-9 million in cap space at this point with the extended cap and the money the team frees from Brassard via trade, disposal of Riley Sheahan, and holding on to Hagelin and letting his contract expire, maybe, just maybe, they find that sharpshooting fit for the top 6 LW next offseason: Artemi Panarin.

Yes, that signing could happen (with creativity) even if the Penguins also have Staal on the roster. The most I offered Panarin within reason was 9 million (on cap friendly), and it gets a lot easier if it's 8 million. If they fill the 3C hole with a cheaper alternative to Staal, a guy like Panarin could be fit in with wiggle room.

None of this can happen because the Penguins signed Jack Johnson (and Rust).

Would you rather have Jack Johnson and Rust or a premium top 6 player or 3C?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:09 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

That's where I'm at: Horny is so valuable on the PP. It's no coincidence that prior to his arrival our PP was mediocre considering the talent we threw on the ice. And look at this west coast trip without Horny in the lineup. The PP is night and day

You win with guys like him...he's a max effort guy- those are the types of player that bring energy, especially in playoff games. Horny will be a bad contract in a few years but I don't care- he's worth it to keep the Pens' window open.

And don't get me started on Sprong...he got a raw fucking deal. Here is a guy who is lighting up the AHL at RW- he essentially had zero left to prove down there in that role. With the Pens having ZIP on the Left side, why the fuck didn't they see if he was versatile enough to flip and try it out down there? Hell James fucking Neal was an established NHLer when he came to the Pens and Bylsma told him he was flipping sides, why can't a prospect do the same? If Sprong couldn't cut it at LW then at least you know it's not viable...this organization didn't even try!

I'm convinced Sully didn't like Sprong just like he didn't like Ian Cole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:18 am 

sid looks in top form in all star game! MVP. :D personally id rather he was resting his old bones for the stretch run!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next